i know where the trailer goes...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jazz4ever, Jun 21, 2008.

1. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

i think it can just turn invisible and it is radio controlled by prime so he can use it whenever he wants to...or he stores it in another dimension

2. optimus major

optimus major Banned

News Credits:
    he stores it in subspace.....man it must be getting crowded in there....so many trailers that he just leaves behind when he changes forms

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    The trailer has a gambling problem. The minute Optimus lets it out of his sight its down at the track betting on the ponies. The reason Classics Prime doesn't have the trailer is because it's in group therapy.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Actually there's just ojne taht he takes out when he needs it. Sometime's it can't catch up to him right away. *remembers funny seen in G1 where Prime took off while his trailer was still trying to catch up*

Hehe.

5. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know where it goes!

Let's just say that when Prime is in robot mode he has "trouble" sitting down...

6. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

It's my theory that Op's trailer is dating Duncan MacLeod's katana. :wink:  Those Highlander swords spend a lot of lonely time in subspace too.

7. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I read a fic once where the author proposed that it sat beneath Teletraan 1 when not in use. But that is nowhere near as interesting as half the theories proposed so far.

8. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

The trailer is Prime's purse. When he goes into battle, or into the restroom, he has to ask someone to hold it for him. Usually it's Huffer, which is one reason that Huffer is so grumpy.

But man, are the Autobots glad to have it around when someone needs some Kleenex, or glasses cleaner, or the Autobot corporate checkbook.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Sub Space.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    He gives it money to go to the pictures.

11. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

It's made of Disappearium - an extremely rare element that's so rare, no one knows where it's from, and Prime's trailer is the largest object made from it.

When I watched Return of Optimus Prime Pt. 2, I ROFLed when I saw him transform and the trailer rolled up to him.

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Heh... as I recall, IDW did away with the trailer entirely (as did the 2007 movie). Though IDW did make a passing reference to "mass displacement" technology with regards to Megatron's alt mode, and how massive the energy drain is to use such a tool.

I know subspace is a fan explanation, but it's pretty weak. I mean, wouldn't the ability to store huge objects in a pocket dimension be a pretty wild magical power even by TF standards?

I will confess, Prime looks a bit naked in truck mode without the trailer though...

EDIT: I just remembered that Prime has his trailer in IDW... sometimes. He even used it when he first got to Earth. THAT doesn't happen very often. :) 

zmog

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's actually a very common element. It's just that everytime someone finds some it... disappears.

14. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

Oh-ho, two shay...

15. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    Prime's trailer is actually a TARDIS, and dematerialises into the time vortex when he doesn't need it, reappearing when he does.

16. EShadowP

EShadowP Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Waitaminute, how is dimensional-displacement of items that far fetched for a race of robots that keep getting themselves dimensionally and temporally displaced on a regular basis? At least Prime is managing to displace a mass that's one piece (unlike Soundwave and Megatron that displace their own mass while remaining structurally integrated.)

I'm just wondering how long it will be until we get "Crisis on Infinite Cybertrons" that attempts to reduce the number of Cybertrons to 52. One of those dimensions alone will probably consist entirely of trailers and Soundwave's extra mass (the phrase Soundwave-fat just popped into my head. :sly2:  )

17. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    To quote Futurama - "go see a saucy puppet show".

18. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Soundwave Fat" sounds like Hong Kong's newest action movie star...

19. Optimus Clyde

Optimus Clyde Space Trucker

News Credits:
    Heh... Don't tell me you've never read a comic book. DC (with Green Lantern's lantern) and Marvel (I can't think of any specific examples for some reason) get away with that stuff all the time. And no matter how ridiculous it would seem if introduced now, all it takes is a matter of time before some writer down the line figures out a truly scientific way to make it plausible...or to at least sound plausible.

Hear, hear... he said as he rapped his knuckles ostentatiously on the table.

When the TF movie came out last summer, I had people at work trying to tell me how unrealistic it was to run away to fight the Decepticons in a heavily populated city or how seemingly contrived it was that Arctic explorers just happened on Megatron. I told them exactly the same thing from behind my beaming fanboy smile. "Dude, if you don't like the movie that's fine. I can accept that. But if you're going to try to tear it down by applying logic to incidentals before tackling how "realistic" a bunch of sentient aliens in the midst of a millions-of-years-old civil war from outer space land on Earth that just happen to be giant robots who can disguise themselves as our technology, then you've already lost the argument."

20. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Well, again... those sorts of dimensional and temporal displacement stories, IMHO, are the cheapest kind of convoluted, nonsensical Sci-fi writing. I hate it.

TFs are already inherently super-science... which is why I think it's more appealing to bring them back down to nuts and bolts, oil and lubricant... stuff that brings them down to Earth, makes them seem relevant, instead of pushing them into nanotech, energon goo and dimensional displacement hoo-ha.

As for the mass-displacement thing... I didn't like mass-shifting when I was 10 years old, and I STILL don't like it. I only give Furman props for explaining that it is a "special" technology, that requires inherent modifications to a TF's design, and requires "vast amounts of energy". So in effect, he's taken something that has always been an awkward part of the canon, and covered it with some technobabble to make it seem rare, exotic and really inefficient, even by TF standards.

However, I also have to say I really resent the way that Furman has made things like cloaking camouflage, hard-light hologram projections, orbital bounce transporter beams and even built-in weaponry (as frequently seen on Ratchet) so commonplace that he's effectively robbed characters like Hound, Mirage, Skywarp (and others) of the unique appeal their specialized abilities gave them. :( 

Oh, they DO, do they? That kind of stuff is generally the worst part of comics... the slapdash vagaries that are dreamt up on the night before a deadline to explain somesuch stupidity, or utterly transparent plot devices to retcon things, or return changes made by the previous creative team back to status quo. That kind of nonsense is why mainstream comics suck, frankly.

Bear in mind, I LOVE comics... I'm a big Marvel Zombie from way back. But that doesn't mean that I give them a clean bill of health. Bad, inconsistent and stupid writing is still bad writing... especially when it's a weak pretense upon which to build a crassly commercial crossover event. Cosmic Final Annihilation Countdown to the Crisis of Civil Hulk War? No thanks. That stuff is 99% wanky, pandering, self-obsessed fanboy bullshit.

There are precious few writers in comics right now who can take that surreal, twisty, hyper-fantastical comic-book reality and play it off well... Grant Morrison comes to mind, though even he's not infallible (his current work on Batman is stretched pretty thin, I gotta say).

Ahem. Where did this soapbox come from? Sorry about that.... :) 

I ardently disagree. Your friends at work are right. When you're dealing with an inherently fantastical concept, your job as a writer is to compensate for those aspects by writing intelligently and plausibly in that context... and by NOT drawing attention to how incredibly stupid things are with nonsensical plot twists or eye-rollingly absurd leaps of logic.

The movie sucked, just to be clear. There's only so much crap you can hide behind a slick budget and nice special effects.

Again, "c'mon... it's just a sci-fi movie based on kids toys" is NOT an excuse... it's a challenge! A writer or director should rise to the challenge of making their material credible and meaningful, not attempt to slide by on the dollars of undiscriminating fanboys and their beaming, vacant smiles. :) 

That's the difference between being a true craftsman, and just being a hack.

So... um... where were we?

Oh yeah.... giving every Transformer free access to some personal pocket universe to store their gear and mass (and presumably spare batteries, keys and a change underwear) is a bad idea that tumbles down that slippery slope into a ravine of strained suspension of disbelief.

Or at least, that's my feeling on the matter. :) 

zmog