I remember when they announced TF had an R-rating

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by darthrage, Oct 26, 2007.

1. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    So remember when they announced that the original cut of the film was so intense that the MPAA gave it an R-rating and Spielberg had to use his powers to give it a borderline PG-13 rating?

I wonder what was all that talk about?

Because the only thing that struck me as getting an R-rating was the Skorponok and Blackout scenes which made up a total of 11 minutes of the 2 hour and 20 minutes that is the movie.

But everything else was quite tame.

The Blackout scene could've gotten it the R-rating cuz of the high body count even though we didn't see anything but since they did mention that there were no survivors, that means there was quite a few military personnel dead.

And as for the Skorponok scene, it was basically the impaling of one of the soldiers with Skorponok's tail and the visceral swinging around of him and also the brief scenes of bodies being thrown violently about when missilles exploded in the areas around them.

I don't really see what was the big deal and the huge media explosion of how the MPAA could possibly say that just cuz of those 2 scenes, the movie has to be rated R unless there is a director's cut which we don't know about.

I know the MPAA has very specific rules about body counts and death scenes.

I wonder how "intense" the original cut really was?

2. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Wasn't it clarified that the R rating news was for Disturbia?

3. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Yes.

TF was never considered a R rating. That was for Disturbia, another project from Spielberg.

Someone conflated the projects and posted it on imdb.

It's a bit like the old "Megatron getting a 'Razor' earth-mode in the film" rumour caused by Shia getting Megatron and Starscream mixed up and not having any real knowledge of the military hardware used in filming.

But everyone knows that was a mistake now.

4. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Seems like both mistakes were Shia LaBeouf's fault.

But to the original poster: the MPAA does indeed have very specific rules about what gets an R rating. It's not entirely body count, "intensity," or sexuality. Star Wars Episode IV had a body count of several billion (when Alderaan blows up), and each LOTR must have a body count of several thousand, but they're not R-rated.

I don't know all the rules since I don't work for the MPAA, but here's some of the rules I'm aware of:

PG-13 can have one scene with one girl's boobs and no more than boobs. Any more and it's automatically R.

PG-13 can have one F-word, and it can't be in relation to sex. So in Harry Potter 6, Harry can say, "I f-ing hate Voldemort" and get away with PG-13. However, if he says, "I want to f- Hermione," then the movie is an automatic R.

Notice in Die Hard 4, when John McClane says "Yippe Ki Yay Motherf(GUNSHOT)"? Yes, the PG-13 allows one F-word, but saying "MF-er" is a reference to the F-word making comparisons to sleeping with one's mom, thus a sexual reference.

And stuff like that.

5. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Come on, Megan...:tongue: 

6. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    oh ok thanks for clearing that up. That explanation about the PG-13 to R comparisons and how to use the F-word are hilarious LOL!!

7. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    F-22 "Razor"? lol

8. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I highly recommend anyone interested in the ratings system to watch 'This Film is Not Yet Rated'. It shows how useless the ratings system is when it comes to properly giving movies an accurate rating.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yeah,it was a time of doom,I thought i'd wouldn't been able to see it,of course Transformers is for Kids and Adults except for Alternators. :lol 

Micheal Bay you make the best.

10. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

:lolol