I suck at this game, what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    This is the first modern shooter game I've ever owned, so I'm really struggling with the two joystick controls. For example: I was running down a aisle way, and run past one of the enemies. I immediately throw my right joystick hard to the right so I can turn and shoot him. As I"m going around, I get shot in the back til I'm dead. I never was able to spin around fast enough to get him in view, yet he was able to get around fast enough to shoot me. What gives? Is there a trick to it I don't know?

Also, I was playing as scientist cause I love to fly. Yet, every time I faced off against another player, I'd fill him full of holes and he'd shoot me like twice and I'm dead. I was told it was because I was facing a soldier and they take more shots to kill. So I play as soldier next time, find myself in a similar situation with a scientist, only this time, it happens the same way. I fill him full of holes, and he shoots me like twice and I'm dead.

I'm lucky to get 2 or 3 kills, yet I will die like 9 times. I try to do what other people do, but my guy on the screen just will not do what I want it to, and I always seem to be outmatched no matter what class I choose. I know they say the only way to get better is to keep playing, but a lot of times I won't even see the guy coming ( so how do they always see me? ) and I'll turn a corner and go down with one hit. This has even happened when I was soldier with a full life meter and over armor. And if I do happen to see the guy, I can't spin around fast enough and get clobbered.

Anybody have any advice?

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Practice, practice, practice. You're at a disadvantage to begin with going in without experience in other shooter games, but the more you play the more you'll get the hang of it. Some tips:

1) Learn to aim (and hit) in the head. That's a big part of why people are killing you faster than you're killing them; experienced shooter gamers can consistently and quickly aim and get head shots. You can empty an assault rifle clip and not kill somebody if your aim is off; one shot from a shotgun to the head will kill you.
    2) Use the left trigger to focus your aim, it helps lots. If you're not using that, chances are you think you're hitting somebody and you're really not because the spread is wider.
    3) It sounds from the way you're describing it that you're trying to turn around in place, which is much slower than if you use the left and right sticks in tandem to turn. It also makes you a sitting duck. Never, ever, ever, ever stand still, except MAYBE if you're a cloaked Scout setting up to snipe somebody, and even then don't stop for more than a few seconds.
    3) Learn to use your abilities and weapons to your advantage and minimize your class disadvantages. Don't try using a shotgun at long range, don't try using a sniper gun in a firefight. USE your abilities. They regenerate pretty quickly, and you automatically get them back after you die, you may as well use them.
    4) Try to think of it almost as a fighting game and combo things together. For example, say you're a Scientist on Conquest. You know someone on the other team is capturing a node. Fly high, swoop down towards them and shoot off a rocket or two as you approach the node, transform and land, hit them pointblank with your shotgun once or twice, then use Shockwave to damage them and throw them back away from the node, then immediately transform and fly off before they can recover. This entire process can be done in 2 or 3 seconds, it's going to hit them 3-5 times with powerful attacks and they're likely not going to know what hit them to counter you.
    5) I would suggest trying out all the classes, and in turn try all of their abilities. Everybody seems to have their own favorite class and ability mix that works best for them.
    6) There's a killstreak where someone can one hit kill you after they activate it no matter how much health you have. If you encounter somebody that has that, RUN, let a more experienced player on your team take care of them.
    7) Know that there ARE cheaters that have figured out how to mix classes, abilities, and spam killstreaks that they haven't earned. If you see somebody firing off omega missiles repeatedly or obviously glitching (i.e., a cloaked Leader, a Scientist with Whirlwind, a Scout with POKE 2.0 getting one hit kills), honestly, just finish out the round and then quit out and find a different group; no sense letting cheaters ruin your fun.

3. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's nothing to do but practice and get better.
    I mean, that's pretty much it. An experienced FPS player can bury a new player even if you have every advantage. Just give it time, practice, and you'll get better.

4. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Thanks for the tips KidDynamite. Although I was moving with both sticks, and still couldn't turn fast enough. Plus, I'm on PS3, so I have no left trigger. I assume you mean the L1 button which zooms in, but then the target moves slower and can't keep up with the running robot. Head shots... ouch. I'm just not good enough yet. I can't seem to control the right stick well enough to bead someone's head. Not on purpose anyway.

What is the best way to get experience besides online play? I don't last long enough to really get used to the controls or figure out what I'm doing. I need to live long enough to get to try out some moves and abilities.

5. xxxx8BALLxxxx

xxxx8BALLxxxx Member

I would say play escalation -and experience all classes. But just like what the others posted - practice , practice , practice and get a feel how the classes work, and hopefully you have decent teammates to work with.

6. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Oh crap, I die so fast in escalation. If I get with a good group and we play the Autobot map and work our way upstairs, I can stay for a while. But I still die pretty fast. lol. I'll try that though.

7. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    This sounds just like me with CoD Modern Warfare 2 on PS3. I sucked real bad at first. What I did was play off line for the first few days. From there you just have to work at it.

8. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Why do people have a fear of dying in these games, it doesn't matter if you die a lot, its the nature of a shooter.

