I love Gail Simone (Birds of Prey spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Switchblade, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    So the latest Birds of Prey came out this week. Not my favorite book that I read. One that I occasionally wonder why I bother with, to be honest. This week's issue is the start of a crossover with Simone's major hit, the Secret Six. That alone is worth the price of admission. But the end of this issue put that completely out of mind. On the last page, the Birds steal a suit of Rocket Red armor, open it up, and find formerly deceased JLI member Ice alive and well.

Ice is back! :music 

I am indescribably happy with this development. Ice was one of the sweetest, most likable characters in the DC universe, and her death was a disastrous idea that even the guy who wrote it realizes was a mistake. Bringing her back (even after 13 years) is a great move on DC's part, and Gail Simone has earned my lasting devotion for facilitating it. And between this and Booster Gold's new series, it looks like the "JLI curse" is officially over.

The coolest part (for me, at least)? I've been reading the entire run of Justice League, from day one to the latest issue. Just Tuesday I read the Judgment Day crossover where Ice died. The very next day she came back. Wonderful bit of irony. :lol 

2. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yet more proof that death in comics is just a revolving door... a god damn revolving door...

I hope when Captain America comes back, he kicks Iron Man's shiny metal ass...

3. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:

...you take comic books sort of seriously, huh?

4. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    No... Iron Man's just a dick, that's all...

I have a problem with the state of the "dead is dead" policy in comics, and suddenly I'm obsessed? Or is your real problem the fact that I hate Tony Stark? Yes, I SAW your posts in the other thread....

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i <3 ice

[​IMG]

6. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is one character I always wanted back. I never thought they'd bring her back though. I just hope it's really HER and she stays!

They need to kill Jason Todd again though.

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    to be honest, shes kinda boring actually. what made her endearing to me was the dynamics between her and fire and guy. shes one of those charcaters that need to bounce off others to bring out her best. no pun intended.

8. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Eh. nothing personal against Ice, but I hate when they bring anyone back from the dead.....

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    She may or may not be back. They do things like this all the time. She showed up for 2 issues of "I can't believe it's not the Justice League" a couple years ago. But then was dead again.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    but in that ish she was still dead. she was just being used to bait fire/guy.

11. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Okay, this is what I mean - Tony Stark is a fictional CHARACTER in a comic book, and to get so worked up over it is......

There's one thing saying, "Yeah, you know, he's a really well written villain, and I think that's really great for Marvel to make him into such an intense bad guy." There's another thing with acting like he did something personally to you, which it sort of seems like he did.

It's just literature.

12. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Judging from the interview Simone has up at Newsarama, this is completely legit.

And I agree with KA in that Ice isn't all that great on her own. She'd never hold down a solo title, and I doubt anyone would ever offer her one. She's very much an ensemble character, perfect for team books like JLI. She's a very sweet, caring person who provides a great contrast to the more traditional superheroes who like to go out and bust heads.

If I had to guess where she'll end up, I wouldn't be surprised if Simone keeps her in Birds of Prey. That would work for me, as she'd be a good foil for Huntress (violent and a bit of a slut) and Barda (violent and a bit more violent, with a touch of violent piled on top).

Mostly, though, I really, really, really can't wait for her reunion with Fire. That is going to be a beautiful moment. And following that, her reunion with Guy ($10 says the ultra macho GL starts crying the moment he sees her).

13. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How is she alive? :eek: 

Either way, WOO!

14. Ted Kord

Ted Kord Well-Known Member

That was out of continuity.

On a Gail Simone note, read Welcome To Tranquility. It's several kinds of awesome!

15. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

While I'm not a big fan of bringing the dead back to life here, I DO want to see what happens when Fire and Gardner find out about it.

16. Switchblade

News Credits:
    They haven't said yet. She was a last page surprise reveal/cliffhanger.

17. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'm betting the Russians had her all along or something. Maybe Superboy Prime hit the dimensional wall and brought her back into it that way?

18. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Wait was it really Tora or was Lesbian Ice from later in the JLA run? WHy was she in a Rocket Red suit?

19. Switchblade

News Credits:
    It's Tora. Lesbian Ice is floating in a medical tank after a supervillain stole her skin. Recent issue of JSA Classified.

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    lesbian ice? sounds like a cocktail.