I NEVER Thought I'd Be Saying This But....

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Dec 13, 2011.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Let me start off by saying that I LOVED Transformers: Animated. I loved the writing of the show, the design aesthetic, the toys...everything.

I was angry when the show got cancelled prematurely. I was furious that there was toy designs that were discontinued and we'd never see them.

My anger was directed at Hasbro and Cartoon network for ending what I percieved to be one of the best Transformers cartoons ever.

What really got me angry was the fact that the cancellation was supposedly due to Hasbro's desire to create a cartoon for it's new network that was more movie-oriented in it's design aesthetics.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the movies but, the designs aren't what I prefer.

After all of that, I never thought I'd be saying this but, I love TF: Prime EVEN MORE than TF:Animated. That says alot because I was a BIG fan of Animated.

TF: Prime is better than Animated in every way. Animation, story writing, character design, and the toys are all superior in my opinion.

TF: Prime's character design is the perfect combination of TF: Animated and the movie aesthetics in a neat little CGI package.

Sorry to get so long-winded but, my question to you is, is there anyone else out there who was a big fan of Animated and now feels that Prime is far superior?

2. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    I don't think the Prime toys are superior by design yet. While the Voyagers so far are amazing, the deluxes are somewhat disappointing. Luckily, though, the plastic quality makes up for it.

As for the show, replace Miko with Sari, who was less obnoxious, and it'd be fairly close to perfect.

3. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Animated feels like it was a long Time ago. For me, Prime has only a few animated characterics on face design to make them more expressive.

Also Bulkhead is Here. Though Hasbro wanted a kinder Ironhide at first. They tweaked bulkhead to better suit that role.

As far as storytelling goes. War for Cybertron definitely influenced it with Dark Energon, and a greater influence on Cybertronian Death in the ongoing war.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  4. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Let's just hope TF Prime will not get cancelled prematurely like Animated

5. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I still think Animated was the better show overall. However I will say that season 1 of TFP has been a better show than season 1 of TFA, with TFP being more bot-centric. Toys? Well I don't have any TFP figures yet but I think both series are on par with each other from what I've seen so far.

6. AlexaStar

AlexaStar Starscream is love

I love Animated, but I hate how there's more focus on the Autobots in that show.

Armada will always be my favorite, but Prime is definitely up there as well.

7. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    After hearing the plans that Hasbro has for it I doubt it'll be cancelled.

As for the topic I still like TFA! It's the one reason that I got back into the Transformers franchise because it had the things about why I came to enjoy it in the first place. Great characters,intreging storylines and awsome designs!

However I admit that I like TFP even more because it combines everything about what I love from both the Movies and Animated,like the designs for instence. Also some of the characters are done MUCH better here than in TFA like Arcee,Starscream,and Soundwave for example!:D  Not to mention the more serious and darker tone as well as the more deeper look into the mythos!

So while I both enjoy TFA and TFP,I'm going to go with TFP ultimately because it speaks a lot more to me. That's my opinon anyway!:) 

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I see Prime as Animated light. The character designs remind me more of people who don't "get" the animated style and assume all you need to make it "animated" is give it a big chin and thin waist. (Not to say I don't love the designs, but they're nowhere near as good as Animated's) The story is boring and contrived for the most part, and the characters are nothing new. Arcee especially is very much "she's cool and edgy and dark YEAH" and instead of trying something new overall just tries to distance her from past versions. The animation, when it's good, is fantastic. But when it's not, it's very meh. It also has none of the fun of animated. It takes itself far, far too seriously and ends up being boring and eye-roll worthy instead. Animated had this great sense of innocence yet daring to it. You laughed with it, not at it. It was there to have fun and try new things. Prime almost seems scared to move outside of the percieved fan notion of what makes a "good" show. This is especially evident with Unicron's surprise appearence at the end. He literally shows up just for the finale and is dealt with almost immediately. Why? Because Unicron is "epic" and they wanted the finale to be "epic" but didn't want to make it, say, character focused or some form of "epic" that doesn't rely on gimmicks like Unicron.

