I need help for my mom (atrial fibrilation related)...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razorclaw, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

My mom had an electric cardioversion today to cure her atrial fibrilation she has had for a few months. The doctor's don't know how much she'll hold her synus rhytm, and I don't want my mom to go through it again, and since drug cardioversion with amiodarone is not effective (she has a positive response to cardioversion using propafenone) I need help from people willing to buy medication for my mom.

She responds pretty well to propafenone, but propafenone in ampules is not available here (the one in pills can be found, but that one is not used in drug cardioversion). So if there is anyone here willing to buy propafenone in ampules for my mom, and send them to us, I'd be glad to pay for their trouble (and the medication and shipping ofcourse).

2. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    There are many big words in that post... I'm a bit overwhelmed...

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Okay, I don't know how that would be feasible as far as prescriptions go and everything, but I would be more'n happy to try long as you were willing to send me sufficient documentation regarding your mother's condition to convince me that I wasn't getting involved in some sort of bizarre scheme.

And I'd really want a letter from her doctor as opposed to a relative detailing the need for this treatment, basically so I knew you weren't independently prescribing this.

But yeah, I would be happy to try and work something out with you.

4. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Hey squirrel, while you're at it, I've got my newest 'script for Phencyclidine. I'll send it to you promptly.

5. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    and squirrelcar, where is my pot?

...you know, for my glaucoma.

6. Razorclaw

OK, as for her documentation, I can send you scans, but I have no skill and time to translate all of those to english, though I think diagnosis in latin is universal in the world, and names of most used medications.

I don't know the procedure in your country squirrelcar, here you can get medicine for free with a prescription, or you can buy it for money. I was thinking it would be hassle free just to pay for the medicine instead of going to a prescription route. If that's the only way, fine by me. I'll send you scans when she comes out of the hospital with the documentation.

What should I ask the doctor to write in his letter?

I don't know if this is important to you, she takes propranolol 3x40mg, propafenone 2x300mg and warfarin (doseage of this medication changes according to INR value when she goes to a scheduled blood test).

7. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm no expert, but it sounds like she may need a cardiac ablation and/or a pacemaker.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

PM me an email address and I'll follow up with you through that.

But heads up, in America, one can't purchase those medications without a prescription. They simply won't sell them to me without one. However, there may be other options...but those need to be reserved for private emails.

9. Razorclaw

And that'll take forever to do in my country. Most of the price is covered with medical insurance, but you have to wait on a list. And going to a private clinic cost both arms and both legs. And on top of that it appears they don't do cardiac ablation in my country, or the doctors would have mentioned it by now.

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Can I get some epinephrine and diazepam? Our crazy Canadian health care system won't cover it for me.

11. Razorclaw

This is a serious topic. I find the careless attitude some people here express disturbing.

12. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Sorry about your mom's condition, but asking for drugs on a toy forum is a bit of an odd request, yes?

Not to mention I think it is illegal.

13. Razorclaw

I ask here because I see people help each other here, and I don't know anyone from abroad who can help me and my mom in this matter. If you know some better place where I can get some help, please share it with me. Thank you.

And how is me asking for medication that can help my mom, but cannot be found and bought in my country, illegal?

14. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Because we live in a nation that has lawsuits for everything. I'm not a doctor, or a lawyer so I am not certain, but I would have to imagine that this would create a huge liability for anyone providing these drugs to you. The laws in your country may also prohibit the shipping of these drugs.

Did you ask the doctors why they don't have this medicine? I'm also a bit confused about how she was able to obtain it before.

15. Razorclaw

She didn't obtain it herself. It was administered to here in a hospital. Last time they gave her two ampules of propafenone, and sent us to another hospital for her to receive 2 more. They didn't have ampules of propafenone there, so they gave here 2 of amiodarone. The next day, her condition was the same. She stayed in atrial fibrilation for more than 36 hours, and after that, she had to start taking warfarin, so no cloths would form in the heart due to the irregular rhytm, thus avoiding a posible stroke. The only choice left was for my mom to live with atrial fibrilation for the rest of her life, or try an electric cardioversion. She chose the latter, because atrial fibrilation puts even more strain on her already ill heart. She suffers from obstructive cardiomyopathy since birth, here heart is working (was working before the atrial fibrilation) with 70% capacity with sporading arrythmias (extrasystolic and such). Add atrial fibrilation on top and it is BAD for her.

Electric cardioversion resets the rhytm of the heart, but by itself it cannot keep that rhytm. Administering antiarrythmics like propafenone or amiodarone is used for keeping the synus rhytm of the heart. And even then it's not 100% sure. I just wanted to spare my mom months of anxiety she allready had, if the worst happens again.

The doctors traced the cause for her falling out of rhytm to hyperthyreosis. She fixed that condition, her thyroid gland is not making anymore trouble, but that is also one of the reasons why she can't take amiodarone. It can screw her thyriod gland pretty good which will take us back to the beginning. A loop.

We asked the doctors why they don't have propafenone, some said it isn't made anymore by local pharmaceutical industry, others said that they don't know. Our country has her own pharmaceutical industry, so about 80% of medication are homemade and hospitals are forced to use them. When we asked how can propafenone be aquirred, they said there are subsitutes, or try getting it from abroad. As for substitutes, amiodarone isn't helping my mom get back into synus rhytm, and that's the one they're using nowadays for cardioversion through medications.

16. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

The way your country handles the distribution of controlled medications may be different than the way ours handles it, hence the potential for it being illegal.

In the US, we can't just go to WalGreens and pick up any old medication we feel like popping.

17. David

David . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    he should talk to Nap he lives in Mexico you can get anything there. thats where i got my bull shark testosterone.

18. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Honestly, that's not a bad idea!

19. Razorclaw

NapJr, right?