I need a wireless network techincal wizard. (Wireless network issues))

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Recall, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I had issues with my internet so a new router was sent by my provider and ever since then I've been unable to connect my Xbox 360 wirelessly to my network. It's been 3 weeks of my trying different things. Can anyone help? I'll list all the details I can below and if the first comment is basically do a reset on the router, I'll mother fucking kill you and rape your corpse. No shit.
    • I have an official Xbox 360 network adaptor. It has always worked fine, and will easily pick up my neighbours unsecured network.
    • I am typing in both the correct WPA passphrase and SSID. I know this as it's exactly the same as what is set up for this very laptop. I have checked and double checked hundreds of times.
    • If I put my ethernet cable into my Xbox it finds Xbox live and will connect to it though my NAT is strict.
    • My router is in the same room as my Xbox and is a ZyXEL.
    • I used this very much regarded website Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model - PortForward.com to create a static IP on my laptop and open all the appropiate ports within the router. My wireless could still not be found by my Xbox live, and wired it made no difference to the NAT settings.
    • I have changed my security encryption WPA-PSK to WEP to see if that would make a difference. It did not.
    • I have entered the ISP, Subnet Mask, Gateway details manually on my Xbox 360 (Network settings, configure network) and still no joy.
    • My PS3 can find my wireless network with no hassle yet it too still displays as my network having a strict NAT.
    • I enabled UPNP on my router. No difference was made.
    • I disabled the router firewall. No different was made.
    • Things to note further: My internet on my laptops is super fucking slow, same with my PS3 making me think some additional setting somewhere is blocking some signal or the router just has a very, very tiny range.

Does anyone else have any further ideas for me to try?

Scouring the internet myself has made it clear that people feel buying new items or resetting hardware is the only way to fix something. They are wrong and fucking dumb, I need someone clever. Thank you.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Did you try asking the provider directly? They must have a clue how to configure it and probably get asked this a lot.

Also, here's a crappy video that may relate, he's opening specific ports in NAT:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Router make/model?

Did you check before hand that people weren't having problems with the XBL network adapter and this model?

Did you turn off all security just to make sure that router could be found at all?

Did you change the broadcast channel? The default signal may be on a higher traffic channel.

If you have a wireless N router, try setting to B/G only.

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    ZyXEL P-660HW-T1v3 (It is the same as T1v2, v3 is exclusive to my provider and is just a cosmetic difference)

I have checked online for compatibility issues between the wireless adaptor and my router model, and there is no evidence of it posted online. A few people say yes (this are the ones saying that WPA and WEP make a difference, hence my change), many others say there should be no issues.

I did turn all off all security. And my Xbox could not find my wireless network.

I didn't change the channel, I wasn't sure of the consequences of doing so.

My router is wireless G I believe. Thoguh I will need to go check.

When I connect to my router on my xbox after typing in the SSID and WPA passphrase, this is what I see. My network, though no bars, while other networks around me (neighbours etc) are found. When I click test, it says it cannot find my network. Yet my laptop is still connected to my internet so some network is obviously actually there.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I believe we had a dialog about this on the Facebook.
    I'm just as clueless now as I was then -and not the least bit happy about it.

6. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    It's shitty aint it.

My channel is currently set to 6.
    My escapulation is currently set to PPPoA
    I was unable to find where it stated if its an G/N/B etc router

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  7. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    It supports 802.11g.

8. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Check to make sure that it's set as a "router" and not simply as a wireless bridge. May be called "routing mode" or something. Not familiar with the brand, so not sure where that setting is hiding.

Also, I would set channel to 3 or 11 as those are fairly uncommon defaults on other routers, so less interference.

However, doing some looking, it seems you are not alone with the V3 model having issues with the 360. It may simply be that the this particular router and the adapter just aren't able to interface correctly. It happens, unfortunately. I say this because your PS3 and your laptop are both connecting to it.

9. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Way back when I was having a problem with my Wii finding my router, same room and everything. I tried moving router out of room, right next to Wii, and moving the Wii around. It took me all day for the Wii to magically find the router with the exact same info I had been entering all day.
    My guess is you just need to curse at it and threaten physical pain and it should start working.

Chuck

10. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know it might not be an option, but would you be able to buy a new modem/router yourself?
    If you're on a BT connection (through a phone line) then I'd suggest either one of the following:
    Netgear DGN1000 150Mbps Wireless-N Modem Router with BT Connection: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    Netgear Wireless-N 300 Router with DSL Modem: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    Second one is the one I have and it's great. Strong wireless signal (I can be sitting out in the car and still get a signal)
    Downside is you'd need to know the log in details for your ISP (but they should give you that and the router's setup should be able to get the settings)

Beyond that and the port forwarding, I'm out of suggestion. Sorry buddy :( 

11. Mixmaster

Mixmaster Contains nuts

News Credits:
    Try changing the channel, and start from channel 1, I've had the most success with that channel, at home and at work.