Customs: I need ideas for repainting Alts

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Lucs, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    I have a few extra alternators I've been collecting now I need to know what to do with them in terms of repainting/head swapping for new characters to add to my collection. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you think my ideas are good let me know that too
    INSECTICONS
    Dark grey Sideswipe KO - Kickback with Meister head
    Richochet - Shrapnel with Rollbar's head
    Corvette Ravage - Bombshell with modified wheeljack head

Corvette Ravage - I think I'm gonna use my original for Rewind and a tracks head
    Ravage 2.0 - Steeljaw
    Silverstreak - Megatron with classics megs head (I would probably sell this one let me know if you'd want it once it's finished)
    Wheeljack with no blue stripes - Magnus with prime head painted

STUNTICONS
    Wheeljack - Breakdown with hound head
    Decepticharge - Dragstrip with Windcharger's head
    Windcharger or Swerve - Deadend with modded Nemesis Prime's head
    Dead End - Wildrider with Sideswipes head ( not sure if I'll modify it or not)
    Nemesis Prime - I still need an extra one(anyone selling?) to do this with a Hound head

The ones above I have pretty much locked in but the ones below here are what I really need help with

Zoom Zoom - Thinking Cliffjumper with modded silverstreak head
    Yellow Tracks - Bumblebee with modded ricochet head (kind of a mix between toon and movie)
    Camshaft - not sure yet
    Blue BT Prowl - not sure yet
    Rollbar - I just don't like him too much so I don't know who to turn him into, maybe Brawn but what head would work? I've never molded my own heads

Alts/BTs I already have are:
    All hasbro Alts, Bt Alert, BT Broadblast (aka Blaster)
    customs include Ratchet, Inferno, Grapple, Ironhide, Trailbreaker, Soundwave, Frenzy, and Buzzsaw
    I'm not interested in doing the seekers cuz I have MP versions of them

2. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    No help huh? I guess a lot of these have already been done, so I guess I'll keeping searching for ideas

3. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
  4. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Yeah I've definitely thought of that Tantrum idea, the faces are very similar

BT Rampage is nice too but I don't have those sort of molding skills, I might try it though

Thanks for the ideas TTT

5. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

It's actually really easy - it's explained in the thread how its done.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I know that my process is a bit different than most, but I tend to start with what I want the alt mode to look like and work inward to the robot. For instance, instead of trying to build a list of characters I want to make and seeing which make/model works best for each, I'll take the make/model (a Mustang, for instance) and decide on what I want the alt mode to look like. After I work on that idea, I'll go through databases and see which character I think it suits.

I say that and say that's not ALWAYS how I work. With my Alternators Seekers, I did start with each robot and tailored the alt modes to suit each bot a bit more. However, I did some extensive research into the subculture of tuner custom cars to see what kind of designs would be plausible or not.

My main goal is to not shoehorn a TF into an unsuitable alt mode disguise. I remember when Alt customs were first becoming popular, I saw so many of taking X Alt and painting to look like Y TF, then when the TF was in alt mode, it looked like a rainbow of horror.

Another thread on the board mentioned if "licensed cars" were a big deal to Alt enthusiasts, and my work simply reflects my opinions on that to a great extent. While I'm not saying each Alt custom I like to see should be "stock", I do like to see Alternators with alt modes that are feasible. It's for this reason I took my Alt Prowl and removed the "HIGHWAY PATROL" and other markings from it and made it into a Prefecture Police squad car. In Japan, that car is actually used for a police car; in the US it is not (or at least I've never seen on used. If someone can provide me a photo of a US police Acura, I'd actually LOVE to see it!).

Anyways, I know that probably doesn't help you get a list of customs together, but it does show you how I've generated my "to-do" list. I hope it helps :) 

. . . also, I'm certainly not afraid of creating my own characters. Many times, my own characters tend to be more special to me than a G1 homage . . . and sometimes not :lol  Bottom line: create customs you're happy with :thumb 

7. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I used zoom zoom to make into Razorclaw, although he is a stretch of the imagination. Cliffjumper might be cool but the red is a bit dark for him i think.
    Blue Prowl I used to make Nightbeat, and I've seen a few that are alot better than mine
    Rollbar can be any number of characters, but looks alot better if you add black to the grill and around the door edge
    Camshaft looks alot better with the reprolabels set too

Regards

JL

8. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    I might do Nightbeat from Prowl, not a bad idea. Seen it done before and it looks cool

I already have a Camshaft with the reprolabels set and I agree it looks great, but the thing is I have an extra Camshaft. I just got the idea to make him into Springer (no it doesn't bother me if he's not a triple changer)cuz I really want to make one of him with a Tracks head. I think I'll just paint all the blue parts green, add some yellow bits and paint a Tracks head to match

As for the colors on ZoomZoom my keychain Cliffy's red is pretty much the same exact color as ZZ

I did add black paint to one of my Rollbars when I made him into Inferno, I'm sure I'll eventually do it to my other RB once I figure out who to tun him into

Thanks for the input