I returned a Transformer today.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mister Gone, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:

2. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe you should not buy things on an impulse? Yes, returning a product because YOUR opinion on the figure is lacking is weak. If you don't see why this is wrong I am not going to explain it to you. Hasbro does not have to pay me anything but if people just think this is OK is sad. It does hurt Hasbro's bottom line and can effect whether Hasbro decides to expand the line or dump it and move on.

3. Aerros1

Aerros1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):

It all depends on the stores management

4. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Wow, I'll make sure to document the opened figures on the peg when I am out next lol. Didn't know it was such a hot button topic (oh and for the record, I have bought open figures too :D  )

5. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I have seen Leaders and boxed figures swapped at those places I mentioned, but never carded figures. Ever. I'm at any of those places 2-3 times a week too, over the course of years, in 3 different states, and have never seen it. I feel safe in saying it doesn't happen very often, if at all. Sorry chief.

Now Walmart is a different story. That place is home to mutants, so I'm not surprised to hear of that sort of behavior within the establishment, considering the types of people who generally shop there.

Yeah, I'm judging. :) 

6. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Good, actually. The Consumer's unwillingness to accept a subpar product is the basis of a customer centric market. If Hasbro sees that producing a poor product effect the bottom line then they will stop. I fail to see where it is a bad thing for consumers to not accept a poor quality product, even if it is just their opinion. Hell if the system didn't work that way we'd all be sitting here watching Transformers Energon: The Movie

7. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

And I'm guessing you've never encountered toy swapping either. I've only encountered that a couple of times myself, but whoever does it here is ******ed because they swap for toys more valuable than were on the shelf to begin with.

Anyway, on topic, I have never returned a toy just for not liking it. I sell them on ebay. After all, I may not like it, but chances are someone out there will.

8. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Oh the toy swappers bug me to no end. I can't believe they don't watch for that. Toy swapping is out and out theft.

9. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I get where you're going, but we have to distinguish between "I think this is a poorly designed toy" and "the toy breaks easily or is subpar from a manufacturing standpoint". Blazemaster is far from the top of my favorites list, but the paint looks good and the toy feels solid. I can't look at him and identify a problem there that Hasbro needs to deal with. On the other hand, there were well-documented examples of paint and quality issues with Universe 2 and Animated toys... that feedback DID reach Hasbro and they've made changes, according to what we've heard from those a little closer to the Hasbro team.

But your feelings that Blazemaster is a crap toy (feelings which I may even share to a degree) aren't really of any concern to Hasbro, so long as his assortment keeps selling.

10. transtrekkie

I totally agree with you on that, with one exception. I went to TRU one time and saw a Universe Starscream had been swapped out with a G2 Starscream. Hound had been swapped out with a Japanese Car Robots X-Brawn with G1 Ravage and Cyclonus had been swapped for a BM Deluxe Jetstorm. I so should have picked up that Starscream.

11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Stores have return policys for a reason. You have 90 days to return or exchange as long as you have the receipt. I see no issue with what this guy did at all. Get off your damn soap boxes.

12. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I think his bot mode is terrible. I wouldn't think of returning it, but it is your right to do so as long as stores are willing to to take them back. I just don't understand the need to stand out and say you did so. Especially since I know alot of fanboys here hate that type of thing.

13. transtrekkie

I think 'Breaker's main position is that he beleives that there shouldn't be a "buyer's remorse" period on a purchase as small as a toy. I can see his point. I've never even considered it, partially because I didn't beleive that they would take it back on that alone, but also because I used to work as an assistant manager at a Blockbuster. We didn't take movies back from people just because they didn't like them, so why should that be ok to do with toys? Besides, like I said earlier, if you don't like it, resell it, either on ebay or here on the boards. Someone will buy it and, at least here, it would likely go to someone who's really going to appreciate it.

14. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    I don't think I've ever done that. If I get a toy that I don't like, I do one of two things...either save it for customizing fodder or give it to a young family member or a friend's child. The last toy I returned was RotF Superion, but that was because Superion was missing a chunk out of his head crest.