As for the toys, they are incredible, but they're not amazing leaps in engineering like Animated was. Animated took 2d drawings that had no business being physically possible and made them into transformable 3-dimensional toys. Animated was an achievement, Prime is par the course.

9. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Dude the disigns are also trying to be realsitic as well as cartoony. Both TFA and TFP has some similer things going on but the different aspects they have aren't really meant to be compaired.

As for Arcee.she's not just about being dark edgier and cool,she also has a fearful side,a joking side,friendly side,and embarssed side. She's really not that one demensional as you're making her to be. Well at least she's not a raving lunitic like in IDW. I mean haven't you ever heard of a small first step of progress? Just be happy that she's having some character development and personalty as opposed to her past versions who were nothing more than token smurfettes and damsels in distress and had personaltys even flatter! Do you want her to go back to THAT?! Her past version suffred from cliche roles and characterizations more worse than the TFP version!

The show's at least not shying away from the tone either. If season 2 fixes the "problems" you've mentioned you will be more forgiven or do want to give it up entirely because ifyou are you don't have to be here.

10. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

The only past notion of Arcee was some helpless fembot that added nothing as a character.

11. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    This! At least the TFP Arcee can take care of herself! I mean the TFP Arcee's character isn't really orignal because it's like something from a cop show,but this is still a HUGH step for her when comparing her past version who had little to no personalty whatsoever aside from being a major sterotype and/or not having a role that's actually meaningful.

12. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    Exactly. The Prime toys are neat and clever, but only Bulkhead carries the spirit of the impossible made possible.

BULKHEAD! YOUR PONCH IS THE PONCH THAT WITH CRUSH THE HEAVENS!

13. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I never disputed that. I never said distancing her from past interpretations was bad, only that it's all they did. I would've liked her charatcer be more than just angst. It's like what IDW did except waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

Indeed. No real advancements, exceptions noted. Not that it's a flaw, but I look at Animated toys in wonder, while prime just gets the "holy crap that's so cool" reaction.

14. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    I do have hope for later figures in the line, but I'll be satisfied with the current level of transformations.

15. mogel94

mogel94 Well-Known Member

Animated will always be my preffered show but I still enjoy Prime and consider it to be one of the better shows with some fantastic toys.

But Beast Wars was better than both of them :cool: 

16. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    So you prefer the inconsiderate,unstable,no regard for life,and nasty nut case Arcee over the tramuatized emotionally struggling angst Arcee that's slowly making progress over time?:sly:  No offense dude but I don't see how the IDW version is better at all. In fact she's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY MORE unlikeable and hateful than the TFP Version. At least the TFP version HAS a moral compass with thoughtful and caring considerations for her team mates unlike the IDW version who has NONE of those!:mad:  I don't get why people are okay with the IDW going crazy but with the TFP Arcee they get annoyed because she made one little mistake of letting her emotions getting the better of her in Partners!:sly: 

I totally disagree about your thoughts on the TFP toys. They are anything BUT meh.

17. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Well TFP is getting close on Beast Wars level though!:) 

18. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Same. If it gets better, great, but it's fine as is.

Uh... no. I said TFPrime Arcee is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. Did you think I meant "It's like what IDW did but IDW did it way better?" Because that was not my intention. Fuck, MOVIE Arcee is a better charatcer than IDW Arcee.

Give this man a cigar.

19. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Oh really?....Sorry about that.:eek:  I thought you meant the IDW Arcee being better. Sorry about the misunderstanding really!:(  I think I am getting a little TOO defensive over TFP and it's Arcee now that I think about it. Though I totally agree with you about the TFP and Movie Arcee doing a much better job at being ansgt then the IDW version ever did. Besides we may find that the TFP Arcee has more going on with her personalty when Season 2 shows up. Perhaps she may get some major character growth even!:) 

Again I'm sorry for taking things like this too far, Trying to fight with you every time we chat is never my intention. I just get caught up with opinons and taking them persoanlly too much. We both have different opinons over the TFP show but we shoudln't take it to a extreame degree.

20. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Armada's always gonna be my favourite because that Starscream was just so awesome :D