I some camera advice.

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Ian7, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Ian7

Ian7 LOOK AT MY SIG AND CLICK

I want to get a new camera for Christmas. The old one I have can not focus up close on tiny action figures (robot heroes), so it's hard for me to do my comics. I asked my brother (dinobotnuva) what is important in a camera. And after he told me shutterspeed before i could ask another question he directed me here.

SO, do any of you know of any camera's that can focus close up on small objects and that are also good camera's in general, that are currently on the market.

Yes it has to be digital.

Thank you for your help!

-Ian7
    ha sorry for the bad grammar in the title
    typo x)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Really, any good camera with MACRO mode is what you're looking for. I recommend a Canon.

Out of curiosity, what Make and Model camera do you have now? Perhaps it has a macro mode and you didn't realize it/know what you were looking for?

3. Ian7

i have a nikon coolpix L3
    my macro setting has been on, but it never really helps i can hardly tell the difference when its off
    and money isn't really a issue here (cause im not buying :D  )

4. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I've been considering a new camera as well. Tired of using my cell phone for pics.

5. GogDog

News Credits:
    I'd recommend a Canon A650. The flip-out screen is awesome.

6. Ian7

i looked it up online
    it looks very nice
    i will go look at it in stores before i make my final decision thanks a lot dude
    349.99 suggested retail? damn lol

7. GogDog

News Credits:
    I used to see them online all the time for less than $300. And I doubt you will see these in most brick-and-mortar stores. For some reason, they never seem to carry the good point-and-shoots.

8. akum6n

akum6n Bootleg

I used to do fine with a Canon Powershot. Just be sure to buy a small tripod to go with it.

9. GogDog

News Credits:
    Yup. Get a Gorillapod SLR (actual model name) and you're good to go. Those work GREAT for macro shots.

10. panzerjedi

panzerjedi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    P&S cameras are overpriced for what they do. Take the leap into the realm of digital SLR cameras - you won't be disappointed. =)

I <3 my Canon Rebel XSi.

But if you must get a P&S, make sure it has image stabilization (Canon term, called vibration reduction on Nikon cameras). IS/VR does the same thing. Zoomed in shots require either a tripod and remote shooting or IS if you must hand hold the camera - it'll turn out blurry otherwise.

Another thing to note is that you may just have your camera too close to the subject. Every camera lens has a minimum focus distance that you should be aware of.

Some people concern themselves over the megapixel count and LCD quality. For one, the LCD is very misleading imo. It's good for getting an idea of how the shot looks like, but is by no means an accurate representation of your picture. Megapixels just mean a larger image, and is no representation on image quality.

11. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

exactly. don't be foolrd by an extra mega pixel or two.

12. akum6n

akum6n Bootleg

This is just my thought, but I would really start with something lower tier than a digital SLR if you are just getting into toy photography. A good P&S, with all of its limitations, is a good way to learn the basics and decide what you value in a camera. You'd be surprised at the shots you can get with some practice and a solid setup.