I saw all the new toys released today. What did you think?

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Tycho, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

I went to Wal-Mart to check them out. They'd stocked everything by the time I arrived - about 4am.

Here are my thoughts: I liked the non-Transforming Cyber-Stomper big talking toys for the kids the best. I love how it shouts: "I am OPTIMUS PRIME!" I talked along with it while passing employees thought I was crazy. But a girl who was stocking came by and joined me and together we were saying (in unison with Prime): "Autobots: transform and roll out!" And we played with the Voice Changer helmet too - which sounds even LESS like Peter Cullen (that man IS Optimus Prime)!

Anyway, I like stuff being to scale with each other and not having a lot of kibble.

Barely OK in size:

Leader Optimus Prime
    BumbleBee
    Jazz
    Ironhide
    Ratchet
    Barricade

- you could buy all of the above and have a fairly in-scale collection.

Needing Leader Class Size or even a Deluxe Leader Class size:

Megatron (no toys of him were present btw - the only one missing)
    Starscream
    Blackout w/ Scorponok
    Brawl
    BoneCrusher

- It might be possible to buy the above toys and get MiniCons of Jazz, BumbleBee, Ratchet, Ironhide to go with them. I'm not sure if a Voyager-size Optimus Prime (also not there) would then be appropriate. But the MiniCon figures I've seen really suck.

I like my solution better: hold on for Alternators of the Autobots and MPEs of the Decepticons or don't bother buying anything (except for stock in Hasbro because they're obviously doing well with retail stores ordering quantities like what I saw of Spider-Man and Fantastic Four stuff (not stocked yet) as well.

All this being said, I spent 1/2 hour looking at the figures in detail. Enough so I wouldn't have to go to Target later (there's nothing they'll get in which I'll need in so far as Star Wars right now, so....)

Ironhide, Ratchet - very impressive actually. I like their look. Ironhide's kibble doesn't seem too irritating to me. I like him in black.

BumbleBee - alright. I could live with that if I hadn't seen Alternators that were better.

Jazz - he's kind of large and fat for a car, isn't he? I thought a Solstace was small?

Leader Prime? - maybe he ought to be sturdier quality. I played with him in his Try-Me packaging, but the Cyber-Stomper impressed me more.

Starscream - really pathetic kibble. This one's not cool.

Blackout - might be cool if there was a collection he was scaled to. I'd love a MPE of this character.

Brawl - too small for a deluxe. I've heard there would be a Leader (or was it Voyager Class?) figure on the horizon. This is necessary for a combat tank.

Barricade - he's pretty good except his hands or lack of, are horrible. Wal-Mart had their exclusive 2-pack vs. BumbleBee so I could see him in robot form. Barricade would be impressive but his hands ruin the figure.

BoneCrusher - never should be a Deluxe figure. He needs to be Voyager-Class at least. It's a nice design though. People who aren't concerned with a uniform scale will probably like this figure.

Scorponok - Deluxe. I didn't see him. Morbid curiousity made me slightly interested. I'd never transform him into a robot, but I wonder how his scale would match up with my Alternator cars. So purchasing him remains a possbility.

They had the Real Gear which was interesting, but not inspiring of a purchase. Equally rating were the Robot Heroes. I looked at some other stuff for kids which launched missles - Brawl was featured amongst them.

In any case, MPE Skywarp remains the only planned purchase of mine that I have for Transformers in the near future.

2. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    So... this is a review, based on you just looking at the figures. You didn't purchase anything?

You judged the figures based on their size ratio of their alt mode. And if they aren't 1/24th scale like the Altenators, you don't like them?

You liked Cyber Stomping Prime over Leader Prime.

OK, I have read enough, these reviews are a joke.

3. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

Btw, if you haven't noticed, Hasbro does not believe in a uniform scale for tf toys.

I haven't been out today yt, but i'm sure 30 minutes for all the figures in boxes isn't enough for a quality review. I bought 3 the other day and still haven't learned how to work one of them properly (baricade's dam legs). So maybe you should buy the figures, review them, and post where the other reviews go :) 

4. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

barricade is the cop car right? I got him today, his legs are a pain in the under regions.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    reviewing stuff based on what you saw in a store, without buying any of them?

wtf?

6. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bounce to Toyark ?

7. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    Since this thread exists:

A) It was awesome to see a wall of TF merchandise just appear at Wal-mart. There should be street dates for all TFs from now on.

B) I did some 'window' shopping as well. I was always going to get SS and Ratchet. After that, I was interested in Wreckage. Well, I passed on Wreckage and bough Leader Prime and Ironhide as well. They just looked neater in person.

The same can be said for pretty much everything actually. Brawl, Bumblebee, and Bonecrusher...3 I was going to pass on almost tempted me to purchase them and the others which I had no interest in at all at least looked passable.

