Customs: I need Ideas

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Grimlockprime16, May 7, 2011.

1. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

Ok hey guys. I got a bit of an issiue here. I just moved and I have my own room for doing kitbash projects which is great. My problem is I have always up untill this point done my bashes on the floor in my bedroom cuz I didnt have anywere else to do them. I have know Idea what kind of setup I should be working with with all this new space. all i have so far in my room is a desk to work at and a lamp. Any ideas would be helpfull. Thanks for any hepl to come.

2. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

A cutting mat is a good surface to work on. I'd also get one of those miniature drawer stands so you can have one for paints, one for spare parts, one for tools (and one for screws!) etc.

I kitbash on the floor due to lack of space, so these suggestions are what I'd be going for.

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Personally, I don't need anything fancy to do my work. I have a thick plastic (I'm talking almost kitchen cutting board material) tray with long metal legs I picked up at Wal-Mart. Being in an apartment, I didn't want something huge that took up a lot of space, but this is perfect for the work I do. I have two cutting boards that cover most of the desk, my dremel to the right side, a set of small parts/tool drawers in the back/middle (where I keep my extra hands, heads, screws, small joints, and small weapons), and a lamp to the left/back corner (natural sunlight lamp). It's not a huge desk or anything, but it's large enough to get the job done. You can pretty much go with any kind of chair (I have one of those huge reclining/gliding type of chairs that rotates 360 degrees). I like comfort when I'm working. lol

And believe it or not, a good chunk of my work (at least the planning and basic shape cutting) I do on my bed, using a small green kitchen cutting board. For more intensive work, I'll work at the desk for more of the major building/painting. I also keep a stack of small bathroom cups next to the lamp. I have q-tips in one (I use those to smooth along any edges where glue might be sticking out--and also to remove paint with alcohol, if it's a small area). I also use these cups for parts that need paint removed (just put alcohol in the cup and let it soak for a bit, then slowly rub/scrub it off) and I use them to put water and paint in when mixing washing out my brush from my acrylic paints.

Honestly, any desk will do. For a while, I just used Stephanie's (my fiancee) nightstand, until I picked this up. You don't need some huge setup to get the job done. If you're good at your work, you can do it pretty much anywhere.

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

If you have a desk and a lamp, what are you here for? That's all you need. I'm working off an old desk that i've had covered in plastic (so that paint goes on the plastic and not the desk, and a piece of scrap wood on top of that, which again takes paint spills and also allows me to cut stuff with my dremel on top of it. Whenever i feel it's getting too messy, i just throw away the wood. I'll probably also put a layer of cardboard on top soon, so then i only remove the cardboard and not the wood, even cheaper.

Aside from that, get a few old clamps/clips to hold stuff that you've painted, and that's all you'll need.

Oh, and a shelf to store all your tools/paint. Done. Get bashing already. ;)