I need a new MP3 player. What would you all recommend?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Mumps, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

So... my current player just isn't doing it for me. The battery is failing, and the memory is starting to fail (don't ask...) I have the Sansa e280 (8GB)

What I want is an 8GB or preferably higher player. One with GOOD sound quality, and must have the ability to drag and drop my music. I don't want to fool around with Software.

Video is a plus, but not needed.

I was looking at the Creative Zen X-Fi, but... it isn't available in Canada! So.. that leaves that out. And people have told me on other forums to buy a player by Cowon. Now... I can't find a single place in Canada that sells these! So if anybody could help with that, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    I've got a Creative Zen Vision: M 30GB and I love it. It supports so many different kinds of files, both audio and video. Get it.

3. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I was a Creative guy for quite a while. Their stuff from a few years back was awesome. I honestly can't say how the current ones are, but I don't expect the quality has dropped. Creative is a solid company.

I've been a Microsoft Zune man for about 6 months now, and LOVE it. As much as I liked Creative's, Microsoft just blows it out of the water. I have the 80gb Zune 2, but they also have 8gb if you're looking for something smaller.

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    iPod Touch.

Best piece of tech I own.

5. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I recently went though a long process of finding a new one as well to replace my 8 year old Creative Jukebox player. Originally bought a Zune in mid-June as they looked good and had a very good price tag for what you got with it, and I really didn't like the iPod. However I was very disappointed with the Zune after a couple of days of fiddling and if you want to avoid software issues I would definitely avoid this. I also hated the navigation on it as well, touch pad was not great and using it to sift through a mountain of stuff on this thing made things very frustrating indeed.

Thankfully I traded it in and got myself the iPod touch instead and boy does this thing kick ass. Like RW said this is the best tech device I've ever owned and have even flirted with taking it one step again with the iPhone (though it wont happen with the crazy service plan thank you very much Ted Rogers :p ). Expensive yes but you know were that extra cash went to. Touch screen and the software (unlike the Zune) makes this thing very easy and friendly to use, and navigating through songs is much easier. Also unlike the Zune and any other device it's got built in Wi-Fi which is just instant win, with the ability to surf the net, full YouTube integration, and access to iTunes and a wide variety of other applications I mean the list goes on. Yes the iPod means that you'll have to use iTunes which I was also wary of at first but honestly it's not that bad and is something I can live with with.

But ya the Touch all the way, it's a a lot of money and it's probably more then what your looking for but this thing is too awesome and is really a long term investment that you'll love for years to come.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  6. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    I was in the same boat. I went from a Creative Jukebox to a gen 1 Zune to an 80 gig Zune 2. I have much love for the Zune.

7. Nocturn

Nocturn Doesn't really use TFW

iPod, man.

8. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    wasn't one of his stipulations NOT to be fucking around with software and want a simple drag and drop? Because last I checked, iPods needed to have their music loaded via iTunes.

That being said, I knew a guy who got a batch file that he just ran after dnd to his iPod shuffle. Made it think the songs had been loaded the right way.

I'd go for a creative too, good stuff there.

9. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

The Zune software's pretty straightforward. Just drag and drop what you want in the software, then drag and drop the stuff in the software to the little Zune icon, and on it goes.

10. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I would go with the iPod Touch for every reason SW.ca said. The app store has lots of free apps to play with if you're willing to pay $10 to get the app store itself. Youtube, Safari(which is pretty easy to navigate), notes, weather, and maps are pretty good apps that are standard on it. The music is easy to navigate and the video is pretty good(but not the best quality IMO) so it was a winner for me. But if the software is that big of a deal for you then go with a Zune or Creative player

11. Mumps

If I didn't have to use iTunes, I would buy an ipod right this second. But it was itunes that made me return my ipod nano to buy my Sansa.

I mean, I am convinced to buy an ipod touch, but I will NOT deal with itunes. It screws up so much, it's inconvenient, if I have to "sync" my player one more bloody time I will scream!
    All I want is drag and drop, and until ipod does this, Apple will not get my money.

12. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I drag and drop songs into the iPod Touch after I download them to iTunes with no problem.

Hell the iPod Touch allows you to download directly to the iPod through wireless so you don't even have to deal with a computer.

13. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, I have been using iTunes with my iPod for years now, no major problems. Just switch the sync to manual only, and you just drag and drop what you want on the player. Smooth and easy.

14. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

And if you get the Touch there's a free app(once you pay $10 for the app store) that lets you control your iTunes through Wi-Fi

15. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    QFT I have had mine for 3 days and love it. Got it on eBay for $190 used with free shipping.

16. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    and he don't really have to pay that. Interested? Pm me.

17. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Your assumptions are incorrect. iPod does not have to be coordinated with iTunes all of the time, save for software/firmware updates. I use ml_ipod with winamp and it's drag and drop with an interface. Actually even simple drag and drop is interfaced, even if it is to a folder and mlpod is a lot easier. iTunes is just too slow on my computer and I only rarely buy a song from them.

I spent countless dollars avoiding iPods for the past few years and finally caved in and bought an 80gb classic and I absolutely love it paired with my super bose headphones. I would have gotten the touch, but my music collection is way too big for that...iPod FTW!!!

18. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

This. The biggest plus for me about this is you just drag and drop files as if it were an external hard drive.

19. Mumps

Well, I am somewhat convinced to buy the Touch.
    I am now torn between that or the Creative Zen.
    The Zen is more affordable. But the Touch has all those nice fancy features!

20. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    newer models of the touch come with 2.0! So you get the following items I feel are a HUGE plus:

Push Email
    Access to ITunes store on device
    weather
    great mobile web browser
    tons of cool free apps at the store
    ease of use
    sufficient amount of storage
    mobile music, movies, podcasts, and pictures.
    The accelerometer is awesome and being used perfectly in some of the free apps.

Take the plunge, the Touch is the way to go!