I need some Botcon Prep assistance!

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by kronos, Feb 21, 2008.

1. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    I will be creating a list to take with me of things I would like to get. I will be taking $400 to spend in the dealer room, so i want to be as organized as I can. What i am needing assistance with, is the pricing I have placed next to each item. Please tell me if I have too much or too little next to each item. This will help me better spend my money on items. Also, what is the liklihood of being able to attain these items at said price! Thanks in advance!

Items to look for at Botcon:
    ($000) = Max I would pay. I will have $400 to spend.

High Priority:

Metroplex ($125)
    God Ginrai ($75)
    G1 Quake ($30)
    HM Chromedome
    WW Prime Statue ($50)
    Predaking ($150)
    G1 MP Skywarp ($100)
    OTFCC Catscan ($60)
    OTFCC Arcee ($60)
    Korean Brave Max ($150)

Medium Priority:

Blaster ($50)
    Any G1 Cassettes (up to $20 per)
    G1 Computron ($100)
    Rhinox Statue ($30)
    Any Beast Wars (will vary, but up to $20 per)
    OTFCC Sentinel Maximus ($100)
    SkyLynx ($75)
    G1 MP Megatron ($100)
    Revoltech Megatron ($20)
    KO G1 Cassettes ($20 per set)
    G1 Ultra Magnus ($50)
    Masterpiece Voltron ($120)
    Korean Big Convoy ($30)
    Korean Magnaboss ($30)
    Korean Trypticon ($50)
    Any Headmasters (up to $50 each)
    Any Targetmasters (up to $50 each)
    Any Power Masters (up to $50 each)

Low Priority:

OTFCC Shadow Striker & Roulette ($50)
    OTFCC Sideswipe ($25)
    OTFSS Sunstreaker ($30)
    Any Sports Label ($50 each. only one though)
    Misc Statues ($50)

2. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I think your prices are a bit low.
    Take Brave Maximus for example. I highly doubt that you would find any Brave Maximus for under $200, unless it was missing stuff. There are deals at Botcon, but you have to look for them.

3. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

Assuming you want these items in mint/complete to MISB condition, expect these prices:

High Priority:

Metroplex ($150)
    God Ginrai ($75)
    G1 Quake ($45)
    HM Chromedome ($50)
    WW Prime Statue ($50)
    Predaking ($200)
    G1 MP Skywarp ($130)
    OTFCC Catscan ($50)
    OTFCC Arcee ($100)
    Korean Brave Max ($250)

Medium Priority:

Blaster ($80)
    Any G1 Cassettes (up to $20 per)
    G1 Computron ($130)
    Rhinox Statue ($30)
    Any Beast Wars (will vary, but up to $20 per)
    OTFCC Sentinel Maximus ($150)
    SkyLynx ($120)
    G1 MP Megatron ($150)
    Revoltech Megatron ($35)
    KO G1 Cassettes ($20 per set)
    G1 Ultra Magnus ($50) if TRU reissue try $80+
    Masterpiece Voltron = not likely there
    Korean Big Convoy ($50)
    Korean Magnaboss ($50)
    Korean Trypticon ($150)
    Any Headmasters (up to $70 each)
    Any Targetmasters (up to $70 each)
    Any Power Masters (up to $70 each)

Low Priority:

OTFCC Shadow Striker & Roulette ($50)
    OTFCC Sideswipe ($50)
    OTFSS Sunstreaker ($70)
    Any Sports Label ($100 each. only one though)
    Misc Statues ($50)

Thats more in line to what you can expect to pay at botcon in the dealer room, you may get cheaper buying from individuals or at parts parties, but dont expect many bargains on the floor, especially not on the things you have listed...

the biggest bargains are usually on current import items like say black incinerator for example..while most online stores are charging 50 bucks ...someone there will likely have him for 35 or so..other things like wonderfest arcee, vardia starscream, and that aveo swerve and recent reissues like encore inronhide..etc will be there, and cheaper than on-line prices

my advice is to turn that $400 into $800 if possible.

4. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I've never been to Botcon, but I have been around and I know how to make my money do things!

I wouldn't so much take a list, but think about the things you know you won't want to buy. Kinda like an "anti-shopping list." I wouldn't focus on things that you can still buy from online dealers like MP Skywarp or MP Megatron... maybe even the Revoltech Megatron or KO cassettes. Only buy if you're getting a good deal.

If I were you, I'd focus in on a couple of those high and medium priority guys. And try to come away with really good examples of figures like Metroplex or limbs of Predaking. You can always try to complete them all later. Or shoot to score some exclusives.

And if you take $400 I still think you can get some good deals to come home with you!

5. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    I kind of had an inkling I would need to be flexable with the pricing! But this is actually helpful info. I just get myself in a habit of impulse buying and I cant do that!

6. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Here is my take on what you should expect. Some of what you were expecting was close so I'm only going to give my advice on the stuff I feel you are way off on.
    Korean Brave Max ($150) $200+
    OTFCC Sentinel Maximus ($100) $125-150
    Korean Trypticon ($50) $75-100
    OTFCC Shadow Striker & Roulette ($50) $75
    OTFCC Sideswipe ($25)you might find him at this price but $45 is more realistic
    OTFSS Sunstreaker ($30) $50
    Granted you can always find stuff cheaper but I think this is what you will find. I hope this helps

7. Sky Shark

Sky Shark Well-Known Member

I think you should maybe plan for anywhere from 20-50 dollars above those prices. I don't know if I got ripped off on Grimlock too(Got ripped off on the Leo Convoy vs Galvatron 2 pack, paying 150 for a sealed/new version last year so I've questioned my other purchase too.) but I payed about 64 dollars for a good condition G1 Grimlock with most of his weapons. I will recommend, take your time, don't rush into a purchase but don't be a snail either, you might miss something that you wanted if you do, Botcon might have a lot of stuff but its not that huge unless 07 was just abnormally small in dealer size. I know I've only gone to one Botcon but I felt maybe I could help in some way with this advice.

8. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

What you should do is check what the going rates on Ebay are before the show. If prices are significatly higher than that at the show, buy the item from Ebay.

9. Sky Shark

Sky Shark Well-Known Member

Yeah, definitly do what rework said, I was given that same advice and like a baka(Japanesee word for idiot) I didn't do it... >_>. But yeah also there's the common sense law that does kick in too like if you see, say a far from mint Grimlock going for 60 + Dollars, don't buy it. Best of luck though to you and your toy hunting at Botcon!

10. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah as much as it's a chance to walk into a big store that every toy you've ever wanted (pretty much) don't buy it at Botcon just to buy it at Botcon. A lot of money can be saved elsewhere. I spent like 300 dollars at OTFCC '03 and barely touch any of the stuff I bought :( 

11. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    Others are right, check eBay to get an idea of what things are selling for on the open market. Another tip would be to wait an hour or two prior to the dealer room closing on Sunday afternoon and look for deals. While you risk not finding what you're looking for you'll have a much higher chance of finding things cheap and/or finding dealers that want to liquidate their stock before packing up their merchandise.

12. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    See, I have been revising my list to see what i want that I can wiggle with! And I am steering toward some big ticket items that are normally not easily attainable. I may pay a pretty penny for them. But in the longrun I will be happy! Thanks for all the advise everyone. Its been a HUGE help!