I need some opinions for a class project...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ruination04, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    please help!

what's your opinions/thoughts?

1. To what extent is stereotyping a useful practice?

2. What are your views on racial profiling?

2. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

1)Stereotyping IMHO IS NOT a useful practice.It's actually a barrier to getting to know people. Misconceptions are a dangerous thing sometimes,I mean how many possible friendships/realtionships are ruined because of misconceptions or misunderstandings.What makes a person isn't skin color but the person's attitude and personality

HOWEVER,if someone is stereotyped SOMETIMES it's their own fault for perpetuating the stereotype in the first place.If you know what I mean

Take for instance what Bill Cosby said about the Black community in general.Some blacks for years have been perpetuating the sterotype of "The Thug" with his gold chains and booty calls.While the women in general strive to be a video girl in a 50 cent vid

But yeah stereotypes have no place in society if the stereotype itself is negative

2)In these post 9-11 days I understand racial profiling.But for it to be useful it needs to be fine tuned.I mean with profiling you're basically condeming a WHOLE race for the the crimes of a few

3. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    1. The thing to remember with stereo types is, they tend to have some level of truth to them. That being said, you will get burned if you let them be anything more than mild amusement when dealing with people.

4. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

I think there is some truth that sometime sterotypes can be true seeing how the point of a sterotype is that its a broad generalization of truth. But thats the thing its a generalization and people are individuals and thats what you have to remember while dealing with people.

5. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

You can't have it that way though, it has to go both ways.

Take the stereotype of all Asian people being good at math. That is just as much a broad generalization as saying that all Hispanic people are lazy. If one is unacceptable, the other has to be as well.

Stereotypes are based on truths, so in that since they can be useful, but it's important to realize that people are so individualistic that it's impossible to utter one statement that can apply to all people of a particular race. You won't be able to get rid of stereotypes, because they are there are so imbedded in society at this point. What you can do is meet people with an open mind even though you have heard all of the stereotypes.

6. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thought 1) Drop out of whatever unit / subject this is. Sounds like total BS.

Thought 2) You should do your project on Raymond. Everyone loves that guy.

7. Ruination04

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My thoughts exactly....but I need it to graduate. It is intercutural communications.

8. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This sounds like an assignment I had to do in Sociology.

I think stereotypes are useless. You'll never really know a person unless you take the time to see what their personality is, what morals they have, and what their attitudes on life and how to live it are. Going around with some pre-conceived notion of who people are based on how they look, their age, their ethnicity, or whatever else won't always give you an accurate summation. To do so would be very close-minded, something I am quite adamantly against.

I suppose I could say the same for "racial profiling."

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i think it has it uses...say, internally, in the sense that, you use it as a tool to assess surrounding. its basically a cognitive tool for social familiarization.

as long as it does not affect case by case judgement, its handy. think of it as a prevention tool.

10. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think it depends on how you use it. A negative stereotype by race or religion is wrong. Like saying "Asians can't drive." Or "Blacks are lazy." That is wrong. But something like "Most Transfans prefer G1 Optimus Prime over BW Otimus Primal" Then it is ok. Also generalizations that have "That I know" after the group. Like "Most blacks that I know enjoy a good ham sandwich." or something Then THAT is ok. Because it is your opinion based on observation of only what you've seen.

On Racial profiling I thinks in a post 9/11 world it is a good place to start looking for terrorists and such. It is not fair to judge EVERYONE of that culture for the deeds of a few, but that is where you are most likely to find possible terrorist cells. I agree that it needs work though.

11. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Actually I can't stand that show.

12. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Hmmm...

Being from the white male population, there are not a whole lot of neg stereotypes floating in society, not that would be detrimental, such as the previous mentioned ones. That being said I hate being thought of as something I am not. The danger of stereotyping is that not all people act or behave like their stereotype. That being said, there must be some truth to the stereotype, even if just a little. I hate when I see people, or hear about people living the stereotype. Just detrimental to the group as a whole.

Profiling would be useful, if they knew who to profile. In 9-11 there is no way that all Muslims should be considered or treated as a threat, therefore it is really just governmental stereotyping.

13. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Sometimes I wonder if white people are the new minority.

I mean with the principles of affirmative action,white people could very well be the new minority

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

stereostereostereosterostereostereostereostereosterostereostereostereostereosterostereostereostereostereosterostereostereostereostereosterostereo

There goes too much stereotyping right there

ST's will always exists since everyone and everything seem so frikn inferior to each other.

Plus some people have it all figured out already, stereotyping is just something they cant help.

There's so many degrees of it and there's some good posts about em in here

15. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    A lot of people sometimes take that stance.
    For instance Calgary Police service is hiring, but if you are of a minority or female, you will have a greater chance to being hired.

I think that as a white guy, it is just something that you have to deal with. Is it fair, no, but either way, there a lot of other injustices from the past. Ie women’s right to vote. Black people not being allowed in a golf club, etc, etc, etc....could go on.

I think we should all just bite the bullet and inter-breed every race in to one county so there will be no more fighting about it.

16. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    In a few thousand years (or less), that will happen anyway.

I think it will be pretty boring having all people be the same color and race, negative stereotypes or not, but by then, humans and technology will be so different (if we haven't killed ourselves) that it won't matter.

17. Optmaxx

Optmaxx RC God TFW2005 Supporter

1. stereotyping is never a useful practice. Ijust do not agree with grouping people together be it good or bad.
    2. In my opinion racial profiling is a nother thing that should not be used even after 9/11. To say it is ok to profile one group of people is wrong and leaves the door open for the law to profile any one they want.

18. Ruination04

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, here's a couple more for you....

*****How does cultural membership affect views of racial profiling?

*** How have the events of September 11 affected American cultural views with regard to this issue?

19. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Ok,

Members of cultural minorities would be neg influence and likely it will create a (larger) rift between the people affected, namely Muslims and
    American 'Christian' society. In short people of minorities do not like it.

as for views of Americans, I cannot say, I am Canadian, but given the current state of affairs all over the place, I guess I have an opinion.

I am not Muslim, or follow in any particular religion. In the religion, as I understand it, there are some fanatics and others who are peaceful believers. I think is safe to say that the Peaceful believers out number the fanatics by a lot. We as a society are constantly subject to media throwing pics and stories about Bin Laden, terror, suicide bombers, red alerts, safety etc, etc.... It would be impossible, as a society to be worried about these things and intern quick to blame all the Muslims of the world.

BTW what class is this for?

20. Ruination04

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Intercutural communications.

Thanks for the answers guys......llet's hope I pass this stuff...I never wanna see it again! LOL