I must be the only one who thinks Peter Cullen's acting is not great?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by siniquezu, Feb 19, 2011.

1. siniquezu

siniquezu Well-Known Member

I don't really enjoy his acting skills too much on the TFers Prime show. He doesn't have a lot of emotions. It's hard to relate to him. I understand that he is G1 but it wasn't that great. Just my 2 cents. bring on the flame suit.

2. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's getting better. He was really wooden when the series started out, but his performance is softening as the series goes on.

3. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I guess it would be quite hard to add emotions to a voice you're doing. Try doing a voice of a character (anybody) and then try adding emotions too it. I struggled!

4. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I do like that man's voice, but it doesn't seem fitting to someone like Optimus. It never has, and probably never will.

5. siniquezu

siniquezu Well-Known Member

It wouldn't hurt for him to make a joke either.

6. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

I've said it when the series started, but i would have prefer'd a Optimus Primal-ish voice maybe a bit deeper to suit how big prime is, But Cullens voice sounds too old for prime, they should have made prime a bit shorter, a bit bulkier and more of a compact head, and given him Primal's Mouthplate Mustache Beard combo to make it work

7. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    I think he adds an unneeded sense of "epicness" to all of his lines. I liked his G1 Prime voice much better, he wasn't as serious. So far, my favorite line is telling Raf he'll bring him a snowball.

8. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Cullen's always done a great job as Optimus in the past. We know Cullen can be the best damn Optimus on Earth - he's proven he has the capacity. He's not being given the opportunity to do so, however. Almost every scene with Optimus has been very bland, and therefore Cullen has nothing to work with. The way the script has gone, it's proof that the writers will set up a moment for Optimus where Cullen will kick some ass in acting. He kicked ass when Optimus climbed up the cliff to Megatron, and in Scrapheap in his "final moments" with Arcee.

For now, Cullen has no real script to perform great on. It's up to the writers if we want to see Cullen do great.

9. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    I love Peter Cullen's Prime!!! It's not wrong for you to dislike it. Everyone has thier weird opinions here and there when it comes to voices.

I can't stand David Kaye's (Beast Wars) Megatron. I think it's the combination of horrible acting and a not so evil voice that gets me. I just don't think it fits the character. However I love him as Animated Prime. From what I gather a large amount of people really dig Beast Megatron's voice. I just don't. That's my unique little opinion.

10. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yea optimus prime has barely had any actual screen time in this series so far, even the skyquake episode, Bee did most of the action.

I think once they give him more to do, he'll start to develop more.

i for one, love that he's returned, he is a great voice actor, their just has not been much development of the character so far, it's been focused mainly on the three kids and their bots.

and when he has had actual screen time, like his battle with megatron, i thought it was amazing!

11. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

*sigh*...I know it shouldn't, but every time I see this come up, it always brings me down.

Everyone has there own opinion, but I honestly can't and never will agree with this. Maybe I'm biased, but I really don't see any problem with Peter Culen's portrayal of Optimus Prime. He is Optimus Prime to me. Anyone else is just a substitute, or a different character altogether.

This is the weirdest thing I have ever seen any TF fan ever say.

12. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Mr. Cullen is like finely aged wine. His flavour has been enhanced over time. Many have acquired a taste for him, others are learning to.

I'll admit that in the "Darkness Rising" mini-series, his performance generally did seem a bit stiff and forced to me, save for some lines here and there ("You will not prevail, Megatron. Not while energon still flows through my veins!" - Undeniably badass!). But in the eps after, I think he has been warming up a bit more and getting comfortable again back in a regular role as his signature voice. I think he'll continue to settle better into the role of the new Optimus Prime with each new ep. I imagine he's working very hard to give the fans what they want from Prime behind his microphone. And I'm still more than glad to welcome him back to a regular Transformers series again.

13. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude inimitable, original

News Credits:
    TFP OP is slowly gaining more and more personality, but people are correct in saying both Cullen's performance and Cullen's character have been rather bland thus far. I have the utmost confidence that, when the situation arises, Cullen will bring it.

14. Faded-Myth

Faded-Myth Oddbot

I think Mr. Cullen's doing just perfectly.

The thing with Prime is that he's not the most bounciest or emotionally animated of characters. I think it would detract from his life experiences if he behaved more jovially. But he's shown he has an ability for humor, and I'm sure we'll see more of that. For now though, he and his comrades are in a tough situation, and he's got a lot of responsibility resting on his shoulders to keep everyone safe. So for me, Cullen's even, occasionally somber tone fits the role perfectly. Just like it always has.

I'm not saying anyone's wrong though. If you don't like his acting, then you're welcome to that perspective. I just don't share it at all.

15. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

While not too crazy about Peter Cullen, I can put up with it. I would've preferred Gary Chalk though. Interesting that you should say this regarding David Kaye. I LOVED his voicing of Megatron for the Beast Wars/Machine series, but HATED it for the Energon/Armada/Cybertron series. The character became too campy IMO.

16. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think Peter Cullen's doing a fantastic job with TFP. To me, he'll always be teh 'real" Optimus Prime, no matter the series. however, I do wish he would go back to the John Wayne type voice he did in G1.

17. darkunor

darkunor Banned

Peter Cullen was, is and will forever be the one and only Optimus Prime the same way Kevin Conroy is to batman, but there's no denying there is a certain 'umph' missing in his voice that was ever present in the good ol' days of G1, it almost seems as if he's trying too hard to turn on the magic in TF Prime! You can't really blame him, he's been voicing the character for over 25 years, a decline was surely inevitable, he might not hit the notes like he did in G1 but he is still by far the best voice actor ever to grace and capture the essence and qualities of the character, Optimus Prime!

18. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I'll be honest with you, I think G1 Ultra Magnus and G1 Optimus Prime should have each others' voices.

19. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :trolls: 

20. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

That's weird. I mean it is your opinion...But I think it's weird.