I need a new laptop, please help!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by star_ling, Dec 13, 2009.

1. star_ling

star_ling Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay so I recently got some loan money for school and they told me that I could use some to purchase a computer. Basically I still want to spend as little money as possible, like under 500 or so. I want it to play games decently. I'm not talking Crysis or anything, just games like Sims 3 and MAYBE Mass Effect 2. So with all your vast PC knowledge and not trying to get comission from me like store clerks, what do you recommend?

I'm not picky I'll take anything as long as:

It's not e-machines
    It has wifi
    bluetooth optional
    XP, Vista, or Windows 7
    No larger than 15'

2. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

For under 500 bucks gaming should not be a priority. Not too long ago The Crazy Collector had a similar problem here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/video...0-what-kind-laptop-do-you-have-recommend.html

so here is what you specify:
    Under 500
    Less than 15" screen size
    do you need a dvd drive?
    how do you feel about budget Celeron processors?

Using it for school and you need a DVD Drive, I would go with: Amazon.com: Toshiba Satellite L455-S5975 - C 900 / 2.2 GHz - RAM 2 GB - HDD 250 GB - DVD?RW (?R DL) / DVD-RAM - GMA 4500M - WLAN : 802.11b/g - Windows 7 Home Premium - 15.6" Widescreen TFT 1366 x 768 ( WXGA ) TruBrite - matte silver: Electronics

Don't need a DVD drive and don't mind the smaller screen, then Amazon.com: ASUS Eee PC 1005HA-PU1X-BK 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 10.5 Hour Battery Life: Electronics

Of course you can purchase a USB dvd for that one and it'll be nice and light.

3. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I am using it for school but nothing too big beyond word and the like, I wouldn't mind a DVD drive and at least 200GB hard drive. It doesn't have to be super fast just enough where I can do my work/play games with no real problem. The one you mentioned looks like it may get the job done, do you think it will be able to play Sims 3 ok? I have a 1GB RAM 180GB hard drive that plays Sims 2 and 5 expansion packs pretty well so it should.

Thanks for the reply though.

4. MoeSizzlac

Yeah it should handle sims. Windows 7 will only eat up about 6 or 700 MB's of Ram before all is said and done so that'll give you a decent amount to dedicate to everything else...the Celeron is the only problem...again...should be able to handle sims, but forget about games like COD2. You should also be able to use windows movie editor as well. Great gaming Laptops and Price have a direct relationship...the better the gaming machine...the higher the price unfortunately.

But let's face it. If the laptop is for school, you really need it to surf, make/edit documents, burn cd's and dvd's, and pass time. The toshiba will be reliable enough to get the job done but if you like to stray towards one brand over another, follow the stats of the toshiba computer link as well as the guidelines of the previous thread and you'll have no trouble picking out a nice laptop. Good luck and let me know which one you go with.

5. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would'nt get a ACER laptop. My brother-in-law bought one brand new at Walmart and it crashed a year later.

6. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    See I have a emachines so about anything should be an improvement. I know more about software than hardware so can you let me know if it would be possible to upgrade the processor on my own. Or is that it once you buy it. Again really appreciating the help.

7. MoeSizzlac

From what I know...you can't upgrade the processor chip. Hard drive, RAM, CD/DVD Rom Drive, and wireless internet I've been able to work with and upgrade. But processor is something I haven't been able to upgrade on a laptop yet. You'll be fine with a celeron though.

8. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Whats your price point because I can get you a SMOKIN GOOD DEAL from a website I know of. These folks are awesome and open 24hrs a day to call any time. They have some smokin hot laptop deals right know.

9. MoeSizzlac

500 it is.

10. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I saw another laptop in a Radio Shack circular for about 459 or so, it has a 4GB RAM, 320 GB HD, and a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor with Win 7. It sounds like a pretty good machine to me for a little more money. How those the brand and Processor sound to you, as I have never dealt with Acer before.

If it is good enough, I may mosey myself on to RS and pick this baby up.

11. MoeSizzlac

It's an Acer - about a 1 in 4 fail rate at 3 years. That's the only downside...otherwise I would pounce on that laptop especially with the AMD Athlon.

This is how CNET rates the processors:
    [​IMG]

12. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So what would you recommend as far as that? Buy an extended warranty perhaps, would it be worth it?

13. MoeSizzlac

It's a strong computer no doubt about it...and chances are you have a 75% likelihood that your laptop will last more than 3 years. Those are pretty good odds...but after reading this Fail rates of laptops and having a mostly positive experience with my toshiba's and dells, I would lean towards a toshiba, Dell or Asus. See if you can find a Toshiba with what the ACER comes with. Also, read the reviews of that laptop either at CNET or Amazon.com and see how that Acer stacks up.

Just quickly looking around...this is close to what you are looking at right? Read the reviews there and you'll probably have a good experience with this computer. there is also the Intel Core 2 duo one here. I'm not going to lie...I like the second one more...but either will get the job done and then some.

14. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

I'm gonna give you some advice you'll appreciate later in life: DON'T SPEND LOAN MONEY.

Save it, or better yet tell them to keep it and subtract it off your principal. That $500 laptop is going to cost you like 4 times that by the time you finish paying off your loans.

15. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Those do seem like they would work fine, the reason I was leaning toward the other one is that I found out Walmart was selling it for $100 cheaper. Like a month ago and I predict it may be on sell later for that much. If it doesn't come back on sale I will go ahead and purchase one of those from Bestbuy. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know about my final decision.

The thing is I do have enough Financial Aid to cover my current classes, I just got the loan to help with the cost of books, all of which I buy used second hand. The total loan is less than 5 grand and I wont have to start paying it off til two years from now, even then I will be given a 6 month grace period and allowed to defer for an additional 6 months for up to 10 years. Add to that the government is paying my interest until I graduate and when I do have to start paying it off I will only have to $44 dollars a month. My plan is to apply for as many grants/scholarships as possible to pay off what I spend until I get a job, which I am currently looking for. I have always hated the idea of loans so I am trying to be pretty safe with this money. Thank you for the concern though, I appreciate it.