I need advice, would you sell your entire collection to get a new car?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by x0x_chrome_x0x, Apr 17, 2006.

1. x0x_chrome_x0x

x0x_chrome_x0x Chronical collector

Well, just like the title says, I need another car and Im looking into a possibility of selling of my collection, which would make for a very nice down payment. Im 21 years old, just transfered to a nice college, met alot of people and found a girl... 24 hours ago, this thought would never even cross my mind, but now... I dont know what to think. With the movie and everything else going on in trans world, I am so excited and proud to be a fan as I have ever been. Just recently I've learned not to care about what other people think of my hobby. With all this, however, alot of things are pushing me to go in a new direction (financial need is big). I feel horrible even entertaining a thought of selling my collection. I've been doing for so long that all my transformers are a part of me. Nevertheless, all those die-hard collectors whom parted ways with their collections in the past few months to get money for either new house, cars, etc., helped me realize that sometimes we have to do what we have to do.

So, all the emotions aside, would any of you guys who share my passion with me sell off your collection to buy a new car??? Would you sell if you were in the same situation?

2. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    Don't let outside factors such as a new relationship alter your collecting habits. That butterfly feeling often distorts everything around you ... your entire focus / passion becomes that sensation. You become a retard of love often living into the moment too much.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but that new love feeling fades and you return to normal. When you do, just know that you'll miss your entire collection and wish you never left it.

Make sure you're selling for the right reasons, don't let passion cloud your judgement, and do what's best for you.

dibs on everything [​IMG]

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    If push came to shove, I'd probably sell a good portion - or all - of my collection for something dire. I guess the important thing you have to ask yourself is this - how dire is owning the car?

As odd as this is going to sound, most car payments - I'm talking the $10,000-15,000 range - usually consist of a downpayment of at least $1000-4000 and then monthly payments afterwards. That's not too much, so long as you just save the cash consistently.

If you have a part-time job, buying a car isn't hard to do. If you DON'T have a part-time job, and school work would make that prohibitive, then yeah, you can always turn to your collection.

...but remember - once it's gone, it's gone.

4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I wouldn't sell even just a significant portion of it unless it became an absolute necessity. I wouldn't sell the entire collection for anything.

That said, this is entirely your own decision to make. Nobody can make it for you.

5. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

This is the reason I wouldn't sell mine... even though mine consists mostly of Cybertron and Energon (I got into the collecting game a little late)...

6. x0x_chrome_x0x

x0x_chrome_x0x Chronical collector

Financial need is my biggest problem at this time.
    I have a great part time job but school, transformers and all the other stuff are sucking my wallet dry each month. On top of all that, my current car is becoming less valuable day by day, so now is a good time to sell it. My heart is torn and it feels like im selling an arm or a leg.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    No. I'd buy a new car with new money. I won't be selling my Transformers collection. If my wife wants to do so after I die, I won't stop her.

8. M-Prime

M-Prime Banned

I definitely understand the overwhelming sentimentality we as collectors feel for our collections. I have been a collector for a loooong time, and have been a Transformers fan since I was 7 in 1984, but keep in mind, these are material possessions that have little to no intrinsic value in sustaining your life as a human being.

If you absolutely need a car, I would look into your options, with your collection being one of the last things to go. But as someone else mentioned, don't let some chickadee you just met and new friends sway your decision. These people will more than likely not be in your life in 5-7 years, so in the long run, they can go fuck themselves.

Maybe you can curb your collecting habits, and only buy pieces that really strike your fancy to scrape up a few extra dollars. I know from experience that it is a royal pain to work a full time job, and go to school, and have any kind of social life at the same time, but there are other options.

Would I sell my collection to buy a car? I did once. I had a crapload of G1 stuff (Galvatron, Metroplex, Trypticon, Sky Lynx, the list goes on and on, and it hurts to talk about it) , many with nice clean boxes that I sold in 1997 to pay the rent and buy groceries for my family. It sucked. But you know what? I got over it. And my family was housed and fed, so it wasn't all bad. I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had to. It's just a matter of determining if you really have to.

And any car you drive loses value day by day, so don't let that screw you up.

9. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    put your collecting on the shelf for now. Be selective towards the figures you buy, and gain the mentality that they'll still be there when you do have the money.

Becuase of eBay, the shelf life items have gone past their years. MISB Armada can easily be found. MISB RID can be easily found.

Being in college not too long ago, I can't imagine finding an "extra" $50 for a TFC 21. I can't imagine finding an "extra" $110 for Primus.

Enjoy your experience while you're there ... remember, life after college is all about spending your paychecks in the most stupid ways possible. Suffer for now, live within your means, love your beater car ... know that stuff will all go away when you graduate and start working.

10. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alright. Here's a married man with a child's perspective.

First off: How long have you been with this girl? Are you really in love or is this just the begining? You need to know that this girl is it for you if you're going to be looking into doing something like this, because what you're suggesting is a commitment. If she's the reason that you're buying a new car than you need to know that your relationship is going to last because if you sell your collection and she isn't the one you'll have lost something for nothing.

