I think Hasbro is having production problems.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Scorpion, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was at Target this morning, and went to the toy aisle in the futile search for something new...as usual there was nothing....but it got me to thinking. In my area, everyone who sells toys is relatively low on Hasbro product. Now, if you want to say "There isn't a movie so Transformers are being under ordered"...I can believe that. If you want to say "Because of Rise of Cobra, stores are barely ordering G.I.Joe because they didn't sell well." I can believe that. Here's why I don't think that's the case: They are also all VERY low on Star Wars and Beyblade. Star Wars, as far as I know, has been the top selling boys toy for YEAAAAAAAARS show or no show...and stores here have maybe 5 or 6 figures PERIOD...for a HUUUGE SELLER. I don't know if this is true everywhere or not, but Beyblades are big around here. My son is six and most of his classmates are nuts over Beyblade. The local Target made a large space for them at the beginning of the year, but have never gotten in a more than a case or so at a time. So yeah...merely speculation on my part, but I think I'm on to something.

2. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a combination of many different things. For one, the economy is #1 reason. Not only do kids buy toys, but parents buy toys for their kids, and right now, parents are more concerned about their mortgages than buying toys for their kids. Things are improving, but not to a point where it was in 2007-08. Reduction in sales has caused retailers (Wal-Mart, Target, Toys R Us, etc) to order less product. All product gets shipped on the same boats from China, so generally when there is a mass decrease in product ordering, less gets shipped over here (of ALL product), hence the major droughts we are experincing. To top it off, retailers want to maximize their sales so they are only ordering product that they KNOW will sell well (i.e. - DOTM toys getting released on May 16th) because it will be marketed so heavily. It is my opinion that it has nothing to do with the production on Hasbro's part. This is why some of their "overstock" eventually gets alternative release, such as in Ross, TJ Maxx, and Marshalls, or online stores like BBTS, etc.

3. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    The TF issue isn't just distribution.

A local standard retailer was expecting RTS Voyager in or around Jan 20th. It said as much on their website. A month went by and they never showed up.

A couple of online retailers were also left hanging after being given release dates. And IIRC Even BBTS didn't get all the RTS Voyagers they actually ordered in their initial shipment.

4. Scorpion

News Credits:
    dguastel

I don't think that is the case. Obviously I only have my area to speak of, (so I'm not saying it's FACT) but..everything else seems to be in really good supply. Barbies are full on the shelves, Bakugan have a huuuge space that is constantly restocked, as are Halo figures, Crysis figures, Hot Wheels, Matchbox, etc...all of these toys have full or near full pegs, and are restocked frequently.

5. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's opinion, not fact. It doesn't explain everything by any means, but I believe it is somewhat true. Regardless, that doesn't explain what the original poster was saying. It still doesn't account for Hasbro toy "production" in general. Like I said, it is a combination of many different things.

6. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    My area's stocked fine: Just old waves.

7. Scorpion

News Credits:
    I am the original poster...how does it not explain it? Do you really think that for some reason all of the toy stores in Indiana have decided "F Hasbro...we won't order their merch anymore?" It is opinion absolutely and I am entitled to mine.

8. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, I experienced that first hand. I placed an order for the Generations Thundercracker on a website that said the release date was February. Half way into Feb, I e-mailed them to see if they were shipping it out, only to find the release date was pushed back to this month. Long story short, I received my order during the second week of this month.

9. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, sorry, lol. Of course you are entitled to your opinion, I never said you weren't. I just gave you my opinion. I can't explain what is going on in your area. I just don't believe it is production problems on Hasbro's part.

10. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    There may be some validity to that. I talk to a manager for the Toy Department at a local Walmart every time I go in the morning. He's told me that he has ordered the toys, but he has to wait for them to get to him from the distribution center. Not only that, they also have another problem. This may just be specific to his store, but this morning I saw him trying to fit "overstock" on shelves. Nothing I wanted (or anyone else here for that matter unless you want a lot of my little pony stuff and a ton of "bop its" (?), and girl type toys) and he was complaining that he couldn't even fit them on the allotted space on each mod. There were even a ton left over wave 14 from DC Universe that they still haven't been able to get rid of. Which would explain why I've never seen any wave 15s or...16s....or 17s...... When I left, he was telling me something about a certain toy that he only had room for so many, but had 1400 on hand (I forget what though).

As for star wars figures......I've found the new wave of stuff in amongst new hot wheels, and jada cars. No new GI Joes yet though. I found shadow tracker, low light, sky dive and the new destro at another walmart that doesn't seem to have the problem of overstock that some walmarts do.

11. Scorpion

News Credits:
    I'll say the same thing that I said on Hisstank. Just check your area next time and see...

12. Scorpion

News Credits:
    I think there is definite validity to "less sales makes less product ordered" but I don't think that explains all of it

13. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I asked an employee at my TRU and at a Walmart why I they haven't had any new G.I.Joe figs (or any on the pegs for that matter) and I was told at both locations that they have stopped carrying them. I was a little bit shocked.

14. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    Yeah.....the only way to find out is to talk to a manager there. Hopefully they'll be upfront with ya. I've only been able to establish good rapport with two walmarts. The others.....well they seem to have this extreme hatred for collectors. And only because there's a few in town that have give us all a bad name :( 

15. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    I do know that the TRU in my area still carries Joes, but it seems like they get them once in a blue moon. I'm going to have to ask next time I go there. As for Walmarts in my area....its basically what you said, but there's only two that still carry them.

16. Scorpion

News Credits:
    I have asked and only gotten a "I don't really know" type of answer...

17. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Think it's the stores themselves, not the distributors.

They know the movie and it's toyline are coming very soon, so I just think many of them are being very hesitant ordering new product when they know they've already purchased droves of movie figures to warm the shelves for many many months to come.

18. Scorpion

News Credits:
    but again...that doesn't explain lack of other Hasbro products...

19. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have another theory for you guys. Last waves from a line and new movie coming out does not make a good combo for collectors looking for new stuff. Retailers tend to hold off on large orders between TF lines. Especial when a new movie is soon to be released.

20. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have been to many Walmarts/Targets/Toys R US frequently in Arizona and I see plenty of Hasbro product, just not new stuff.