Customs: I"m probably in the few on this...

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by MrMurder, Mar 21, 2008.

1. MrMurder

MrMurder Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    let it die

Attached Files:

2. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

:eek: 
    :thumbdown 
    :Gouki: 
    :puke: 

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I like seeing the alternator customs and while there are a lot that are similar because of obviouse custom choices, I am always seeing new and very innovative ways of creating characters from those molds. For that, I could never get tired of seeing Alternator repaints.

4. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :throw  LOL J/K

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    hehe funny you mention, I'm working on 2 commissions right now like this. but - trying to take a 'different' spin on the result.

6. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

Hey, I'm really not into alts myself... But I don't scream it out loud...
    We all have our own preferences...Lets respect that... And don't forget that
    for most of us, it's a hobby.
    That said, I can still be amazed by an alt. custom by the idea, it's execution and the paint job.

7. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    1) I'm not pissed by your post.

2) Art is art. Everything is open to interpretation (with different techniques and different artists).

3) It's been done, yes. But did JOE BLOW do it yet? If not, let HIM have a go, if he decides he fucking wants one.

4) You did a mod on Grimlock that had been done before. Should be now bitch about the fact that it had "been done" when you first posted it?

5) It's a fucking toy. We buy them. We play with them. We paint them. We 'bash them. If you don't like it, please avoid clicking the link. :) 

No offense or anything, man. But why does anyone do ANYTHING? BECAUSE THEY WANT TO. I hate people who complain and whine more than seeing multiple repaints or kitbashes of a kids toy.

8. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

the art depends on the artest not the media he/she maybe using. i am new and i have already noticed people do not respond to your work unless it is something different.

i like attention for my work and it is hard to come up with original ideas. my latest creation that i will be posting soon was inspired by 3 different average posts.

so in short even if it is a rehash maybe there is a small detail on it you never thought of before and so when you collect all the info BOOM something fresh.

sounds like you may be getting bored with your craft and may need to move on to some thing that rekindles your passion. it has happened to me several times with model building now i do transformers as a result and probably be building transformers for the next 5-10 years. follow your zen and everything else follows.

9. dak

dak <b><font color=blue>I am DAK! The customizer!</fon

News Credits:
    I'm alright with seeing different takes on the same thing. For myself, I prefer to be different and create something that others are not doing.

10. MrMurder

Ebay:
    it would appear to me that quite a few of you ARE in fact "pissed" that i posted this.
    did i not express that i know it is peoples' art and they are entitled to post it if they feel so inclined to do so? i believe i did. and i truly feel that whoever creates a custom (of any kind) has full right to show it off.
    my opinion may have been a bit harsh with the "been beaten to death" comment, but it is in fact my opinion. originality is a hard thing to come by these days - i myself have thought i had a great idea and get to work only to find that it's already been done. does that mean i shouldn't do it? well, that's for me to decide now isn't it?
    now i have just been attacked and called out on a custom i previously did, but that was unnecessary, because i attacked no one. i simply stated that I was bored with alternators/binaltechs, and wished to know if anyone felt the same way as me.
    this is not to say that i don't come across some that really peak my interest and make me say "hey, i really like that." but for the most part they all seem to run together. mind you, you don't have to listen to a word i say - in fact - DON'T! do your customs, it is the right of all sentient beings to modify and customize (sorry, had to get a little cheesy there), but please if you're going to reply, read what i had previously said... and don't just fly off the handle and attack me

11. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

I agree with this...I have more than a few customs I want to do that have been done before, and I hope people here will take a look (working on a Ptitvite Cosmos special as we speak!). In addition I am not an ALT collector, but I do view most of the customs to get ideas and see variants in customs to use for myself. We are a happy community.

12. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MrMurder, I agree with you. But I do see why it's (Alts/BTs) a popular medium to kitbash and repaint. It's arguably one of the most popular line for older collectors like ourselves. As for something being done to death...well I think people want there own version and feel the need to make one for themselves because Hasbro didn't produce one or don't want to pay ridiculous price to buy the custom. I think the same can be said about Movie customs. Realistic paintjobs seem to be the flavor of the month for a certain time period so we saw alot of those types of customs. That being said, if I see a custom that has been done before then I either don't click on the thread or maybe skim the thread to see if there is anything new inside. I love seeing fresh and new ideas (as I'm sure many do). These sentiments are not meant to discourage any one from making a custom that's been done before. Please, everyone continue to show your artistic side. But I think it's a fair topic for discussion.

13. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

It's sad your from AZ, Mr. Murder. Not all of us here are so close minded. It's not necessarily the piece that is painted, but the painting and other work that goes into it. That goes for Nemesis Primes (which we have all seen a thousand of), Alts, Classic Thundercrackers are anything else.

I know that every time I see a piece, whether it's been done before or not, I can learn something from it. It's about the work that goes into it.

By the way...when are you going to post a repainted piece? They say those who can't, criticize. But your right, you have a right to your opinion and to voice it as such. I just wish it was more positive.

You must go to ASU. :dunce  Hope I didn't offend.

14. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Why is this still open?

I wasn't attacking you or your custom. I was simply stating that the same could be said of your custom you did. People will always do what they like. You did what you wanted, so why are YOU picking on those that may want to either copy someone else's idea or work for their own collection? These are kids toys, we are collectors. Some people enjoy doing Alternators/Binal Tech figures because they are larger and easier to work with and re-shell. I know it's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but you come off like a jerk for saying the things you've said.

