I may have to get a new computer

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Eric, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Emphasis on may.

I've been noticing recently that my laptop's screen tends to flicker, like a light bulb starting to run out of power. When the flickering gets worse, the whole screen just shuts off, but everything else runs okay. The first time the screen went off, I just assumed that maybe I should put it to sleep, and then get it out of sleep mode. Well, it worked...the first time. Then the next time this happened (just a few moments ago), the screen turned off, and when I tried to do the sleep mode trick, it didn't work. So I had to turn off my computer, turn it back on, and then a corner of it started to dim. So then I decided to use the brightness feature to see if that would stop the problem. It did...and then it started to grow darker. :(  Thankfully all my stuff is on my external hard drive, but not my bookmarks (I have a lot of them), so I had to spend the next 10 minutes copying and pasting my screen, each with different folders showing the sites that I go to (lots of 'em), and the screen was just getting all messed up, getting dimmer on the left side of the screen, with a little bit of brightness at the very edge. Thankfully I got what I could get into pictures and put them on the hard drive. Then I undimmed the screen, and now the screen's fine. My brother and father deduce that it's the video card probably starting to fry.

Crap.

So, yeah, I may have to get a new computer, since the one I have right now is about to go bye-bye (or maybe the screen flickering, dimming, and just plain shutting off is a sign of a ghost, who knows). This really sucks because I still use a Nintendo Wi-Fi adaptor for my DS, and my parents don't have wireless Internet. I have a few questions for anyone who knows a bit about computers, since I may buy a Mac:

-Can a Nintendo Wi-Fi adaptor work on a Mac?
    -Can Macs play games really well? I plan on getting Steam (if the damn service would let me REGISTER :banghead: ), and I really want to play Team Fortress 2.
    -Can Sony Vegas work on a Mac?
    -What about torrents and VLC Player?
    -As well as Paint Shop Pro 9? (Though I may switch to GIMP or Photoshop, anyway)

2. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    1. I found multiple sources that say it can't.
    2. Yes, Mine's decent and plays TF2 quite well. I can also run the Battlefield 3 Alpha on it (getting about 40fps) and it's been said that BF3 is a high-end game.
    3. I don't think so.
    4. Yes, uTorrent (for example) works and so does VLC Player.
    5. I don't know, but I would go with Photoshop if you can.

3. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sounds like the inverter is going bad. It's actually a simple fix, if you can find the instructions online. The part's usually pretty affordable on eBay, depending on the brand. Around $12-20.

It could also be the ribbon cable that attaches to the motherboard. If it's worn out, or cracked, or even just loose, it can cause these problems.

The video card/chipset has nothing to do with the backlight of the panel. Even if the screen would completely die out, the guts of the PC will continue to function and run properly. You could always plug in a LCD monitor and use it as a desktop. There's still plenty of life left in it, even if it loses it's portability.

If there are drivers, the Wi-Fi adapter should work.

Macs should be able to play games well. They have a rather nice hardware feature set. Usually a higher powered Dual Core Intel processor and Nvidia graphics chipset. Usually a midrange Nvidia chipset, around 512 MB. (Which is pretty impressive. Although, if you buy a tower, you can put an actual video card in it.) Steam does work on Mac and most, if not all, of Valve's games (the masterminds behind Steam and it's content) can be played on a Mac. The Left 4 Dead franchise and Portal both come to mind.

Sony Vegas will work on a Mac if you use Windows XP (or above) in Boot Camp. (Basically, a dual boot system) Macs have their own video editing software. I don't know if it's included or an extra cost, but they do offer it.

Torrents, VLC and Paint Shop Pro 9 will also work in Windows under Boot Camp. I don't know if they have any direct Mac installations for those programs. You can Google to know for sure.

However, before you jump ship from PC and go for a Mac, you should really weigh out the pros and cons. Because you're going to pay a pretty price for a medium to well powered machine, when you could get nearly the same specs (and well above) for a lot less in a PC.

If you can afford it and you want a Mac, period. Then go for it. If it's a matter of "I'm sick of PCs and Macs are better", then I have to tell you it's not the dream you think it is. Whatever label you slap on it, it's a computer. Plain and simple.

4. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    ^ I disagree, the Mac and OSX is the dream I thought it was. :)  The trackpad alone is worth it's weight in gold.

5. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, like I said:
    But the trackpad, is still just a piece of hardware and isn't enough of a selling point. It's just a matter of time before something like that is made for PC, if it hasn't been already.

I'm not an Apple hater, btw. I think it's overpriced and underpowered, but it is reliable and pretty much virus resistant. I can't deny their strong points, they're just not enough to sway me to buy.