I Need Some Help with Making Comics

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Crazymadman, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Crazymadman

Crazymadman Dewbot leader

So I'm working a series of comics to release, but I don't quite know how to get it published and stuff. I already have a writer and artist. I've been told by some people to send Diamond Comic Distributors a copy of issue 1 and 2 of the series I want to release and if they like it, they will try to get it sold in stores. So I might do that.

If anyone could help me, I'd be very thankful.

2. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Be careful what you send and who it goes to. Especially if it isn't copywritten or trademarked.

What you have to do, and it's very very difficult, is send plot summaries and a pitch to comic companies. Hit up Dynamite, IDW, Image, Dark Horse, Oni Press, and any small publisher you can come across.

3. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What if a person wants to branch out on their like Laird and Eastman did for TMNT? I'm working on some things myself, and eventually in a few years want to get published.

4. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

If you already have a writer and an artist, what exactly are you doing?

5. Crazymadman

Crazymadman Dewbot leader

That's what I'm going to do. And I've been told to register issue 1 and 2 at the Writers Guild of Canada so then they can't take the idea from me.
    I forgot to mention that I'm the writer.

6. Hired Goons

Hired Goons Gassy autobot.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Comixpress.com.

I use them and they're awesome.

There's a comic called Cerebus' guide to Self-Publishing but it is out of date with a lot of things (he's updating it...it's by Dave Sim, who now publishes his books through Comixpress) but tells you about submitting stuff to Diamond (whose purchasing habits and order minimums have changed drastically since, I'm sure).

I print up my comics through Comixpress and sell them (on consignment in most cases) to local stores.

-paul

(My comics are Chug-Chug: Inaction and The Paul Show.)