i mean michael bay said it not me

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Bryan, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    he have already admitted That he hated ROTF, During interviews when eh says he wil ltry to make DOTM Better

3. Cliff_prime

Cliff_prime Banned

We already know that

4. Kurai Prime

Kurai Prime Well-Known Member

Is it me or is do you think gOLDbug will be returning in this movie due to another BB repaint?

5. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Funny it took him this long to finally watch his own movie...

6. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i have hope for 3 now...finally I wanst crazy!

7. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well that's what happends when you take part in making a bad movie, you blame it on everyone else and cover your own ass.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He wasn't blaming it on the writers. He was blaming on the strike. Two different things. The events surrounding it. He still admitted that making a movie under those conditions was a bad choice... as in, his bad choice.

9. trex5000

trex5000 Autobot

Ebay:
    meh, i enjoyed ROTF

10. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    SHHH! So did I, but it is much cooler around here to completely hate it. You wanna be cool and fit in don't you?

11. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

Not that I'd noticed. I can't stand the movie, but I'd say that the overwhelming response from these boards was resoundingly positive. Which depresses me as I think it's an example of poor filmmaking on almost every level...

Either way I think Mr Bay is trying to have his cake and eat it with these comments. He wasn't quite so sanguine about the critics when the film was released and pulling in the billions. But now that the film has somewhat cemented its reputation in popular culture as a terrible but extremely financially rewarding mess and he has another Transformers sequel coming out? Oh yeah that last one was baaaaad! Come see this new one though! It's gonna be much better!

The constant moaning about the writers strike is getting old too. Robert Orci and co might not have been taking as many script meetings at Paramount as usual but nothing about the strike stopped them from sitting at home and sketching down story ideas for a film that would have their names on the title cards. It seems obvious that the film was built around action sequences designed long before the script had a place in which to put them - something which a director should be fighting against not blithely indulging.

12. Barricade24

Barricade24 Decepticop Artist

News Credits:
    Well I am glad he admitted it.

13. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    Technically, they couldn't. If the Union determined they wrote anything during the strike - even so much as a scribble on a napkin - they could be heavily fined or, worse, kicked out of the Union. As producers on Star Trek, they had to be on set several times during filming but couldn't even make suggestions about dialog to the actors because it could be potentially construed by the Union as writing during the strike.

As for Bay blithely indulging action sequences without a script, you either stop production and wait for the strike to end - potentially putting hundreds of people out of work and grinding production to a halt - or you keep things going to work out designs, action sequences, gags, etc. It's not at all the best approach from a story standpoint but it's the right one from a business standpoint.

14. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    This.

And even through those conditions the film still did alright. I'll still consider the beginning at Shanghai a success, althought more could have been added, it was still amazing to watch.

And let's not forget the Soundwave intro... maan that was great.

15. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

'Technically' my backside. The Union would find it almost impossible to prove if and when scriptwriting happened and certainly have no jurisdiction over either of the authors investing in some old fashioned thinking time. This is the great advantage of being a singular writer (as opposed to part of a large team as is so often the case in US TV) is that the work is a largely private occupation. The various draft stages would obviously require production meetings to push forward, but even then there needs to be something more than 3 page synopsis for anything like true production to begin. You do not hire construction labour, pre-viz techs, location managers and stunt teams until you have a script that tells you what, where and how these things will occur (or you cannot cost them). According to Michael Bay, Revenge of The Fallen didn't have half a script it had no script when it went into production - and yet he and the studio persisted in trying to build a film out of thin air. I think it's frankly silly to be blaming the writers strike when quite obviously production had begun without anything like a proper shooting script to begin with.

16. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    This is at least the third interview where he says pretty much the exact same thing. "Second movie was crap, writers' strike is to blame, third movie will be better".

Also, the headline gets it wrong. Bay doesn't say the movie is crap in its entirety. The "crap" remark refers to the circumstances of the movie's development.

17. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Meh, saying you enjoyed it isn't a crime. There were some fun and well done moments in there.

Claiming that it was a genuinely good movie though? Yeah. That will get negative attention.

18. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If anyone of you wathed the second disk of rotf you can see during the prodution process he hated what he saw.

He also Hated Megatron's claw arm. but the Constructacles and the twins were his idea

19. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    And I have no idea if they did or did not do scribble notes. I never said they didn't, but the union regulations prevented them from doing anything with those notes until after the strike had ended, at which point the production had already kicked into high gear, for all intents and purposes making the existence of such notes fairly useless. They couldn't share them with Bay, or Spielberg, or anyone at the production offices lest that fact got back to the union heads. If they wanted to take that chance, that was their prerogative, but it seems like they didn't want to indulge that particular risk.

Either way you slice it, the writers strike was a MAJOR contributing factor to the production and eventual quality of ROTF. The ONLY factor? No. Bay's directorial choices certainly didn't help.

20. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    ^What he said. Even if Orci/Kurtzman/Krueger thought of new ideas during the strike, they were prohibited from sharing them with Bay, and by the time they could, way too many things were set in stone and unable to be altered to accommodate any changes.