I need your thoughts and prayers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ViceGripX, May 13, 2008.

1. ViceGripX

ViceGripX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My Dad is in the hospital. Two weeks back, he fell while trying to go from his lift chair to his wheel chair and hit the back left side of his head on the tile floor in the front hall of my parent's home. He seemed fine at first and got up and went about his evening. Two hours later, he flopped out of bed, vomiting. My wife and I rushed over as soon as soon as we could and the paramedics were already there, working on him. He was rushed to the local hospital and we followed.

Once in the ER, he started having a heart attack. This complicated his brain injury since the blood thinners they'd use for the heart attack would hurt the bleed on his brain and what they'd use for his brain bleed would hurt his heart. So, they had to let him ride out the heart attack. Around 5am the next morning, he was starting to stabilize and was transfered to ICU.

We went home and got a little rest, returning around 2pm. The doctors told us the outlook was bleak and we prepared ourselves to say good bye. One of Dad's directives in his living will is no life support, so we were going to have them pull it then next day to give other family members time to visit.

He surprised everyone at 1am the next morning by being awake and giving the thumbs-up sign. We were overjoyed. He followed us with his eyes and nodded his head. His heart was stabile enough to operate on his brain bleed, so they did and he came through fine. They later put him on a feeding tube to help him get some nutrition and gain his strength back. His ability to swallow has yet to return, so his airway is unprotected.

Over the next week, he's ben in and out of it as he battled pneumonia, a few fevers, and elevated heart levels, the latter resulting from his heart attack. Eveything looked good otherwise, and we were prepared to move him into a rehab center close to their home early this week.

However, yesterday afternoon he somehow maanged to vomit the stuff from the feeding tube and some of that went back and into his lungs. They suctioned out as much as they could, but they can't go too deep into his lungs as he would likely not survive the procedure. He has a breathing mask no and is under sedation and other meds to keep him calm. There is a chance we could lose him though and I don't think I can deal with that now.

I love my Dad. He's the kindest, most patient man I know. He's always been there for me and is the man I wish I could be. To see him go through this is heartbreaking. My Mom is strong, but she is having an even harder time, understandably. I can go home to my wife. She has no one at home.

So, if you could send us your prayers, throughts, or whatever, we'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

:(  Sorry to hear. Many prayers for your dad, and family.

3. X-BRAWN81

X-BRAWN81 Survived Huriicane Dolly

My prayers are with you, your dad & your family.

I know how hard it is to see your parent in the hospital not knowing whats going to happen next.

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Man, sounds like a real rollercoaster ride... :( 

My thoughts are with you all, and I'll see if I can't chuck out a prayer too, just in case someone's paying attention.

5. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    He sounds like a real fighter. My thoughts are with you all.

6. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Man, that's rough. I'm not a God-fearing man, but I hope that everything comes out OK in the end. Your dad sounds like he ain't gonna go out without a fight though.

7. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Dude, I'm behind you and your father. So my prayers go out as well.

8. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Yikes...

My prayers goes out to you and your pops.

9. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Your father's will be in my thoughts. I hope he'll be able to pull through and come out ok.

10. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    sorry to hear about your father.
    you have my prayers for your dad and your family.

11. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

God bless your father and your family. And I'm sorry to hear about this. I went through something similar with my great-grandmother. I just hope your family doesn't have to go through this for months like we did.

12. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

My prayers are with you, and your father.

13. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    You got 'em, man. Hope your dad turns out OK.

14. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I am truly sorry to hear about that. I wish the best for your dad, you and your family.

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I'll keep you and your Dad in my thoughts, d00d, and I send my very best wishes for a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted.

16. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I lost my dad to cancer 10 years ago...lost my best friend that day. I know how tough it is to see someone like that suffer/struggle. I'll definitely keep you and your family in my prayers.

17. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

He sounds like a strong guy. My good wishes go out to you and your family.

18. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Try to be strong

I know what you're family is going through.My Father died of cancer 2 years ago and it devastated everyone to see Him go through His suffering.I know it's hard, but you have to be strong,especially for your Mother right now and always try to see the good side and hope for the best.I hope that your Father gets through this and continues to have a long life full of enjoyment and Love.

19. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Our thoughts and prayers are definitely with you!

20. ViceGripX

ViceGripX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank you, everyone. We were treated with a surprise at the hospital today. The breath mask was gone and the oxygen tube was back in place. Dad's vitals were good from about 3am this morning until we left this afternoon. He was alert throughout most of the morning and the early afternoon. He managed to speak three words, nod his head, and move his arms and legs a little bit. He also tried to take his oxygen tube out. We put a stop to that, of course. He's not out of the woods yet, but he's in much better shape tonight than last night.

What a difference a day can make. I just hope he continues on this positive path.