I think I know why some DOTM toys are meh while others are epic

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Torque, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    because the meh ones already have epic toys. meh DOTM toy, awesome ROTF toy. Meh DOTM BB, EPIC BB BB. See what i mean? then the epic toys, like Sentinel and Shockwave and new Megs get their new stuff cause they dont already have toys of their likeness in the movies

2. Sideways77

Sideways77 some garbage is okay

News Credits:
    I don't get what you are saying.

I think some DOTM toys suck is because the Prime toyline is coming out at the same time.

3. stilettoheels

stilettoheels Banned

i think the movie toys suck cuz their movie toys.

4. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    Well that's just wrong, sport. Prime toys don't launch until October; DOTM toys launch in May.

And all Torque is saying is that the 'meh' toys we've seen already have well done toys (i.e....well I actually like all of the DOTM toys we've seen so far, but I guess Voyager Prime and whatever. You get the point.)

5. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I think some DOTM toys are meh while others are epic because it's like that in every toyline.

6. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    honestly i think hasbro has other things on their radar at this point...continuing generations line through 2011 and beyond...launching the Transformers: Prime toy line(someone said in another thread that they have commited to 3 seasons)....the transformers movie trilogy is shooting the third round out the gun....so as a sales beacon there are other items competing with it....so i believe that hasbro is focusing on all things equally at the moment...so the movie toys are going to get not as much of a push...ROTF and human alliance and HFTD were hasbro efforts to keep movies toys in the kiddie's radar between movies...no more movies planned at the moment....

So no huge push to keep the line going and going and going...like before.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    A-greed.

That doesn't make any sense. As said, Prime launches well after DOTM, and even then why would one line suffer because of the other?

8. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

That is kind of right, but not exactly how you're envisioning it. We only think these are bad toys because they aren't the toys that we've been playing with and loving. It's not really a secret plan by Hasbro to not put effort into rehashed characters. If they were going to do that, we would see more molds being reused.

9. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Simultaneous development is a possible answer.

10. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

You don't really understand how toy development works, do you? They have different people working on different things, and Hasbro has LOTS of people to put to work on making toys.

11. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    Some DOTM are meh while some others are epic because no one actually has them yet

12. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, the majority of the line is meh/easily passable due to the fact that I've grown tired of the movie aesthetic. I'll be getting a handful of figures to make a nice rounded movie collection, but after that I'll be done with it. Once October rolls around, the vast majority of my TF collecting will be focused on TFP, and maybe Generations, assuming it's still around by then (or whatever the Classics-styled line to come after Generations will be called).

More power to those that are still very much interested in the movie line. It just doesn't interest me any more, lol.

13. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Because all of the DOTM line will sell themselves, kids will be excited by the movie and by all the exposure to the franchise and buy them even if they are terrible. Hasbro knows this so they're focusing on post-DOTM because that's where they'll need to start trying by themselves again (as with every non-movie line) without the backing they receive during the movie's run.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    My take?

Some movie designs were simply able to handle the "let's make transformers kids can actually play with again" initiative better than others.

fairly simple.

15. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Frankly, I think that there are some contributing factors.

The first would be the Mech Tech. I really think that stuff eats away at the toys' budgets, and some of them really suffer because of that. I mean, it's already been confirmed that the reason the toys are smaller is because of Mech Tech.

The second would be that because Hasbro realizes that Mech Tech is eating away at the budgets, that they're really pushing for the new characters to get good toys, and then to focus on guys like Ratchet and Ironhide who have mainly gotten Repaints in the past to get better toys, no need to worry about Prime and Bumblebee because they're going to sell no matter what.

The third would be that these are all new molds. Except for I believe the Voyager Ratchet and Starscream, every single toy in this line is brand new. So in the end, I think we're dealing with this:

All new molds + Gimmicky weapons + New characters that require more focus = Hits and Misses.

16. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

I do understand how it works, I was simply throwing a remotely possible answer out there. Yes, HasTak has a lot of people to put to work making the toys. But simultaneous development could cause problems at the design stage. A designer might well rush one toy's design to give him or herself more time on the design for a different toy.

Personally, I won't judge the Dark of the Moon toys until they come out.