I miss when instructions were..you know, useful

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, Jun 16, 2007.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I don't like using instructions (at least not my first time transforming something, or if I'm stuck).

Seriously, Hasbro REALLY needs to rethink how they do instructions. The pictures are (for the most part) pretty useless...I mean, why not give some actual instructions so you at least know what you're doing?

Meh..just a semi-rant since a couple of my recent movie transformers gave me a bit of trouble and instructions didn't help. Funny thing is, no problems with leader Prime..at all (well, maybe one little thing but whatever >_>)

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I miss them, too. I would point fingers at someone, but that would be political.

3. theone74

theone74 Banned

I agree. These are almost impossible to understand.

4. chaosbringer_00

chaosbringer_00 I am indescribable.

I agree. While I've yet to come across a set of instructions that I haven't been able to figure out eventually, I must admit that Hasbro has chosen a rather poor way to do instructions. Some written instructions to go with the pictures would be nice, along with some pictures of the actual toy instead of black outlines. Failing that, some sort of online video guide on the official website would be nice. I can't imagine it would be terribly expensive to have someone transform the toy in front of a camera and then put the video on the site.

5. nuropa

nuropa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    youtube - video instructions

6. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the few times I have used them they have been rather useless for me too, they should make like little videos you could wach online of someone transforming that transformer.

7. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I havent had a instruction actually fail to tell me how to transform properly but I have seen them miss certain things that are supposed to be a feature yet is clearly missing (Mvie Jazz's combined gun and shield for one).

8. Acidophilus

Acidophilus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most of the time it's more fun to transform them without the instuctions anyway.

9. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh how I miss the days of the '84 line when the instructions were COLOR pictures of the actual toy being transformed.

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    True, as I said I at least attempt the first transformation without the instructions..but in the case of either:
    1) Getting stuck on something
    2) Wanting to make sure everything is correct

I'd like to think the instructions would help.

11. theone74

theone74 Banned

It is crazy for them to think that kids can follow these.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    its a bit sad and funny that following a lot of movie figure's instructions (and a few non-movie, like alt. ravage v2) will result in you breaking your figure.

13. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I usually transform them without hte instructions. I usually only check the instructions afterward to make sure 'm not missong somehting. However, I did check movie Ironhide's instructions to see how they said to fold the backpack up.

That was real usefull.

I don't find the instructions difficult to understand, I just wish they'd stop leaving entire segments of the transformation out.

14. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    *Pffft* Instructions are for quitters.

15. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I miss those days...sigh...the movie instructions are so terrible that I almost tore that up...especially Megatron's and Ironhide's. I can see kids get frustrated trying ti transform them.

16. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Heck yeah.

So If I look at instructions, that's when I am really stuck. Then those instructions don't help at all :mad 

Takara has better instructions with the actual explanations and highlighting the bits they are talking about.
    Though for this movie line they are using the same ones as Hasbro, and some Japanese fans who have come across Hasbro instructions for the first time were surprised at their "unhelpfulness".

17. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    So how do Japanese fans get around the problem? Is there a forum or something to discuss such problems?

18. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As far as I know there're no forums of this style in Japan (might be in Mixy, but I can't go there :( )
    When one's in doubt, they just post their Q in Bulletin Boards in various websites and normally there's someone with an answer.
    Invincible Robot Laboratory used to have one and I saw lots of toy related questions there, but it's closed now.

19. tarheels

tarheels Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just love it how they miss steps. Like everyone is suppose to know that you go from point A to B then to Point E and you go WFT. They never said to move those out of the way or to flip those. I think a 10 year old could do better.

20. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    You know, dude...all this screw-ups with the instructions by Hasbro (which is unfortunate) will definately have some form of negative impact. For example, the Japanese fans will have a poor impression and kids in the other countries such as US etc wil be extremely frustrated.

I do hope that some hasbro reps visit TF board and get some feedback first and prevent this from happening again!