I have nothing against you or your custom. I just don't understand how you can be against these customs that people choose to do. Yes, some gets repetitive, but as an artist, it's still great to see everyone's interpretation of it. They want to show their work as much as anyone else. Should they be punished or criticized because they didn't post it first? Or because they posted it for the 20th time? ART IS ART. I don't care if I see 20 different takes on Devastator or 10 different takes on Cybertron Fortress Maximus.......in the end, it's all good work and it's great to see how everyone decided to go about doing it. You just seem like you hate seeing the same things over and over again. I'm not pissed at all with any of this because it doesn't involve me. I just think you aren't giving everyone a fair shot by lumping them into some category of "been there, done that".

As for the remarks about Arizona.......the same could be said of ANY state. So don't think Arizona is some hotbead of disease and filth. Come to Northwest Florida right now and you'll see idiots who can't drive. That's not just an Arizona problem. Anywhere you go, you will see this, for the record.

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Actually... I TOTALLY agree with you.

Your opening post sort of sums up what my internal voice is saying when I see more Alt kitbashes. However, I do also realize that even if I'm bored with Alt customs, obviously there are a lot of other people who are (mysteriously) not bored with them... so I glance at them and walk on, and my internal voice stays internal.

I like Alternators, and I have tremendous respect for the skills of those who customize them. But to give you some affirmation on your initial question... I too feel your indifference to Alt customs. To be honest, I have to admit it's kind of refreshing to know I'm not the only one who feels that way. :) 

On Arizona, however, I have no opinion.

:)  though I live in Montreal, so I know a$$hole drivers, and people who don't signal should probably be publicly beheaded...

zmog

16. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry about throwing a rock at you before. LOL In all seriousness though everyone should be a little bit more grown up in their comments, an opinion is an opinion, nothing more. I have stated before my distaste for alts before(though not to the extent of opening a new thread just to state such). Really though to me I hardly ever look at Alt customs just because I don't like them, if something piques my interest then sure but usually not. Hell I am working on a Alt commission as we speak. LOL Oh and for the record, come to California(LA County) if you want to see some really shitty driving.

17. MrMurder

Ebay:
    ok, now we're getting somewhere... a little closer anyways. there is a little discussion going on rather than just calling me "closed minded," which i resent by the way.

point is...
    i did not open this thread to bash or criticize. i can't express that enough. i am NOT at all against anyone's customs, as it was so bluntly put. i encourage people to express themselves. it's what art is all about. and of course there will be mimics and re-dos; imitation is after all the greatest form of flattery.
    perhaps i should have kept my mouth shut and kept it to myself, and maybe even it was just bad timing, but by no means did i intend to offend anyone. as previously stated, i do like alt/tech customs; i just made an assessment of the boards and thought they were rather abundant. and yes, i stick by it... i am rather bored with them - but that's just me

in no way, shape, or form do i say anything close to or even resembling a "stop doing what you like to do (alt/tech/movie/etc.etc.)" statement. i understand people will do what they love regardless of what some jackass like myself has to say about it. and that's totally fine

i just want those of you who have obviously not grasped what it was that i was trying to say to please go back and read carefully my words. i think there was a lot of jumping to conclusions going on

so when it comes down to it... i'm sorry. i meant no harm and certainly did not mean to have this ripped open as wide as it has gotten

18. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

LOL! I drive through LA to San Fran a few times a year. Crazy traffic! AZ has a some jacked up drivers too, but every state does. I vote for Las Vegas for worst traffic ever!

I like Alts cause they remind me of the G1 figures, with the rubber tires and real car semblance. They are challenging to repaint, too. However, I guess to each his own. It's hard to respect the opinion of someone when they have little or no background on the subject they are speaking of. Oh well, it's moot.

I disagree with you Mr. Murder, but it's not that big a deal. This is what conversations are for. I look forward to seeing some of your stuff online.

19. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    No harm, no foul. Sorry for spilling my opinion on all of it. I've just seen too many people make comments like "oh great, yet ANOTHER __________" and that type of stuff discourages newer artists from showing any of their work.

It's cool. It just seemed like you were coming off like one of these types of people (ones that don't give a chance to some who may do the same customs as others). Again, I apologize, man. I agree that we do see a lot of Alternators customs, but I disagree that they are boring and all. It's fun seeing others do similar things, with minor tweaks (or even straight up copies of another's work). I guess I just judge it from an artistic point of view (the way the pieces are done and captured).

20. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    OK. I'm only going to keep this thread open if people can keep their emotions in check here. I've deleted one post, and that's as many as I'm going to do, anything else comes up, this thread disappears.

That being said, The way you worded your posts, it doesn't matter if you "meant" not to offend anyone, it flat-out reads as hostile. You have to think before you finally hit the "submit" button, ok? Now, My thoughts on the topic of this thread are that maybe you ARE bored with Alt customs, or any other repetitive custom, but here's the thing: Someone comes along and makes a really kick-ass custom (what kind it is is irrelevant to my point). All these people see said custom, and think "man, that's so awesome, I want one!!" Anyone who's ever made a commission, or bought a commission knows they're expensive (it takes a lot of work, supplies, and time to make one). Add to that that most people in here ARE customizers/kitbashers, and that's the perfect recipe for repeated customs (its not only cheaper to do it yourself, but you then also get the satisfaction of having created something cool). Everyone here (unless working on a commission, of course) is making their projects for themselves, and not you.

I got tired of all the constant "I painted X movie toy with a dry brush and/or a wash!" threads over the summer, but did I go and bitch about it? NO, because those guys weren't making them for ME. If that's what they want to make, that's their perogative. I'm not saying its not ok to criticize, but around here We expect people to be polite, and well-mannered, and respectful of others. In other words, Instead of saying "your custom is boring" its MUCH better to say "You did a nice job, but might I suggest you try doing ___, to spice it up a bit? I believe that would make it much better." this is called "Constructive" criticism, and that's always A-Ok.