Heavy/Scratch: I return to the Radicons...G1 Galvatron

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SentinelPrime, Apr 25, 2009.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Well, hello there. Yes. Do come in. Make yourself comfortable.

A few years ago, I started customizing figures. I read alot online from the masters like Jin Saotome, Kyle Robinson, frenzy-rumble and all the rest. I loved it, and it was something I'd wanted to be able to do since being a kid.

Then, my life fell apart. Literally.

But, now, I rise again...and, although it's a custom that's been done alot, I was so inspired by Jin's idea that I had to do a G1 Galvatron of my very own, and it's certainly a character known for returning, so it's appropriate!

Now, every single one of the customs in this design have been great. The one thing is, though, I haven't seen one that gets that 1986 movie color scheme down 100%. It's tricky...he's a weeeeiiird color. It's blue. It's purple. It's both. It's neither. I wanted it to be as close to the movie as possible, and in the movie Galvatron had a very simple color scheme, and he looked pristine, very sharp and clean. I really made this a labor of love.

It features techniques I'm using for the very first time, like ball jointing the head, and giving him ball-jointed, switch-out hands. I used magnets here for the first time, in the cannon for the arm, and in using the cannon base in the alt-mode, so it doesn't go to waste. He was 100% hand painted, and if you've never hand painted a figure that large....well, let's say that it almost made me go as insane as Galvatron himself! So....enough talking. Here ya go!

The inmates are running the asylum

[​IMG]

Ball jointed fists:
    [​IMG]

Ball jointed angry psycho hands:
    [​IMG]

B!tch-slap hand!!!
    [​IMG]

continued....

Attached Files:

• 063.JPG
      063.JPG
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • 037.JPG
      037.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 078.JPG
      078.JPG
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • 077.JPG
      077.JPG
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2009
  2. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    Annndddd....#$#@#-SLAP!
    [​IMG]

#$#@#-SLAP!!
    [​IMG]

BACK HAND!
    [​IMG]

Is Galvatron gonna hafta CHOKE a 'bot??

[​IMG]

more...

3. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

....snicker

[​IMG]

No...really....bad idea....
    [​IMG]

Here's a hint!
    [​IMG]

4. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    Alt
    [​IMG]

Alt
    [​IMG]

Alt

[​IMG]

Dark
    [​IMG]

5. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    Room display
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed it as much as I liked "transforming" it! ;) 

6. uuser

uuser Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Great work! I like it!

7. crosscharge

crosscharge Classics tinkerer

Ebay:
    Well, it looks like taking a break has only improved on your skills, this guy looks fantastic! I love your color choice and mods! The interchangeable hands are a really nice idea, only thing that is (very minutly)off is that the hands dont quite look robotic enough. This is a project I hope to get to at some point in time, and will defintly come here to do some research on it! To that point, did you use a g1 galvatron cannon for the barrel of this bash?

8. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looks excellent, with him looking so good though Cyclonus is looking a little underdone.

love the poseable hands,really adds a lot to him

9. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Excellent work on this, man. I really dig the use of the G1 parts (I did a Classics Galvatron "G1-style" from this mold--the small TRU two-pack version--a year ago and used the G1 cannon, tank treads, and shoulder pads--and also created a G1 space cannon mode with the existing wings from Energon Megatron). I got a lot of inspiration from the people that did them before me. Yours will now inspire others as well. The paintjob is great and my only critique of this is the choice of hands. They look cool (Neon Genesis Evangelion EVA hands, correct?), but on this mold, they are just too static and rounded to fit in with a figure that has so many hard edges. The ball jointed original hands look great though. Over the last 6 months or more, I've re-visited mine and added new mods like a ball jointed neck and Master Grade Gundam hands (ball jointed and articulated) and I've painted and given him that same Matrix to play with. lol

Everything else is perfect and I still enjoy seeing new Galvatron customs from this mold. Keep up the great work, bro.

10. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Despite your tough times, you rised up and make a helluva good custom of the bat-shit crazy Decepticon, known as Galvatron. So kudos to you man and also welcome back.

11. Makxsh1mum

Makxsh1mum Well-Known Member

Very nice job. Really diggin it.

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm glad to hear you weathered the storm of the things happening in your life. Perhaps this bash can be a physical symbol of how you've stood your ground and fought through those things. I'm just thrilled that Radicons could have a hand in helping you with those things, in whatever capacity that may have been. You don't have to venture too far here to find a friend. "We are here; we are waiting . . . ." :) 

Your bash looks really nice, man. I think you've done a lot of good things here. If nothing else, props to you for color matching the blue shade of the purple used on G1 Galvatron. I hope we see more from you soon! :thumb 

(btw, please attach all of your photos; your first post is the way to do it :wink: )

13. PyroniusRex

PyroniusRex Banned

News Credits:
    That's just awesome.

14. kingrich78

kingrich78 Well-Known Member

Sweet custom. The paint apps are insane. It looks like it came out of the package looking like that. What types of paint did you use and what is that shade of blue/purple?

15. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    Just got in from work...I wanna say thanks for all the kind words. Its really great to put alot of work into something and then see others appreciate it.

Let's see....questions.

Yes, that is the cannon and barrel from the G1 Galvatron toy, although the base has been dremeled to heck and a magnet is in there to stick to the arm.

hXcpunk23: yours is one of my inspirations; I distinctly remember the shoulder parts and the re-use of the wings. I always thought those shoulders really made it look very G1. Thanks for your kind words. Yes, those are EVA hands; good eye. I thought they would be OK since they had seams and robotic knuckles, and the 86 robots were very rounded and humanoid. You are correct, though, the pics end up looking more or less like human hands. Us EVA fans know why that is, but that's another, spoiler-heavy discussion! I'll try to replace those in the next few weeks with more 'bot-lookin' hands.

Paint? Well, I used various shades of blue and purple from Testor's Model Master Acryl. I was SO obsessed with getting that '86 color right that I had to mix a batch of paint THREE times before I had it down. All of that paint was used, so this really is a one-of-a-kind...I'll never be able to match that color 100% ever again. My goal here was the color, and detail. It surprised me just how specific one can get with this, from the single silver stripe on the arm, the silver inner-forearm, the silver crest his head is on...the sculptors really did well on this. Like I'd mentioned...no airbrushing here. I live in an apt, so I did this sumbitch by hand, and I really wish I had the area to airbrush after this. I mean, this frakkin took WEEKS. I had to water the paint down and use really thin coats, but in the end he is 99% free of any brush strokes, so, it was worth it.

I'm a little disappointed with some of the pics...I was trying out some forced perspectives, and some of them just came out blurry. Good experience, even if I botched a couple of the ideas.

Thanks again everyone, and I'm glad I could give you something to enjoy even if its just a quick look at some pics.

16. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Thanks, bro--glad I could help with any inspiration on yours. Don't get me wrong, I love those hands (just more on the EVA figures). Also, I forgot to mention earlier, I really like the action shots you did and that Starscream shot is priceless with the huge crown. lol

Keep up the great work, my friend (and I hope things are going good for you now--not sure what you went through or experienced, but I'm glad to see you're well and enjoying what you love).

17. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

That is just wonderful. Love the new hands too

18. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    That really did turn out well, what're you working on next? hehehe

Oh, and please attach ALL your pictures, not just some.

19. CHRONIC

CHRONIC Member

Effin awsome Galvatron, That colour is dead on! looks a bit shiney but hopefully thats just the camera

I would suggest painting the cannon or putting a LED in it
    also not a fan of the piece you used to connect the cannon in alt mode

love your pics too, the bad idea one is my desktop untill my Galvatron is painted

20. Drift

Drift Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thats the uni release not a custom