I realized, I love MV Starscream.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Livingdeaddan, Mar 8, 2018.

1. transf0

transf0 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Coward line in ROTF was universally understood as castigatory I believe.

2. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Movie Starscream is a mixed bag for me. Starscream has long been my favorite... from backstabbing schemer to noble swordsman to undead assassin, his color scheme, his signature smirk, his sarcasm... Movie Starscream has a fantastic bot mode and his scenes in the first movie and parts of ROTF were great. Charlie Adler did well with what he had. Would have preferred to see Starscream continue or be revived in AOE or TLK.

Aside from that... his personality wasn't there. His face was terrible... He had no lips. Could not smirk or give Megatron the sideeye. Color scheme evoked no thoughts of Starscream. Never tried to overthrow Megatron. Had no scenes really using his abilities as a jet after movie 1. Was killed off by the most annoyingly weak human in the multiverse.

I like him for what he was, but while I hope elements of his robot mode return in future versions, the rest ... his bug face, lack of HIS personality and little use in action scenes... gets tossed out.

• Like Like x 2
  3. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    Even as a kid Starscream's death bugged the shit out of me. I couldn't justify to myself how the same dude who took out multiple Autobots in TF1 and held his own against Optimus in ROTF was killed by Shia Labeouf flaying around and sticking a hook in his eye. I tried to explain it to myself by making up a headcanon where Starscream was injured beforehand so he wasn't at full strength, and even bought the novelisation because i thought there was some kind of explanation that i was missing. There had to be...

...but no. I eventually realised that it was just lazy writing. No two ways about it. And that was a sad realiasation indeed.

Starscream's death sticks out to me as the first sign to my 10-year old brain that these movies were not in fact the greatest movies ever made, and were in fact full of structural flaws.

• Like Like x 2
  4. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I often felt the DOTM scene with Starscream and Sam was the equivalent of a playground battle between a kid being bullied, and then the kid not only ends up blinding the bully, but literally, 'blowing his mind' that his ridiculously lame tauntings couldn't save him in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan Gotta get to sleep somehow...

News Credits:
    Yes. I think your right on point there.

6. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

I liked him, wish he didn't go out the way he did.

He's physically a STAR shape, which amuses me.

• Like Like x 1