I need a game like Fable...but not Fable..

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by UltraMarknus, Jun 22, 2010.

1. UltraMarknus

UltraMarknus Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for me. I REALLY enjoy the Fable games for XBOX. Just wondering if there are any similar games for PS3?

Thanks!!!

2. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    It's a bit of a stretch as this has more RPG touches but both share lots of common elements, have you tried Dragon Age: Origins? It's a tremendous game.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Elder's Scroll: Oblivion. In a lot of ways, it delivered on what Fable was promised to deliver (especially Fable 1)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  4. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Dragon Age and Oblivion are much more complex than Fable. If you want something with a similar art style and gameplay, you might check out the Overlord series.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thart's the beauty of Oblivion, though. It's as simple or complex as you make it. You can go straight through the story and hit the waypoints set for you, or you can dig deeper and explore all the extra things the game has to offer.

6. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Yeah, but the learning curve for the gameplay mechanics is pretty steep in both Oblivion and DA. You can get stuck with a pretty terrible character if you don't know what you're doing.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The difficulty slider makes even the most horrendous character Superman, heheh. It is definitely a deeper game than Fable (Fable being more like a Zelda/Oblivion Hybrid), but it's worth trying.

Dragon Age would definitely be more complex, in that you have to manage more than your own character at times.

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Oblivion was a rare experience, it felt like experienceing 3D forthe first time all over again.
    Like Mario 64 kind of. As soon as I stepped outside for the first time, the story was the last thing on my mind. Started running up random hills and shit lol, watching the towns get smaller. Almost felt like someone might see me.
    Spent alot of time checking out just the wildlife & plantlife...one of the only times Ive felt like I was actually there.

Then the inventory happened :lol , I had no idea wtf my items were, should I keep the musgroom caps or drop the deer befrodisms?
    Deep game for sure

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The great thing is that you could ignore all this. I spend most of my time shooting things with my bow and finding random caves and sneaking up on their residents.

I do remember loving the exploration though. I'm glad Fable 2 ditched the Zoned levels in favor of a more overworld scenario.

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I would recommend Darksiders. I've been playing it recently and have been really pleasently surprised. It does pull from games like Devil May Cry and Zelda, but it does it well. It has a great fantasy/apocolyptic setting, and the combat and inventory system works great with most things able to be mapped to the controller for quick access. The story is about as light as a standard zelda, and there's no towns like in Fable, but it's still an action RPG.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh shit, that's right. Darksiders is supposed to be a big person Zelda. I still need to try that game. Stupid Transformers and their game being good.

12. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I don't agree with that. I made a character with random stats and I completed the game completely pretty easily.

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Another vote for Oblivion. It's as deep or as simple as you want it to be.

14. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I have been borrowing from a co-worker for months and kept putting it off until last weekend. I was really surprised how much fun I'm having with it, but alas, I'm picking up WFC tonight, so it's gonna have to wait a litte longer to be beaten(I have priorities, you know). In a lot of ways, Darksiders is how I wish Zelda had progressed in the control department, instead of using the same basic interface since Ocarina.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's on discount now, so it will make for a good rainy day game. But for now, I am in the WFC boat. In a lot of ways, it WFC will be saving me money... except for buying two copies.

16. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    You want Fable on PS3? I'd vote for Overlord.

17. UltraMarknus

UltraMarknus Well-Known Member

some great suggestions...keep them coming!

I've been eyeing Folklore for a while...anyone have any insights into it??

18. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I played it a little- very odd story and some interesting mechanics. The actual gameplay though, to me, was pretty stiff. Overall though It doesn't really compete with the behemoth of Oblivion, or Darksiders as I mentioned before. Also, totally different setting, but for a good combination of action and role playing, Fallout 3 is incredible, and to be a bit more accessible then Oblivion.

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Darksiders was a blast, even better if you like achievements. There's some wicked ass bosses in that game, some unforgettable.

Red Faction Guerrilla was fun , even more if you like destroying shit.
    Also had a blast with Far Cry 2, the Africa setting felt too real.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  20. kraven

kraven Decepticon

Dude, Fable is one of my favorite game of all time! And let me tell you, I had the EXACT same question as you when I got my PS3 and sadly there really is nothing that fills my craving for a game like Fable. However it did lead to me playing Dragon age and Oblivion, both are totally awesome games but I still think I liked Fable more.