Second: Before selling your collection off, go car shopping first. Find out what kind of car you want and than see what kind of financing and down payment you would need for the kind of car that you want. Hell, if you have good credit (and being a college student you should have creditors handing you credit) you might not even need a down payment. Of course, if you go that route (no down payment) you will have a higher monthly payment as high as a $100 more a month. So you need to think about that too.

Finally: If you're looking into getting a new car I would suggest that you be working a part time job... or if you can swing it with college, a full time job that works around your school schedule. Because with the kind of stuff you're talking about you're going to need money and commitment and I don't care what kind of uber collection you have no Transformer collection can get you the money to make a down payment and than continue to make monthly payments and all the other things you're going to need if you are truly taking the step that you're refering to.

Now, if you've thought about all these things and you still feel that you need to sell your collection, I would say be selective about what you sell. There's no sense in selling all of it, becuase some of it just wouldn't fetch much to begin with. Maybe find some of your better pieces (that you might be able to get back later) and sell those so that you can get the money for the down payment quickly. But, seriously, don't sell off your entire collection, because women come and go (unless of course she most definently is the one), but you will never be able to get back everything that you have now if you make the wrong choice. And you'll wish you could.

11. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

It sounds to me like the best way to do things would be to sell any part of your collection that aren’t important to you, add that money what ever your making from your job and save up to buy a car.

12. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, if you're running low on money and collecting TFs is what's draining your wallet. I would simply pull back on what I buy and when. Try to be as selective as possible with what you buy and don't buy to be a completist... just buy the things that suit your fancy.

As far as your car, all cars loose value over time and you may be able to do a tade-in if that's what you're looking to do to get a new car.

Again, make sure that selling your collection off is going to be a final decision that you won't be able to take back. If you do decide that you must do this (as others have said) make sure you know that you have to.

13. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Try to find a cheap car that would be within a budget you can afford. I've been driving around an old cluncker for 3 years now after my last truck gave up the ghost. (to those who remember Big Red, from my Field Guide and Botcons, it had a good long life and lasted well beyond 265,000 miles.)

Your car's first and most important task is to get you from point A to Point B. How new or cool it looks should be the least of conserns. At age 21, an old beater is gonna get you a cheaper insurance rate and if you have an accident, you won't be out an expensive car you'd still be making payments on.

14. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

No. If you sell your collection for this, you are likely selling it for absolutely the wrong reasons. First, if finances are a factor, never buy a new car, buy a used car. The value of the car depreciates massively once you drive it off the lot. Buy a used car with low mileage if you're concerned about reliability of the new car.

Second, you should never be looking at your current car as "losing value" for a possible trade-in. If it hasn't already lost all of its value, you shouldn't be looking to replace it unless it's very unreliable and repairs promise to cost more than a new used car.

If finances are a factor, don't go selling your collection and old car because someone tells you it's a junker. Don't go looking to trade in because your old car has problems if you haven't gotten estimates for multiple sources and verified the cost effectiveness of repairs.

But don't take my word for it. Look up information online about how to buy a car and how to decide when to do so. Ask some finance major friends. Selling your collection is potentially an easy solution, but probably not worth it, because there are probably better ways to solve this problem that won't hurt so much.

Besides, if she loves you, she needs to love all of you, and not think your hobbies are expendable. There are almost always solutions that allow you to keep the things that make you happy. They just may require a lot of work in other ways.

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    depends on the car i guess.

16. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Indeed, only sell if you NEED the money and have no other way to get it. Otherwise, screw it. Keep your stuff.

17. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

I agree. At one point I thought I was going to be OUT of Transformers forever. I was so unimpressed by Armada that I decided to stop collecting. I threw out most of my RiD and a good bit of Beast Machines stuff, only really keeping my G1 stuff I had since I was a kid and a few select others.

Now, a few years later, I regret it and wish I had the stuff back.

With cars, I've found the best thing to do is beat the one you have into the ground, not trade it in, especially if you're operating on a budget. If your car has a few years of life left in it, use those years of life, because the trade in will be far less value than you could have gotten out of it from driving it.

If you DO need money for a car, the best thing you can do is just scale back on current Transformer collecting and save. You can always catch up later, like I did.

18. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hell No...

19. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    several years ago I was in-between jobs, and I HAD to get money to keep a roof over my head... to pay rent and electric and all that good stuff. I sold a decent portion of my collection. I am STILL regretting it! I've gotten back a nice bit of those I sold, but the ones I havn't are still haunting me. My advice.. work your ass off to find another way !

Andy

20. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you can "trust" your current car and it is paid for, keep it. An easy way to save up is if your insurance isn't a bill every month (say you make 3 monthly payments for each 6 months of policy) take the money that would normaly go for insurance and put it away. It won't hurt that much and it adds up quickly.

I wouldn't sell my collection for a car unless my current one died and I NEEDED to get another one.