I like Battlestar Galactica and Firefly...what else is there?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Autobot X, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

My wife and I, not having cable, have been getting Battlestar Galactica through Netflix. Now we only have two discs left to watch before we have to wait for season 5 to come out.

What else is there that would appeal to the Battlestar Galactica and Firefly fans that we are? We have to keep busy while waiting for the last season of Battlestar.

2. Spoon

Spoon Banned

First off, this should be in Movies and Television.

Secondly, Doctor Who. Duh. :D 

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

If you like NBSG in the sense that its a well written drama for serious viewers, then The Sopranos and The Wire.

If you like it in the sense that its about shooting space ships and has a running plot, then Babylon 5 and Deep Space 9.

If both, watch all four.

4. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    If you want to get some comedy with more than a hint of space travelling sci fi goodness, try Red Dwarf.

5. RabidYak

Second this, Dwarf is awsome and about the only SF show I can think of thats got anything in common with Firefly.

6. Autobot X

Ack...fell victim to myriad unnecessary subforums and subsubforums again.

Thanks for the advice, all.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The reboot, though, which started in '02 or '03. I love y'all British folks for loving it, but the originals lack a lot of appeal without the nostalgia bonus.

Check check.

Special emphasis on "The Wire." This is, without a doubt, the single greatest piece of television ever produced. I'm rewatching it now with a friend (buddy got me the boxed set as a graduation gift), and I'm more convinced than ever of that fact. It's simply extraordinary in every way.

8. RabidYak

I coulden't recommend New Who based on his criteria, its pretty much the complete opposite of Battlestar and its humor is almost entirely dervied from it being a family frienedly pantomime rather then it having witty and sarcastic writing like Firefly.

Actually I woulden't really recommend most of it anyway unless your looking for something to watch with kids or have seen everything else worth watching.

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Im giving that 'Breaking Bad' a try, not bad so far. But damn they aired the preview so much.
    The dvd set's out , but it'll probably get aired like mad

10. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I'd be remiss if I didn't add Chuck to this list. It may not be sci fi action and drama like BSG, Firefly and all the others, but it's a really fun spy show with a lot of geek cred (Adam Baldwin from Firefly is in it). It's really funny too. It's currently my third favorite show on right now, behind BSG and The Office.

11. Autobot X

I kind of liked Chuck, but couldn't really get into it. I saw it before I saw Firefly. So, when I saw Firefly, the only frame of reference I had was, "Hey, it's that guy from Chuck."

I never get to see many TV shows while they're on TV. The only shows I make time for are LOST and (sadly, I know) Survivor. I hesitate to get into TV shows because many times the ones I like are the ones that get canceled. I just don't want to make a commitment and get into something only to have it canceled.

I loved Firefly. Like, a lot. No...you fail to understand...A LOT. It was mostly the quirkiness of it, the comedy. The sci-fi part of it made me turn towards Battlestar, though I knew going in that Battlestar wasn't a comedy. What I'm looking for now is precisely what I found with Firefly: something sci-fi and funny all at once. It doesn't have to be space. However, if I can't find that, I'll take another well-written sci-fi drama like Battlestar. Again, it doesn't have to be space. I just don't care much for shows that, for lack of a better way of putting it, seem like they could really happen. Hate CSI, didn't care for Sopranos, etc.

While cruising Netflix, I came up with a short list of the shows that seem like they may be okay. Let me know what you think of them. Which are worth it, which are overly cheesy, which are boring, and so on.

Dune
    Children of Dune
    Eureka
    Earth 2
    Sliders (I loved this one when it was on TV, but lost track of it somewhere along the way)
    Quantum Leap (same as Sliders)
    Heroes (We never got past the halfway point of the first episode...my wife was unhappy with the webcam stripper scene and totally freaked by that same lady, who had the weird mirror reflection power thingie. The missus has a thing about independently active reflections. :rolleyes: )

12. RabidYak

Red Dwarf and Futurama then if your after SF and comedy in one hit.

The first series of Heroes is decent despite being woefully unoriginal if you read comics, but its all downhill after that.

The TV version of Dune is painful. People will defend it for being closer to the book then the Lynch movie, but allot of the cast are fucking awful and its obviously lacking the necessary budget. It also drops stuff from the book that it had time to cover to make room for a useless new Irulan subplot. Go read the book instead if you haven't already, its a SF masterpiece and it'll never have a satisfactory screen version.

Quantum Leap and Sliders are a safe bet if you already know you like them. Didn't go much on the latter personally, but I liked QL and some great stuff in there.

Can't comment on Earth 2 or Eureka.

13. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One of my favorites is Stargate SG1. If you liked the movie, give it a try.

14. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Fixed.

And if you like Firefly, really consider checking out Buffy and Angel (same creator). A lot of the quirkiness is there (though they don't have quite as much freedom due to the contemporary setting). Both spend about half a season establishing their formulas, and are decent for that, but then they get to color outside the box and have some real fun.

15. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Ehhh. If you liked Firefly, there's no substitute. You don't even have to like science fiction to like Firefly. True story.

I say give up on TV altogether. Ooooh. And I expect you've watched Serenity already. You can't finish Firefly without Serenity.

16. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

While not a scifi 24 is still a good show up till season 6. So far season 7 has been great.
    SG1 & Atlantis
    B5

17. Switch625

Agreed. Buffy and Angel (and Joss) made vampires cool way before any of that Twilight nonsense. And while you're at it, you might as well try out Joss' new show, Dollhouse, since I expect it to receive the Firefly treatment and get cancelled after a dozen episodes or so.

18. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree that DS9 would be a good show to watch. I actually went the reverse way going from DS9 being a favorite up until it ended to now watching BSG when it's on. Both have a similar feel to them in that both seem to have a lot of internal politics and many of the characters have flaws that make them more realistic or believable

19. Switch625

I appreciate DS9 a whole hell of a lot more now than I did when it was on. It was such a departure from TNG that I really didn't get into it. Now I think it's on par with TNG as the best Star Trek show.

20. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

SG-1
    SG Atlantis
    Babylon 5 (even though the effects are a little dated)
    DS-9

Now if you want Whedon-esqe dialogue... as others have stated.
    Buffy
    Angel

But in all honesty, nothing even comes close to Firefly and the BSG. But if you do want more Firefly there are some comics that Whedon wrote that fit seemlessly into the Firefly 'verse. Also there are alot of BSG comics that have come out. Some are good, some not so much. But they do give you alot of back story to the characters.