I returned a Transformer today.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mister Gone, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamspeed

jamspeed Follow me on Instagram _jamspeed_

Ebay:
    Yea... Right... Go ask any store manager what his biggest worries are and I'm pretty sure someone buying 1 toy then returning it is not going to be anywhere on his radar. Theft is way more damaging for example.

2. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Everyone who is against Mr.Gone returning this toy, let me ask you a question. Have you ever bought pants or shorts only to return them because they didn't fit. The Lable said your size but for some reason they didn't fit. Mr. Gone returned his toy because even though on the back of the package the toy is shown in a standing position, his didn't stand. Even though nothing was broken or physically wrong with it, it wasn't what it was supposed to be. And if the store accepted his return, he has every right to do so.

3. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

The fact that toy swapping is a problem completely invalidates any discussion here about "hurting" the toy stores. They just put them back on the shelves for someone else to buy so they don't lose money and it certainly doesn't hurt Hasbro at all. The only thing that hurts either Hasbro or the toy stores is when shitty toys sit there shelf warming because they suck and the stores have to sell them on clearance. And even then they're making a profit so that STILL doesn't hurt them.

The way I see it, there's two things you can do about having bought a toy that sucks: One is to sell it either here or on ebay to someone else that actually wants one. Two is to return it and exchange it for something else that doesn't suck.

You know, having worked retail where people would try to return things for stupid reasons I started reading this thread with the opinion that you shouldn't be allowed to return a perfectly good non defective toy. But having made the argument above about not hurting either the toy stores or Hasbro, I've changed my mind. I mean if everyone returned the toys they didn't like, we might actually see better selection in the aisles. I know there were a lot of people that were disappointed with Leader Jetfire and if one of them had returned one in my area, there's that much more chance that I could have gotten one. I mean for any given toy, there's at least one completist out there that's going to want it for that alone, so why not pass it off onto them?

4. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1) I haven't returned an open TF yet because I didn't like it but considering the fact that I spend well over $1,000 each year buying bots from the stores I don't see a problem with returning a $10, $20, or $50 bot every once in a while.

2) Think of all the molds Hasbro wouldn't have dared to repaint if people had just returned them.

5. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Dressing rooms completely invalidate this argument. Even if it was very well thought out and articulated.

6. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    You've never bought clothes without trying them on? I'm 32 and have been the same size and weight for the last 10 years. Inevitably sometime clothes are sewn wrong and don't fit right. And when your wife buys you clothes and your not there, how do you try them on?

7. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Cybertron Runamuck WOULD. NOT. EXIST! :lolol 

8. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Nor would armada Oilslick from the Ultra Magnus 2-Pack

9. jamspeed

jamspeed Follow me on Instagram _jamspeed_

Ebay:
    There is no reasoning with some people, esp on the internet. I'm just going to watch and laugh at some of these posts. I would love to see peoples reactions if they were not allowed to return things ( in the USA that is ). Most company's would go out of business due to the lack of consumer confidence in the store if they had a no return policy. Glad I live in the states:popcorn 

10. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Seriously. I am tempted to have the GF break out the video camera and tape me going back to the Walmart, buy the Blazemaster I returned off the peg, open it again, then return it to a different Walmart just to hear some heads explode. Good God kids, settle down. lol

11. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only time I returned a toy it was some beast wars figure (back at the day) because I noticed I didn't want it after all, but it was still sealed and instead of getting my money back I just exchanged it for another figure, I think it was a squid or something.

So I guess I don't really count.

12. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The funniest part is, the people who are saying, "I wouldn't choose to do it, but there's nothing wrong with it if it's allowable within the store's return policy" are being accused of being on soapboxes, professing moral high ground, and being patsies to Hasbro.

Let's hear it for the internet and reading comprehension!

13. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    ^ your signature sums this thread up to a tee. btw

It's not going to kill anyone here not to be able to return anything. But if it is legal, there is really nothing anyone can say.

14. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You're wrong, trekkie.

1) Men in general tend to not try clothes on before buying. If it doesn't cost a lot most of them won't even bother to return it if it doesn't fit. But they like to know that they can return it. Stores are constantly trying to figure out how to get men to buy more clothes. More changing rooms is not the answer. A strict return policy is not the answer.

2) Women are a different story. They try things on in the dressing room for hours and yet still end up returning them. But clothing stores are completely fine with this. Do you know why? REPEAT BUSINESS. Repeat after me. REPEAT BUSINESS. When a woman goes to return clothes she has bought she more often then not ends up buying more. If these stores had strict return policies women would visit less and buy less each time.

Conclusion 1: a loose return policy benefits the store because it results in
    1a) repeat buyers
    1b) signal to the store what trends are popular
    1c) but it only works well in societies that do not abuse it

Conclusion 2: stores don't really care if someone returns an open TF because
    2a) if the person is a collector they buy a lot more then they return (20%)
    2b) if the person is a casual buyer they'll probably buy a different toy (80%)
    2c) both of the people above are in the store and most likely will buy other items

15. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    Never.

16. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Sometimes I bring sealed Transformers back to stores where I didn't buy them and put them on the pegs.

I'm then out the money and the robot, sure, but then I can stand extra tall on my moral "high horse" about returns.

17. Wazzpinator

Wazzpinator is playin ODST

Never, and I never will.

If I buy something, usually I know a bit about it. And if I impulse buy? I keep it. Sure, I might hate it the first time I see it, but then I'm all over it.

fo instance.

Rise of Cobra: Cobra Commander.( NOT A TRANSFORMER BUT SHUTTTTUUUUP)

When I first saw him, I thought he was weak.
    Wait a few days, he's the best Joe in the movie line.

18. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lolol  nice

19. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You just screwed up their inventory system. Good job d-bag. . . :lolol 

And your little horse too :horse: 

20. Angelwave