I need help picking an mp3 player...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Edge, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

So I guess a bit of history is in order for this...

a few years back...maybe 04 I dunno I got this really nice mp3 player for an x-mas gift held a lot of space and played pretty well. Up until at least I came to find it wasn't very durable. Eventually, the volume nob broke and soon after it was dead as a door nail. I didn't have the money to get a new one. So I just went back to the old cd player, car stereo setup.

Then this year I decided to try mp3s out again. I didn't have much money but I noticed I could get one for about 50-70 bucks. And this one served well till today when suddenly it decided not to be read in my usb port and when it did it cloned the same song somehow about 20 times instead of the music I put on it.

It is with that I'm not hunting for a new mp3 player, but obviously I don't know what the hell I'm doing with these things as they keep craping out. I'm gonna be researching a bit but I figured I could get some help here. Basically, this is what I'm looking for in an mp3 player:

-holds about a gig maybe 2 gigabytes, I don't need 120 gigs or something as I usually get bored and delete and replace songs in my list as it is.
    -Something with a rechargeable battery, I know I shouldn't have to specify but I've seen ones that require a aaa battery and given I used mine a lot it just save me on money.
    -Clearly something that can take a beating given the last 2 a factor in it was probably it got knocked around unknowingly. I am not sure but its a safe bet it was a factor
    -Again somewhere below a hundred maybe around 50.

I know its a lot I'm asking for but I can't really see why I should pay for so much if mine keep craping out. So I'm hoping maybe I get a cheap one and it holds up the next one I may be a little more willing to spend more money.

Any and all help would be apprecated thank you

2. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    I have a Creative Labs Zen V. Several people here recommended them when I was looking for an MP3 player, and I have to recommend it too. Depending on the model, 1-2 GB Zens are pretty affordable and all seem to be below $100. Hell, some of the 4 GB models are under $100.

Can't quite comment on the durability as I am very overprotective of it. It rarely leaves my hand or pocket when I'm walking with it. A friend said he'd probably break the LCD within a day, but I don't know what he'd be doing with an MP3 player to break it that fast. My Zen did, however, get a small chip on the bottom when I slipped out of my hand and fell about six inches onto asphalt. But hey, it was asphalt.

Here's Creative Labs' MP3 player site http://us.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=213

3. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    yeah Creative Labs Zens are pretty sweet. Personally, I would just say "fuck it" and buy an iPod. (that's what i did, actually).

4. SarahMobius

SarahMobius Adventurer

News Credits:
  5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    that batmp3 is totally rad.

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the earbuds are lame-o, but a batarang mp3 player? that kinda rocks.
    so what kind of Mp3 player for the hulk, iron man and Wall-E?

7. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I would normally recommend the Ipod Nano, and you can get a refurb from Apple for like 110 + a 15 dollar Itunes card. But if your price range is around $50, then creative labs is your best bet. I've heard good things about them.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, for small capacity plus rechargeable I'd recommend checking out a Rio Forge.

It's actually double-AA, but you can get rechargeable batteries and they work great. Plus, it's a really durable brand. It lasted me through a year in the back of a Bradley in Iraq, and still plays fine when I run with it.

9. ultraconvoy

ultraconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    I still need a MP3 too!

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sony Walkman MP3 Player. 33 hours of music, vs Ipod's 14 hours, video playback, radio tuner, and a very nice equalizer system to really enhance the MP3's beyond their original sound. Also 50 bucks less than the same gig Ipod (4gig). Futhermore, it's all drag and drop, so you don't have to go through some bullshit software to get your music into the system. You just drag the music into the folders you create. Same goes for video. And if can be used as a Flash Drive, per say, since I use it to move things from my PC to my PS3.

It doesn't have the fancy name and following of the Ipod, but you'll be listening to it a lot longer and have less hassel getting your music and TF:animated episodes into it.

11. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    [​IMG] ?

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would be proud to carry that around.