15. transtrekkie

This is also a good point. I mean, if the stores are willing to take it back, then why not do so? That's certainly one way to ensure that you're happy with eveything in your collection.

And what's wrong with debating this on an open forum?

16. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    Where I live, there's no such thing as returning toys just because you didn't like it.

The major ones like TRU will exchange an item of equal value if you bought a defective one, but that's about it. The smaller hobby shops have a strict no return, no exchange policy - the moment you pay and walk out the store, you're stuck with what you have whatever happens.

Thus the onus is on the buyer to choose and decide carefully how he spends his money.
    It also negates the possibility of people buying something just to try it out, then return it once they're bored with it to get their cash back, and buy something else to try out again.

A perfect example was when a local CD store started their return policy. People were buying CDs, ripping the songs into their computers, and then returning them to get their money back. Essentially, they were taking advantage of the system to get free music.

Now, I'm not equating you to such despicable acts, I'm merely illustrating why local stores have strict no return policies.

I won't judge you for returning a TF, because its your right to do whatever you wish.

Personally, if something I bought was defective, faulty, or malfunctioning, then I will just exchange for a new one. But I will never return something for the mere reason that I didn't like it. Because I do not feel that's a valid reason to get a refund. Once I make the commitment to buy a product, I do so knowing full well of what i'm getting.

Not trying to be on a high horse, or grab the moral high ground here. But that's just my conviction. After all, does it make sense if you buy a green t-shirt today thinking its pretty ok, and then one week later decide green looks ugly, and go back for a refund? .. Maybe it seems ok to some, but that reasoning doesn't fly with me.

I'm just thankful stores do not accept returns here. Being a MISB collector, I like my TFs in pristine factory condition - untouched, unblemished and unopened. I wouldn't want to buy a toy, only to find out that someone has already played with it before.

17. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got burned a few times with TFs, so I go directly to the Feedback thread or check out Peaugh's Reviews at the 'tube.

I knew what Southeast Asian Land War i was getting into with Blazemaster, but I learned to resist the urge to transform him and have enjoyed him because of it.

I will return a toy to a store, but not because of "meh",

18. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    I will be returning ROFT Sideways (sealed never opened). I'm not overly impressed with the mold plus I got a Deadend which for me has a color scheme that makes up for what the mold lacks.

As for blazemaster, I love the doofy little f**ker. Do his arms suck yes they do, but the reason I love him is his transformation and the way everything just folds up so nicely as he goes back into helicopter mode, plus it has one of the best tail rudder transformations I've seen on a helicopter TF.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  19. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I see this attitude a lot, and I have to ask, why not? Are you afraid they'll poison your mind with their opinions?

If you go see Battlefield Earth, then ask for a refund because it sucked, they're going to say "yeah, didn't you see the reviews?". If you watch a TF video review typically they just demonstrate the figure and point out obvious issues. Some of the stuff that bothers them may not bother me, and I may notice things that bother me that aren't commented on. Listening to them doesn't mean you agree with them or that you don't have views of your own.

If the amount of money involved is significant to me, I would definitely check some reviews first.

20. Andvari

Andvari Well-Known Member

These threads never fail to make me laugh. Are you guys really so far into Hasbro's pocket that whenever someone wants to return a toy for a reason such as "eh, didn't care for it" you cry? It's not a mom and pop operation and they're not going to shut down production because someone returned an open product. Most places DO put them back on shelves, but even the ones that get sent back to Hasbro do not make Hasbro cry. They are out for money and you're shorting them a bit. I fail to see the issue here, but I do love these threads.

Also, for the record, I have never returned a toy just because I didn't like it. But that's more because I am pretty careful with what I buy, as opposed to being afraid I'll hurt Hasbro's feelings. If it came down to it, I'd probably sell it on eBay if I didn't like a toy. However, that does not give me the moral high ground. There's nothing immoral about taking a toy back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.