I need help with a trading dispute.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nightscream, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    Hello boys and girls, I could use your input on a case.

I recently sold a set of all DVD microns for $480 including $42 shipping to Italy. They were packed like this:
    [​IMG] The buyer opened a paypal dispute, with the following messages posted:

to which I replied:

and he answered
    What do you guys think is fair in this situation?

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

You're not going to like what I have to say, but you asked.

I think your box and packing was completely insufficient. I wouldn't pack something like that for a $20 item, let alone something pushing $500. The box looks old and worn, making it more susceptible to damage during shipment. You did not pad the items at all on five out of six sides of the box, meaning the slightest impact can cause a problem, especially with a delicate item like the trays those came in. What you should have done was start with a crisp new box, wrap each item individually in bubble wrap, lay a floor of packing materials at the bottom of a box, stack the bubble wrapped items in the middle, and then stuff packing materials along all four sides of the box as well as the top. Especially with this being so expensive and going over overseas, you made a big mistake here and owe your buyer a substantial refund. Probably not a full one since they are keeping the merchandise, but I'd offer them at least $100, maybe up to $200.

3. mslz22

mslz22 Active Member

I would imagine that paypal will not rule in his favor in the long run, i have found that they are only willing to refund $ if there is proof of no shipment to the buyer. That being said, in the interest of fairness i would try to come up with a money amount to refund to the buyer if they were damaged in transit, they do not look like they were packed well at all. Any item of value needs to be bubble wrapped, and protected with packing peanuts.

4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I bought a set of the DVD Microns last year, and the seller individually wrapped each plastic case in its own layer of bubble wrap. This was cushioned on all six sides by thick layers of bubble wrap. That would have been the ideal way to pack, in my opinion (particularly for international shipping).

5. Nightscream

Ebay:
    Okay, I accept the fact that I am responsible for the damage. But a $100 or $200 refund? That seems a bit high to me. There is only one dvd minicon on ebay right now, and it is sold without the outside tray for $25. I sold mine at $34 each with the outside tray. Here are some thoughts:

1: buyer keeps the set with a refund of $9 each ($45] covering the difference compared to ebay value, with an added 5% of the total ($24) to compensate the detriment in value for the full set, for a total of $69 refunded.

2: I pay return shipping for the damaged goods, and the buyer gets $34 each ($170) refunded.

How does that sound?

6. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Shipping really roughs up boxes. Really roughs them up. Anything that's a clear plastic, non supporting structure (like those boxes, or the bubbles on carded figures) should never be up against the edge of a box when shipping, if possible; they'll crumple like wadded paper when the box gets something dropped on it (and it will).

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Never send expensive orders internationally, there's always something to go wrong.

8. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Well, the buyer is the one who you have to negotiate this with. Reading his reply, he mentions that he is planning to re-sell these, so I don't think refunding the difference to Ebay value is really fair to him... Especially considering he purchased in bulk from you.

9. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Save all correspondence with him. You never know when you'll need it.

And I agree about the packaging. Got to individually wrap things. Assume the worst from the postal services.

10. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    So you only want to offer him a $170 refund for items he paid over $400 for and you want them returned to you? Dude, either refund the total and pay return shipping or just send that amount and let him keep them. Don't even email him that offer. It's insulting.

11. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    He should refund only the value of the 5 damaged, not the whole thing!

12. Nightscream

Ebay:
    Hm, yes, it seems it is diffucult to agree on these things. Perhaps I should just escalate the dispute to a claim with paypal, to have them decide what's fair.

13. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

:inquisiti 
    Ten years of overseas experience says you're wrong.

14. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Perhaps wait and see the extent of the damage first then negotiate the refund? And since he claims only 5 were really damaged, why not offer a total refund on just those five.

It really is a bad packing job, especially for an overseas shipment. For items that delicate, you have to really put some effort into securing them in their packaging. Something like that may work for retail distribution where they're truck shipped and have no real worry for mint condition deliveries. But this guy was hoping to resell these in mint condition, but can't really do that for at least five of them. Though, he should have had you state the full cost of the items for insurance.

15. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    With expensive orders? Not talking about $20 toys here.

16. Nightscream

Ebay:
  17. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Dude, he meant $170 for the return of those that are DAMAGED, not the entire shipment

18. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sad to say - I agree that you did not pack the toys well enough...but I agree, you should only refund those that were damaged.

19. rdarkstream

rdarkstream Minicon lover

Ebay:
    Would you like me to break down what each dvd minicon normally runs?

With dvd and paperwork the price only really gets boosted by about 5 bucks.
    The one on ebay as also sat there for about 6 months too.
    Hard pressed? not really. Just need to know where too look. You can still buy a few of these misb from an japan online store for about 33 yen a peice.
    The only two times i have seen this full set on ebay one went for 415 and that started at 1.00. The other was a set bin of 500ish i think. These were complete.

5 were damaged? even at 20 bucks per toy its 100 bucks. Plus refund the shipping because it was an awful job at packing. Although i don't normally refund shipping so i would say 100-110 bucks and call it a day.

20. SPIKE

SPIKE ZONE DEFENSE!!

No, he would probably win the dispute as paypal favors the buyer. The packing was not that good. I ship alot of Computer stuff (Video Cards, CPUs, HD's, and memory) and i never pack anything like that. i make sure it gets to the buyer as if i had it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.