I need some splainin!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fishdirt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok long story short, up until 2009 I have been out of the loop since 2002 and looking through ebay for things my mind is completely blown. Why the heck are Iron Hide's and Ratchets so much? There's a ton of them but they all cost over 50 bucks. Same with Legends Jazz being 30 on average. These things just came out a little over a year ago.

What did I miss? I can still get hounds, which are harder to find, for 30 bucks.

2. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

the second coming of G1,aka CHUG/CHUGURTS/G3 etc.

3. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

Because they sell at that pricepoint?
    Don't get me wrong, I think it's wholly rediculous, but as long as people are willing to pay these prices, they aren't going to get cheaper.

4. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Basically the movie increased the number of collectors so there's more demand and prices went up. You have to keep your eyes open on ebay, you can find good deals once in a while.

5. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    G1 is an UNSTOPPABLE force...

6. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This is true. The junkion exchange can also provide a few good deals.

7. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

Also, 3rd party companies with their add on kits have really driven up the prices of the needed toys, like Magnus and Hot Rod. Yes you can get lame ass RTS Hot Rod, but a Henkei or even just Classics will set you back a pretty penny.

I was taking a look at the United stuff on eBay, which seems to be going for a lot more than the Henkei ever did in its day. It sucks when people have stuff to sell and they know that they can get away with charging such higher prices because we will buy it! It's just the way supply and demand goes.

8. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Ironhide was a mediocre mold that a lot of people passed on - then the Classics+ line kept going, and people wanted to complete it, so Ironhide's demand went up. Ratchet was an end of line release, and didn't show up in very many retail places - a lot of stores skipped that wave in favor of ROTF toys. A lot of people missed out on him, so his demand went up as well.

9. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I get that but hound was just as passed over.

I understand demand too but why is there demand? Do these molds unlock magical fairies that give a sense of some odd fulfillment? As far as I know there isn't a 3rd party add on.

I do check out the buy sell trade but what I saw on ebay blew my mind. If I only saw one or two auctions I'd get it but as much as twenty and even more in the completed listings that didn't sell.

And people wonder why there is a strong KO support community haha. You HQ KO guys need to make these if you're reading this.

10. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    Hound's price is on the low side because there was a re-release in Hong Kong. Ironhide and Ratchet did not.

11. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Under the henkei line? That would explain things a bit.

12. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    As far as Hound, the Henkei version was re-released by Takara, so prices arn't quite as bad for him right now. Before he was re-released, he was one of the hotter selling Henkei/universe figures (especially the Henkei which is a great deco).

As far as demand, Classics are hot right now with the new round in stores. People who either wern't into collecting, or didn't finish the previous lines are now playing catchup. This was happening when I got back into collecting (though not quite this bad). When I got back in, Alternators were pretty damn hot, but they have cooled now. Either wait for a deal, or wait some time.

13. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    Ebay confuses me!

Sometimes you can get great items for next to nothing, then the next person is wanting £100 for a loose Prime with all stickers ripped off.......

Patience is your friend on e-bay, there is always something that comes up every so often that you manage to get at a decent price and keeps a smile on your face for ages!

14. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    funny thing is I was about to drop 30+ euro's for a Ironhide and since them...
    I've bought 3! one MIB for 17.50 then a loose for 20 and a MISB for 10euro's
    how weird are those prices and fluctuated all over the place :(  jeeeezzz
    the reason I got so many now is that I gave up on owning ratchet...
    and wanted myself to make a custom, but luckily a fellow member offered a loose ratchet
    so now I can use 1 to customize working led's in and the other to trade ;) 

15. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    The nostalgia of G1 meets modern engineering,so the answer to your question is kind of yes.

16. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Those molds in particular (I could add ramjet but that's about 4 or 5 years old now). I get the fulfillment of modernizing the collections we had as a kid but these two just blow my mind.

Let me rectify the avg price...65 with shipping on Bay. Cripes, gonna be a while before I get that.

Ok, mystery partially resolved on those molds but how about the legends Jazz going for 30?

17. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Words to live by. One half of finding a great bargain is patience. Wait long enough and that deal on that item you've been waiting for comes along.