Customs: I need help/opinions!!!

Discussion in 'Requests' started by dragontron88, Jul 30, 2008.

1. dragontron88

dragontron88 Your new Lord, & Master

So I start school at the Art Institute of Portland in about 8 weeks! Really looking forward to it. I really have no experience, but have a vision of what I would like to do, and I am going there to aquire the skills to make it a reality, now my problem is, I need advice as to what I should be looking for in a lap top to run maya and photoshop on. Again, really have no clue,:eek:  alot of you guys seem to know your stuff,:bowdown:  and I would really appreciate the help. I get my bonus from my job next month, looking to spend about a grand of it on a lap top, dont want or need a desk top. Thanks for all advice in advance!:thumbs2: 

2. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Depends on the course/program you are taking. If your going to do animation or video editing stuff, laptop won't be much help for the heavy stuff. If you let me know what type of program your going into, then I could help suggest a laptop that would help.

3. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    i don't agree with you i'm afraid, you may not want a desktop, but you do need it. for photoshop a laptop will be fine, for maya though... well, you'll be able to use a laptop for it just fine, just depends how many days you want to leave it rendering for. and from personal experience, having your computer out of action for days on end leading up to end of term deadlines is no fun!!!

(especially when after the several days of rendering is over you realise you forgot to specify which camera to render it from, and your entire movie has been rendered from 0,0,0, a view which contains nothing but a toe. oops.)

for 3d you'll need a fast processor and loads of ram, if you want to do any video editing work then you'll also need a massive hard drive too. all of these things are much easier and cheaper to come by in a desktop rather than a laptop. if you can get something with a fast graphics card rather than the usual built-in ones then that would help with on-the-fly viewing, but for actual rendering, you need all the hardware you can get, and a $1000 desktop will get you something twice as good as a $1000 laptop. don't be tempted to spend money on a better graphics card than more memory and faster processor, as the most intensive task is the final rendering, which the graphics card can't help much with as much as better system resources can.

if you really really must get a laptop then make especially sure that you get something with a big screen, as both maya and photoshop have very complicated interfaces with millions of panels floating around, so anything less that 17" 1440x900 will be a really painful experience. $1000 should get you a high spec dell 1530, that will have a 17" screen, 256mb separate graphics card, a few gig of ram etc, which photoshop would really fly on.. but really, you could get so much better from a desktop. you would never ever in the real world find a professional 3d modeller using a laptop! they're all on powerhouse desktops with huge (24"+) monitors, hooked up to big render farms.

presumably your course doesn't only cover maya and photoshop, i certainly havent heard of a course like that before - will you be doing after effects, premiere, illustrator, flash etc too? as venksta says, if you could post a list of your modules of study then that would be really helpful

4. dragontron88

I'm taking the visual effects, and motion graphics program.
    a list of a few courses that I will be taking, in the begining, they all seem to branch out to higher levels of the same idea

Digital principals-computer theory/application
    principals of visual communication- controlling visual space, communicating in 2-d forms
    3d modeling and animation 1- foundation towards modeling and animation
    color theory
    this is just a few, but alot of it is 3d animating, and graphics. you guys are swaying me towards a desktop, I just want to be mobile with my work. gonna be real busy come October between school, work, and the gym. Thats why a laptop looks good. For my mobility, guess I'll be hunkering this down at home.

When I was getting the run down of the courses, the only apps. they talked about were maya and photobucket. I know there are way more out there, and I more then likely will be using more then a few of them. Again just for refence and ideas as to what I will need to run all of this, not a real genius when it comes to all of this technichal computer stuff, but what the hell, its what I'm going to school for!

5. Venksta

News Credits:
    Here is another question, if you really want to get a laptop. What kind of access will you have at the campus when you don't have classes? I went to the Art Institute of Vancouver, and they had 24 hour access for the computer labs. It helped a lot when I had a lot of stuff to render out. If the school your going to has similar access, getting a laptop should be fine, as long as it can handle most of the work you'll try on it. Then you can leave the rendering to the PCs at your school.

As for the laptop itself, try getting something with a 2.0ghz+ cpu and a gaming vid card on it. Also try to get one that has at least 160gb of hard drive space.

6. dragontron88

Venksta, not sure about access to labs, will have to find out monday. I was doin a little looking, and found that I might be willing to spend a bit more for what you were talking about. possibly selling a bit of my colection to get it, but this is what I was looking at

Gateway Official Site: Retail - Gateway FX4710-UB802A Desktop Product Details

thoughts? opinions, could you refer somthing better? I know, from looking at your work, that you know what you are talking about, and so I am really gonna trust your judgment.

7. Venksta

News Credits:
    If you are still interested in getting a laptop, first check about the lab access. If they do offer something like I said before, you could go with a laptop. If they don't have it, I would then highly recommend the desktop you gave the link to. Thats a really good system. I have something similiar(but with more horsepower :)  ).