C) general thoughts on the line based on what I bought: I like automorphing a lot. Nifty little addition to the tf'n process. Also, the transformations in general were fun and nicely complex without being finnicky.

8. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    "Roger Ebert gave a thumbs down today to Transformers after staring at a promotional poster for 5 minutes. According to him, some big robot eye floating over Earth can't possibly be a good movie."

9. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

Correct. Others can post their reviews who did purchase the toys here, too. I just didn't see a thread for it and started it. If the toys had inspired me to buy them, then that would be the case instead.

Well, the Alternators brought me back into buying Transformers period. I own 10 of them, as I'm VERY particular about what I buy. But I have an extensive Star Wars collection and while I was out in the toy isles, these Transformers "called to me." Back in 1984-1988 or so, I had every G1 figure and religiously never missed an episode of the cartoon. The Alts I purchased were the ones that did justice for those characters.

Back in the day, the fact that their vehicle modes weren't in scale to each other didn't bother me as much, but today, with the Alts being such precise auto replicas, I am deeply concerned with this. I only accept the Master Pieces because if they made Starscream 1:24 scale, he'd be HUGE. In the meanwhile, at the very least, his robot mode is larger than the Alts and similar to what we saw in the G1 cartoon. MPE Prime is perfect for the Alts. And Megatron? I actually tried NOT to buy him, but I had a chance to get him unaltered, right in my hands, with only 6 available at my comic shop and 3 collectors already there to claim theirs, so I didn't think about it for very long and I bought him. Yeah, to a guy like me, the gun mode is worthless, but Megatron MPE 05 is a great piece nevertheless.

When it comes to these being toys, for whatever reason, like Star Wars' Galactic Heroes, the stuff that is really purely toys (oh - the Potato Heads, too) just appeals to me. I think it's because they are pure in their representation of exactly what they're supposed to be: toys!

Leader Prime doesn't know whether he wants to be a toy with lights and sounds, or a very accurate model replica of the movie character, so he's sort of in-between both of those descriptions. He does look kind of cool (Optimus Prime is my favorite Transformer) so he'll get a lot of future consideration from me, but a MPE of this form (the longnose truck) would totally rock.

They're just my honest opinion. If you have a different one, you should go buy these toys, putting your money behind your instincts about them, and add your reviews to the thread. If you need more attention, start another thread.

But should you expect everyone to have the same opinion as you?

Is there a "correct opinion?"

Does being a Transformer fan mean you have to like all the products by default?

Does this mean that Alt Fans should just leave the hobby if they aren't finding any love for the current direction the line is taking?

10. PrimeOQZ

PrimeOQZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tycho, it sounds like you had some fun today and everyone does have different tastes.

I agree with supervir2, we should have stores hold to street dates. It was nice to go in and see a nice selection.

Since the thread asks for what I think, the real gear booster x10 looks like laserbeak so I bought him. I really was not going to buy any robot gear at all but he caught my eye and looks cool.

11. Jake Steel

Jake Steel Banned

[​IMG]Not a fan of the Transformers are ya Trebek?

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    heh. pseudo reviews.

13. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    This thread should be called:

Launch day:First Impressions.

14. vinylbandit

vinylbandit The Goalie

They can't get much closer than they already are with the longnose truck being MP quality.

15. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

16. vinylbandit

vinylbandit The Goalie

The rear-wheel housings do bounce around during the transformation process, but they peg down once you get the legs repositioned (the waist piece has to rotate 180 degrees from it's peg in truck mode to its peg in robot mode, so the legs do, too). While I agree that the materials could be upgraded for an MP-grade figure, my point is that the detail of the truck and the complexity of the transformation is already at the MP standard.

17. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

That's actually inspiring, Vinylbandit.

How would you rate Leader Prime's kibble congestion? (truck parts that don't blend well with the robot's figure)

Any kibble issues with the semi-truk form?

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Everything comes to gether snug in robot form, the soul exception may be the red halves of the truck nose on the back. (but you really don't notice them since they blend behind the smokestacks.

All kibble in robot mode clips down one way or another. The only peice I don't like is the gun, but, it can be removed in both modes. Even after removing it, he still has mini gauntlet guns that hide away. (so he's not totally un-armed)

There is zero kibble in vehicle mode besides the gun, which can be taken off. Everything clip/snaps/locks down rock-solid.

19. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    got all the Voyagers, All the real gear, Both Primes (Leader and Robovision), and 3 of the Robot Heroes packs. Not the least disappointed in any any of them. They all are pure love.

20. tgg7979

tgg7979 I want the matrix

Ebay:
    Wth is with all the MPE crap? Theyre masterpeices, MP's. Whats with the e?