I need to stop going to "dealerships" for "fun"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by My03Tundra, Jul 21, 2007.

1. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    It is hotter then hell out here in AZ and my Dad has been talking incessantly about a Jeep Wrangler, or a Jeep 4x4 of some kind. He said he'd like to go prospecting again or really off of the beaten path and off-roading more then we could do together in my Ridgeline. Today was my day off and on my drive home from one of my Doctor's offices takes me right by a Chrysler dealership. So, I stopped at the dealership.

My Dad said he wanted just a short-wheelbase Wrangler that we (my Mom, Dad, and I) could all putter around in and go off-roading to places where there isn't a road. My Dad used to go prospecting, hunting and taking old four-wheel drive Fords, Chevys, Dodges, Internationals, and others to places most wouldn't dare go. But, he's always been wanting a Jeep. I looked at a short-wheelbase Wrangler Sahara (~24,000) 4WD and looked it over, asked questions, and asked to check access to the rear seat. Thankfully, I'm hypermobile and despite my back I can still touch my knees to my chin and put my legs behind my head. Yeah, it is a TIGHT fit to get in the back seat and it should be reserved for the more able and small children because of the tight leg room, too. The front is laid out intelligently and has the stereo up high and all controls laid out up ergonomically. But for my family it just wouldn't have worked because of the cramped rear seat.

I then checked out and even test drove a four-door Wrangler (~28,000). I never thought I'd see those words together but it is a great little SUV. The materials were pretty good and the back seat had a bit less leg-room then my Ridgeline but still decent even with the driver's seat all the way back. The rear cargo area behind the seats was a pretty good size, but not the size of a pickup bed with a trunk. You could still pack your gear and have some fun and under the main cargo floor

My Dad also asked about the Patriot awhile back. So did I. Wow. The Jeep Patriot is a very solid vehicle, decently priced (~24,800 as tested), and had a lot of similar features with my Ridgeline. It had the temperature display in the instrument gauge, a LCD vehicle status display (loved it) and more little nooks and crannies for storage then the larger Wrangler. Also, unlike my Ridgeline, the Patriot has a 4Lo mode and it's only limitation off-road is it's low ride height and IFS (Independent Front Suspension). That is fixable with an aftermarket lift kit.

I'd say if you're looking for an affordable, decent, and well built off-road vehicle with on-road manners the Patriot looks to be a decent choice. In stock form it is built more for the occasional off-road driver who isn't looking for a challenge. If you add a decent lift-kit it is even more capable. But, for the price of that lift, why not get the equally well-built and off-road champion Wrangler?

Well, after all of my research to help him, my Dad said (with his indecisive nature) he said he'd rather have an older Jeep that has already been the hell and back for him to beat up more and is cheap. Go figure.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  2. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    The Patriot is an excellent crossover SUV, and has a surprisingly good MPG for being a 4x4

It's the new Cherokee.

Minus the feeling like you're driving a truck.

3. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    SO True. I was very impressed by it and it is an awesome choice for an affordable four-wheel-drive vehicle. Plus, with the model I drove it was better priced for all it had then my Ridgeline. But, I like having a truck bed when I need one. I'm normally a foreign car/truck lover, but I was impressed by the quality of the Wrangler and the Patriot. I didn't like some things on the Wrangler, but they were more design issues.

4. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

Toyota Hilux FTW, indestructible and pretty good off-road.
    Of course if you want to go left-field look up a Mercedes G-Wagen, its a proper off-roader but still comfy inside, masses of interior space, great choice of engines (including a supercharged V8 if you've got the bucks for it) and nigh-on indestructible.
    My mother's old G-Wagen managed through muddy fields, bogs, snow and ice, carrying 8 kids on trips and managed to write off 4 other cars in separate accidents without being stopped itself. One tough vehicle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Wagen
    Oh and it's one of the only 4x4s in the US to have 3 locking Differentials as well

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

The patriot is basically the same version as my Caliber adn I love the thing. Only difference is that the Patriot has 4x4 drive and the Caliber isn't getting that feature avaliable until next year.

6. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Very possible, but it may not be the "Trail Rated" four-wheel drive system with the low gear like with the 2.4L engine on the Patriot.

7. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

No idea. Like I said, it hasn't been released yet and this was info I had last year when I was shopping for mine.

8. CheetahDC

CheetahDC Well-Known Member

The Caliber does have AWD available now (I've seen some with AWD badges around). The Patriot and Caliber have a few other differences. Different approach and departure angles, and different suspension set-ups (Freedom Drive or whatever they're calling it is the off-road capable suspension on Patriot), more visibility, higher greenhouse... that's all I can really think of at the moment. The Jeep Compass (why does Jeep need two crossovers the same size is beyond me) is probably closer to the Caliber.
    As for me, I don't intend to get another until my current car gets to the point its so shitty that repairing it wouldn't be worth it anymore. Which hopefully will be at least 10 years down the road.

9. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    I miss the Cherokee. Why did they have to replace that with the Liberty?