9. xxxx8BALLxxxx

xxxx8BALLxxxx Member

In esclation mode I use the little guys - barricade , arcee, jazz, an deadend = faster,smaller target , an they have decent specials. I also think that their car mode guns shoot pretty fast and are very accurate.
    jamspeed's idea of playing thru the campaign (offline) is a great way of getting practice,just go thru on hard difficulty.

10. RatchetMD

RatchetMD Member

I suggest you stick to team based modes while playing online until you are more comfortable with the controls, that way not everyone out there is gunning for you. Like anything I'm sure you'll get better with time.

If you haven't yet, try beating the campaign on hard. That'll be good practice.

11. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Escalation is decent practice to an extent, but AI characters don't behave unpredictably the way human opponents will, and you're not going to see all the abilities that you'll encounter online. But it is a good way to get the feel for controls and aiming.

I don't play Soldier or Leader much, but one of them can immediately turn 180 degrees in vehicle mode with the push of a button. That may be why people are turning so fast on you too.

To practice your aim, try this: start a private Escalation match so nobody can join you. Pick Air Raid and play on the Broken Hope map. At the very beginning while Megatron is talking, look up. See that bridge way up high that crosses the middle of the level? Fly up there, and STAY up there unless you need ammo or health. Although enemies can still shoot and hit you up here, it's fairly safe...if they're putting too much heat on you, you can just step back towards the wall behind you, away from the edge, and they won't be able to hit you anymore. When you're ready step up to the edge and take aim. There's an enemy spawn point up here, but not many enemies come out of it, so it's not a huge problem. After a few rounds jets will show up, and obviously they'll be able to hit you with ease, so make them a priority when you see them. If you need ammo or health during a round, cloak (this is why it's important to pick Air Raid, as he can both fly up to the bridge AND has a cloak ability) and fly to the generators, the fly back up to the bridge before the cloak ends. Ignore enemies while you're doing this...if you shoot them you'll decloak. Don't be scared, they'll ignore you even if you bump into them. Early on, the health is right through the door directly below you on the bridge, in the large building; the ammo is through the door down and to the right from the bridge on the other side. There's a locked door just to the left of the ammo, open that to get to the overshield, make it a priority to open that door as soon as you can. Once you have, open one of the other locked doors in the overshield room so you can get to it quicker from your bridge perch.

Don't be afraid to die or get hit. Single player games tend to train us mentally that if we die or get hit we did something wrong and are bad at the game. That's not the case in multiplayer. Even the best players die a few times every round. It's just a different style.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  12. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Another thing you could try is a different class, at least until you get a feel for how the game plays. Those scientists are cool, but they're made of glass - maybe try the leader or soldier, and that way at least you'll live a little longer and maybe get more "hang time" to shoot back at whoever is shooting at you ;) 

Stick with it, though - it's great!

13. Starfire22

Starfire22 I am dirty dan!

News Credits:
    I agree with what DethPike said, instead of sticking with one class, get the feel for the other classes, and choose the one that best fits you. (i did the same thing with Team fortress 2, and star wars battlefront 1/2)

14. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Thanks guys. I think scientists do fit me best for the way I play. Fly in, take a few shots, and fly out. I just don't get many kills that way. I've used soldier and seem to do the best with him, but I can't fly or launch sentries. Scouts are good on some maps, but their only strength is cloak. I've gotten some kills by cloaking and taking head shots, but usually get killed before my cloak recharges. They're not very powerful and don't hold up well in head on battles. Of course, that could change with better aim and head shots.

15. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Another thing I did (and this is the first online shooter I've played too) is to start a private MP match with only yourself. You can practice strategies, get a feel for the controls and best of all... learn the maps. Get feel for where things are, especially where the overshields are in each level. Once I learned that, things did get a lot easier.

A 2/4x xp weekend doesn't hurt either.

Also, I've found that being on the ground in the fray racks up more xp points than flying to a perch and sniping. You have unlimited lives. Use them.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  16. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    What system are you playing on, Insane Galvatron? If it's 360, I've got nothing to do later after work - we could hop into a private match and you can shoot at me for awhile if you want. My gamertag on 360 is GreaterDethPike. You can get a feel for what guns do what, ranges, when a good time to reload is, etc etc.

And don't discount your vehicle weapons either - you like the scientist you'd said, and those rockets on the jet mode have a long range and are pretty nasty unless your target has the Flak Armor option on. Don't be afraid to rain missiles onto people ;) 

17. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not that great at the game either (depending on the day and which class I use) if you're judging by kill/death ratio. Each class will have a different play style. My problem is I basically try to play them all the same way. It will just take time and patience to learn how to use them effectively.

18. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Take advantage of the fact that your health reheals a quarter-bar, while your A.I. enemies' health does not. It's totally believable that you'll spend a lot of time behind cover, working out the A.I. villain's attack pattern - if you're relatively new to first-person shooters, spend some time getting used to each bad guy's shuck & jive. Once you've got their pattern down, you can figure out when to jump up and peg a few shots into them. And a few more. And a few more. And then BADOOOOM and you've got yourself a dead baddie and some loot to steal.

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think I'm going to get a mouse. This aiming with a laptop touch pad shit is hard. :lol 

20. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I'm on PS3. Thanks for the offer though.

I'll keep that in mind for scientist. I usually get back to robot mode as quick as possible because for some reason I keep thinking I can die easier in alt mode.