I like big bots and I cannot lie

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Takeshi357, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

I have noticed a trend on myself that I really don't go for the smaller TFs. In fact, I think I have only like one scout-sized Transformer in my entire collection, the Micromaster reissues excluded. Probably 1/3 of all my TFs are at least eight inches tall. What gives?

Well I suppose the explanation is simply that I prefer owning a few big figures than a lot of small ones. Although the better explanation would be that the prices (especially for the Japanese reissues, which are what I like to collect) climb up over time no matter what, so it's more affordable to buy the big 'uns as they come out rather than wait for the prices to go up and keep the smaller ones on hold - only thing is, I end up never getting the small ones because they disappear from the shelves by the time I get there and THEIR prices go further up than I'm willing to pay for the smaller size classes.

2. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    I like small figures. They are great for filling in spaces on the shelves between the big'uns.

3. AMG

AMG Old School

I like them both, but a big bot is definitely more of an eye catcher.

4. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm an equal opportunity collector. If it's there, it's mine :ev: 

5. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I find myself more interested in Deluxes and smaller - Cheaper in value, and don't take up much space. But I own two Alternators, and the only thing bigger than that is Armada Unicron.

6. Buzzer-Bot

Buzzer-Bot Kamikaze

I have to collect small figure now because I'm running out of space!

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like any good figure, but the Voyagers, Deluxes and smaller usually get more attention from me, mainly because the larger a figure is, the more work and effort goes into simply handling the thing. You ain't gonna smuggle a large TF to the doctor's office in your pocket to fiddle with in the waiting room, that's for sure. :) 

Then again, I like TFA leader Bulkhead more than Voyager Bulkhead.

8. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like all sizes of Transformers but most of my collection is Micromasters and Minicons. The smaller bots have more playability with the bases and vehicles like G1 Metroplex and Armada Unicron

I can definately see the positive side of having larger, more detailed TFs but the smaller ones are just more appealing to me.

9. Crazymadman

Crazymadman Dewbot leader

i like all of the sizes, but am more in to what look more g1

10. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    I'm with you on this, (partly for the Sir Mix-a-lot-esqe thread title ;)  ) The larger, more detailed, more articulated and more complex the toy is, the better, for me. And as it's only rarely that there is a TF that has all that going for it, that works financially too. Being fussy about it - MP Grimlock may be my only definite purchase next year, unless the Leader class Movie toys suddenly become show-accurate - does mean I really dig the 'bots I have got too... and also means that I can consider "exceptions", like the Alternity toys, because I'm not otherwise budgeting for the run-of-the-mill TFs.

Bigger isn't always better. But with Japanese robots, it is :) 

11. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Loving the title of this thread! :D 

12. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like the smaller toys, but there's just something about getting a Leader Class or bigger 'bot that absolutely thrills me. That big Cybertron Starscream was my first must-have f the Cybertron line. I just got Leader Ultra Magnus, and am having a hard time putting him on my Animated shelf, as he'll probably end up in the back and be less accessible. Big bots FTW!

13. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the big ones. Nothing can compare to the MP/Alts/Bts as far as size and detail. That is about all I collect these days. It doesn't get any better than a 12" Prime.

14. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I like toys sized in a manner that fits it's character, so I go mainly for deluxes and voyagers. I passed on Universe Silverbolt and Onslaught because they didn't look right as Ultras (though now I'm changing my mind on Silverbolt, but for other reasons), especially when they're supposed to be the central figures of combiners. Passed on Powerglide simply because I didn't like the toy, had he been a Deluxe I might have just gotten him for the sake of it.

I don't pick up Legends either, and Wheelie is likely going to be the first one I ever pick up. Don't really care for figures that small and simple unless they're Targetmasters or something.

15. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I collect them all, but I definitely do love the bigger bots! I even picked up that Supreme class Beast Machines Cheetor figure because he was just too big to pass up! He's currently in robot mode being supported by Cybertron Primus so that he doesn't fall, but he still looks great in the collection.

16. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

xsmall

I too do not collect the larger bots, Alts and the RID Ultra Magnus that was bought for me are the largest I have, the price point is a little of the issue, when I see the large bots online I am very interested in getting them.

But when I see them in the store, like animated Ultra Magnus which I have not seen since it looks less fantastic compared to the smaller bots, I know they have multiple points just as many as the smaller deluxe and scouts.

Deluxe Primal and 2 Megatron rex's were the only deluxes I bought from Cybertron, and did not really start getting deluxes/voyagers until classics prime and jetfire.

17. JazzEd

JazzEd Truckasaurus!

You what's cool about the smaller bots, is that you can pose the next to their bigger bots for scale.

18. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Well, personally I find that big bots take *less* space since small bots can't be stacked on top of each other and...uh...stuff!

19. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    I like big bots most of all, mainly Voyager then Ultras. I do have as many deluxes as voyagers, but that's because of the characters they are. I don't have a single scout or legend, as I prefer as much detail as I can get. Then again as much as I like the MP's its a little too big for me. Its all about finding a balance.

20. Starscream2008

Starscream2008 Megatron sucks!

Oh...Mah...Gawd....Becky, look at that 'bot!

It is sooooo big!!

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie
    The rest of the fanboys can't deny
    When Hasbro walks in with a big plastic waste
    And "Supreme Class" in your face
    Your Wallet's Sprung!

So they say Energon Prime's fat...
    Well I ain't down with that!
    Cause he can combine with a bunch of stuff
    To make a bigger 'bot who's mean and tough!

You can put out legends and scouts,
    But please don't stop the leaders
    'Cause they are big and bad and mean,
    and I'm thinkin' my pocketbook's cleaned...

Kibble in the middle but it's 12 inches tall...
    Kibble in the middle but it's 12 inches tall...