I need you guys' opinions.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 333HE, Nov 15, 2007.

1. 333HE

333HE HERSHEY'S GONNA EAT JOO.

So one thing has been nagging at me in the back of the brain for awhile. My father was in the military, my grandfathers were in the military...but I can't get into due to medical problems. So here I am, watching friends go into their desired branch of the armed forces, thinking "what can I do for my country?" other than the usual volunteer work. So then I started thinking in the bigger picture: what can I do for the WORLD? Now, I'm not trying to sound like some crazy hippie or anything, but there's a lot of bad shit that goes down in other countries. AIDS, famine, little or no education...not to mention a slew of other problems.

So I'm thinking about joining the Peace Corps. I've been reading up on it. Small pay. Undesirable living conditions. And two years is a long time to be away from home, let alone the civilized world, but I really wanna do something. Something big. Something that'll help create change. GOOD change. So seriously guys. What do you think?

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Red Cross?

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    As long as you can make a difference, it's worth it.

Man, you gotta have balls, and patience to do that. I can't even stand two days outta my house, I could never do what you're considering.

4. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    QFT, only I get nervous after about half an hour. (Not like school/work, but other stuff)

5. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    If you think you can live with said conditions and pay, and that if you feel that your work will make a difference, and in turn make you happy, I'd say go for it.

I admire your resolve. I myself do not possess the mental or physical fortitude be OUT there, directly helping people. I guess I'll have to settle for helping people as an engineer (if I ever get that far...).

Though for curiousity's sake, what other options are available for you?

6. Commander_V

Commander_V I have no title HAH

I have not myself, but have a number of friends who had joined the Peace Corps and were sent to places like Thailand, Bangladesh, Haiti.

The living conditions are indeed harsh and deplorable, and it's a long time away from home, but not a single one of them has regretted the decision and have told me it was one of the most cherished experiences of their lives.

My suggestion would be to go and speak with other members of the Peace Corps and talk to them about their experiences.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    If you're committed to joining the peace corps, thats an admirable goal and I commend your decision.

Have you looked into or considered other organizations though? Things like the National Guard, or the Salvation Army, hell, even organizations like Doctors/Engineers Without Borders. All I'm saying is look into lots of options before you make your final decision.

And remember, you don't have to go halfway around the world to change it. There are likely thousands of unfortunate souls in need of help in your very town. Volunteer at homeless shelters, at hospitals, at homes for the elderly. There's a lot of good you can do everywhere, and you seem to be willing to do it.

In any case, good luck. Its absolutely awesome that you've deciding to actively make a change in things for the better.

8. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    If you want to do something kinda like the military why not be a Police Officer. Its not that bad of a job and its pretty fun.

9. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    From what I heard you are more likely to get into the Peace Corps. with an Anthropology Bachelors. I was told this in an anthro elective I was taken so don't know if it's biased or the truth. But maybe if you wanted to take some anthropology classes and learn about different cultures and problems in certain areas, it can help you decide to where you want to go. Because I know they give you a choice although you don't always get your first choice. Also from your description you might want to go to school for anthropology, because that's what alot of anthropologists do is go to 3rd world countries and try to solve the problems there and make things better.

10. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

As long as you have a degree, the Peace Corps will generally accept (barring another disqualification). I actually looked into it years ago and began the application process (before I'd finished college). I was told that they want people who'd graduated college because that demonstrated a measure of the committment and resolve they require.

I'm certain an Anthopology degree is very attractive to them, but I know that they provide you with the training you will need once they select an assignment for you.

Anyways, the Peace Corps is a righteous group, and you can make a real difference with them. Alternatively, if you want to go into a lifetime of service, there's always medicine. Get an education in a medical profession, then join a group like MSF or the Red Cross (or any of dozens of others) and work in underserved areas for a few decades. Then go into private practice when you're 50 and buy a Mercedes.

Since you mentioned the military, if you want to serve in a manner you might consider patriotic, you could look into a career with the Diplomatic Corps.

There are a variety of options out there, but I think the most important immediate goal is obtaining an education, which is necessary for most if not all of them.

And as an aside, while I love people who want to serve in the military, I'm not so sure that if would give you the sense of doing anything for the world. So don't let it keep you up at night, 'cause there's a good chance that you're not really missing out that much.

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i think its admirable and you should totally do it if your heart is there. sounds like a life changing/affirming experience.

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Do it brah, in a few months/years you'll really like yourself, and the family will be proud.
    Plus you'll feel good for all those lives you saved and helped. And their families willl forever owe you gratitude. That pays off right there.

Just go and don't look back , or think of any regrets. We'll be rooting for you bud :thumb 

If you join the peace corps, I'll send you a movie Ratchet.