Customs: I Need Tips for Painting Flames

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Thrasymachos, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Thrasymachos

Thrasymachos energon cube

I am planning a repaint of Voyager Optimus which will involve painting a base-coat over the flame apps. I would like to reapply flames, but I am struggling with which method would yield the best results. If anyone has any tips or suggestions regarding this type of detailing, I would greatly welcome them.

Ideas so far:
    Freehand - not exactly ideal, as this would involve a lot of trial and error and almost certainly end up asymmetrical.

Stencils/Mask - using stencils/masking would facilitate smooth lines and symmetry, the difficulty here is making good stencils/masks. Designing them isn't really a problem, as I have a good vector-drawing program; cutting them will be the tricky part. Optimus' flames are very wavy and pointy; cutting curves and points on a relatively small scale is grrr.

Decals - there's got to be someplace out there that has decals - does anyone know of a good online source for model decals? Flames, military/industrial symbols, etc. would be a great boon to me.

Thanks in advance!

2. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am repainting the Leader Class Prime. If you do not have much practice with flames, it will get frustrating. I would sugest getting some decels. Free hand would not look that good. There was one on ebay that the flames were just nasty. Back to the point.
    Here is what I am doing... Basing Prime blue, using masking material, the stuff you use for your vinyl works great, then use a sharp, make sure it is sharp, exact-o knife, cut out the flames, then do the red. Are you using an airbrush on this?

3. encline

News Credits:
    I am repainting the Leader Class Prime. If you do not have much practice with flames, it will get frustrating. I would sugest getting some decels. Free hand would not look that good. There was one on ebay that the flames were just nasty. Back to the point.
    Here is what I am doing... Basing Prime blue, using masking material, the stuff you use for your vinyl works great, then use a sharp, make sure it is sharp, exact-o knife, cut out the flames, then do the red. Are you using an airbrush on this?

4. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

Decals would be the easiest solution, and would yield good results. Hobby shops sometimes sell (at least mine has them) pre-cut flame stencils. Those with and airbrush would be the best way to do it, but require airbrushing skills.

5. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

Decals would be the easiest solution, and would yield good results. Hobby shops sometimes sell (at least mine has them) pre-cut flame stencils. Those with and airbrush would be the best way to do it, but require airbrushing skills.

6. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
  7. timshinn73

Ebay:
  8. Thrasymachos

timshinn73, you are my own, personal Jesus. Thank you!

9. Thrasymachos

timshinn73, you are my own, personal Jesus. Thank you!

10. Cody2003

Cody2003 Well-Known Member

If you decide not to go with the templates and make your own, you can always get flaming tape. It's vinyl tape used in automotive circles to edge paint. you can get it down to 1/16in at any automotive paint store. It might still be a bit big, but it would allow you to make your own flames from scratch. I've painted a few cars using this stuff wherever I tape and it's ideal. Just my 2 cents. :) 

11. Cody2003

Cody2003 Well-Known Member

If you decide not to go with the templates and make your own, you can always get flaming tape. It's vinyl tape used in automotive circles to edge paint. you can get it down to 1/16in at any automotive paint store. It might still be a bit big, but it would allow you to make your own flames from scratch. I've painted a few cars using this stuff wherever I tape and it's ideal. Just my 2 cents. :) 

12. encline

News Credits:
    The only reason I know, is cause I do airbrush work and painting for a living. As well as teach airbrush classes for DuPont and Planet Color. These stencils look and sound perfect, but trust me. They will be hard to work with. I have screw up many a things before!! HAHA Please check out web.mac.com/enclinedesigns

I have some flame templates. They work fine on flat surfaces, but you will never get them to look good the fenders. The plastic just does not bend for round surfaces. I would cody2003 about the tape, or the paint mask for anything round. Another problem you will incounter is that if there are hihg spots, i.e the handles on the cab, the ridge in the hood ect, the stencils will not lay down right and you will have fuzzy edges. With out anything to hold down the stencil, when you airbrush it in, the sides of the flames my blow up and paint will sneek under there too.
    Looking at my voyager Prime here, I would say white graphics/paint mask on top of the blue flames. You will be able to see the blue threw the white paper, trace them, cut them out. Leave the paper on the flames. Then base it red. Once that is dry, same process, just leave the red covered up.
    I know it sounds like a lot of work, but that will yield the best results. Assuming you are aibrushing.

13. encline

News Credits:
    The only reason I know, is cause I do airbrush work and painting for a living. As well as teach airbrush classes for DuPont and Planet Color. These stencils look and sound perfect, but trust me. They will be hard to work with. I have screw up many a things before!! HAHA Please check out web.mac.com/enclinedesigns

I have some flame templates. They work fine on flat surfaces, but you will never get them to look good the fenders. The plastic just does not bend for round surfaces. I would cody2003 about the tape, or the paint mask for anything round. Another problem you will incounter is that if there are hihg spots, i.e the handles on the cab, the ridge in the hood ect, the stencils will not lay down right and you will have fuzzy edges. With out anything to hold down the stencil, when you airbrush it in, the sides of the flames my blow up and paint will sneek under there too.
    Looking at my voyager Prime here, I would say white graphics/paint mask on top of the blue flames. You will be able to see the blue threw the white paper, trace them, cut them out. Leave the paper on the flames. Then base it red. Once that is dry, same process, just leave the red covered up.
    I know it sounds like a lot of work, but that will yield the best results. Assuming you are aibrushing.

14. timshinn73

Ebay:
    I believe the idea behind the plastic template is for drawing custum flame patterns onto an adhesive mask, not to use the actual template in the painting process.

15. timshinn73

Ebay:
    I believe the idea behind the plastic template is for drawing custum flame patterns onto an adhesive mask, not to use the actual template in the painting process.

16. encline

News Credits:
    Really? Gotcha. You always have good ideas. Maybe I should have read more!!.HAHA. There I go again, thinking inside my box. The templates I have are designed to be use as shields, to airbrush threw, so you do not have to draw them out. Even so, they would have to be drawn on a masking paper or such. That is a good idea though. Flames get hard to draw or mask, especially on such a small surface.
    Looking back at the Prime, even if the 1/16" tape were used, you would not be able to get very clean curves because of how small the flames are.

17. encline

News Credits:
    Really? Gotcha. You always have good ideas. Maybe I should have read more!!.HAHA. There I go again, thinking inside my box. The templates I have are designed to be use as shields, to airbrush threw, so you do not have to draw them out. Even so, they would have to be drawn on a masking paper or such. That is a good idea though. Flames get hard to draw or mask, especially on such a small surface.
    Looking back at the Prime, even if the 1/16" tape were used, you would not be able to get very clean curves because of how small the flames are.