i need help (newspaper class)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lumpy, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    ok, so i just started teaching a class at a middle school...5 classes of web design, which im fine with, but one class is newspaper, and i cant figure out any solid lesson plans....anyone have any advice on fun activities to get the kids motivated? ive been doing some small stuff, free writing, editing stories to shorten length, but am getting stuck...any advice would rock...

2. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I don't have my old lesson plans handy, but having the students get into groups of four or five and creating their own news magazine/paper is very cool....especially to them. Each student in the group is responsible for 2-3 aspects of the newspaper (sports, news, local, entertainment, etc.). In the end, they write and revise each other's articles, create advertisements, and put it all together. Research would be necessary for certain aspects.

Depending on the time you have, this covers many state standards and takes several weeks to complete, but it's a worthwhile and challenging project.

Edit: A reasonable size of the entire paper is 6-10 pages, depending on page size.

3. Lumpy

News Credits:
    yeah, thats one thing the teacher before me started to do, but he walked out and didnt have any lesson plans, and i do know the principal wants 2 newspapers by the end of the semester...i need to sit down with her to see what she wants in them...unless its all just up to me...thanks

4. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Teach the differences between regular writing and news writing. The most helpful thing I learned during my tenure in college to be a Journalist was the differences between NEWS WRITING and regular writing.

That, and teach the fundamentals of the AP handbook if you have one. If not, let me know, I think mine is still laying around somewhere. But it teaches you everything from COMMON NAMES (ex: I can write DENVER -- then my story because most people will know it's Colorado. But if I write FORT COLLINS, I have to put FORT COLLINS, CO --- then my story because it's not a common name, or some crap like that).

5. Lumpy

News Credits:
    awesome, thats a good idea, ill have to look for that book...i kinda got thrown for a loop by jumping into this class, ive been using teach.net but there's not a huge amount of info i seem to be able to work with...and then also about half of my students just wont do anything...i assigned a simple write 4 paragraphs about anything you want, 3-6 sentences, and about 2/3 did it, and half of them only wrote 5 sentences total...so, im trying to be more creative, and just not having much luck....

6. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Well, you're going to have to lay down the law with these kids if they're not doing the work. Make the conseqences harsh for not doing the work. That's the only way they'll learn.

7. Lumpy

News Credits:
    oh i know, some of them have been bringing in grade checks, and i fill them out with a big 0. they'll fail...problem is since im an elective teacher, they dont have to pass my class to move on to the next grade, which is part of the problem with the school im in...

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Garrote one. You'll only need to do it once.

9. Lumpy

News Credits:
    yeah, i guess i could try that...dont recall a rule in the handbook that specified no garroteing....