I need an opinion about my honeymoon hotel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sideswipe1954, May 22, 2010.

1. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, as I have posted in my sales thread, and other threads when it calls for it, my honeymoon is 10/11-10/17 and we will be at Disney World. Now as most now, Disney is not cheap, so whenever you can score a deal, best jump on it.

Now I have posed this quandary to the Disney board I belong to as well, and they have their opinions, but I thought an outsider's opinion (non Disney) might work to my advantage.

Now, before we start, there are 3 sizes of hotels: Value, Moderate, and Deluxe.
    Currently, we are staying at one of the Moderate ones for our honeymoon with a king room. Today in the mail, we got a coupon for 35% off the rate of the Moderate, or 40% off the rate of the Deluxe.

However, when I call to apply the coupon to the room, I am told the allotment of "Coupon" King Rooms is already booked, and I can do a couple of different things:

1) Do not apply the discount, and either hope that a king will become available, or another similar discount will be gotten that can be applied to a king room

2) Accept the discount for that specific hotel, but "downgrade" to a standard room (2 double beds instead of one king) and save over $600!

3) Switch hotels to a DELUXE hotel, which without the coupon is more than what I am paying now, but after applying the discount, would save me $30 from my existing reservation, but a) be closer to the actual parks, and b) be a much more "swanky" hotel.

I am looking for suggestions, ideas, comments, anything to help me decide

Thx

2. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I'm all for saving money, so 2 seems fine to me. Push the beds together :lol 

3 is also good if you're willing to not spend over 600, but 600 can get you quite a few fancy dinners with your woman. If you're at Disneyworld and in Florida, you really shouldn't be spending lots of time in the hotel (unless you're getting busy.. and who cares about the quality of the hotel room if you're doing that?)

3. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    There are going to be a lot of very, VERY bad answers to this thread.

4. Sideswipe1954

News Credits:
    To help explain number wise a little better, currently the reservation is at $2400. If I go option two, it goes down to $1800. If I go with Option 3, then it goes to $2370

PS-the bedframes are attached to the wall.

As for quality, the values are just that, values, with no ceiling fan, sensor controlled A/C, etc. They are more for families with kids who will not be spending a lot of time in the room, but as you point out, it is our honeymoon, so to me we are talking a big difference in quality from value to the other two classes.

Why?

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

For the time being, it wouldn't hurt to go with Option 2 until -- hopefully -- a room with a king-size bed becomes available and you can change accommodations as necessary.

Considering that there's lots to do while at Walt Disney World, I doubt you two will be spending a lot of time in your room, so either a moderate or a deluxe resort will surely suffice, regardless if the room has a king size or two queen size beds. What matters most is that you two are going to have a good time.

My parents went to Walt Disney World for their wedding anniversary a couple years back, and I believe they got a room at Port Orleans Riverside -- which is a moderate resort, one which my family has stayed in throughout 4 family trips we took back when I was in school and thoroughly enjoy -- that had two queen size beds.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  6. Sideswipe1954

News Credits:
    That is just it, a "Standard room" in a Moderate has 2 double beds, not queen. Queens are not used until Deluxe resort standard rooms. We have a queen at the house, and because I am tall, it works well. Doubles are uncomfortable no matter what to me.

7. Lock Cade

*Facepalm*

Right... man, it's been ages since I've last been to WDW, that I forgot what the bed size is for a typical room at a moderate resort.

8. Sideswipe1954

News Credits:
    One would think at the price of some of the rooms, the sinks would flow with money, but I digress. For a 300 sq ft room, I think they are lucky to get 2 Doubles in a room. Last time we were there, we had a king and it seemed roomy, but we saw in some ones with Doubles, and it seemed cramp.

9. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ahhhhhhhh, go deluxe--you save $30, get a better room and are closer to the parks..sounds like a winner to me, but you have to decide if the $$$ is the issue or location..hopefully you'll only have the 1 honeymoon (at least with this woman!) so do it up right!!!:lol 

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    go deluxe man your honey moon is no time to go with a cheap room, save that for botcon :lol 

11. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Going with three on this one, man. Having been to Disneyland 3 times and World once, I can honestly say, that at the end of a hard day out in the sun, you'll be sweaty, cranky as hell and want to take a quick nap before hitting the diner. It's closer and due to the fact that you are tall, I see no other option.
    Just my 2 cents.

12. Sideswipe1954

News Credits:
    Well, we decided, and we went with Option 3. We changed the reservation from the Moderate with King, to a Deluxe with 2 Queen Beds and chose a view that with the Balcony, we can see the Castle at night and the fireworks, and we saved a little money in the process

13. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I was going to say go with option 3 anyway - better hotel, better room, closer to the park, and cheaper. What else do you want, the moon on a stick? :lol 

14. Lock Cade

Sounds great. A room with a view of Cinderella Castle... just perfect for honeymooners. :) 

15. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    awesome view , enjoy the honeymoon even if you never get out of the room :lol 

16. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I was going to suggest option 3, but you already made the right choice. Just remember at least one day that you shouldn't leave the room, that's what the point of a honeymoon is.

17. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Which 'Option 3' hotel did you get? I'm suspecting either the Polynesian resort or the Contemporary. Contemporary's OK, but the Polynesian is beautiful.

18. Sideswipe1954

News Credits:
    Actually, The Wilderness Lodge. With the Discount, it cost less than a king room at Port Orleans French Quarter where we were booked

19. Nightbirdy

Nightbirdy Robotic Ninja Warrior

News Credits:
    The Wilderness Lodge is definitely a good choice, they have a great view and a beautiful pool (sunset at the white sandy shores is so romantic). Have fun on your honeymoon! (I had my wedding at The Beach Club Resort.) :) 

20. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Whatever you do, get a big, wide bed. Don't push two twin/double mattresses together. It's your goddamn HONEYMOON, dude. You'll be spending a majority of your time there in that bed.