Heavy/Scratch: I know we're all tired of Devy, but here's my progress after starting 3 years ago...

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Mirage775, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Mirage775

Mirage775 Autobot

Ebay:
    After seeing F_R's Devastator on ebay 3 years ago, (and not being able to afford it), I started my search for all the bots, Unicron, Primus, all the connectors, etc. I studied F_R's Devy pics for a long time, got frustrated and got hung up on a few areas. I got the arms done back then and that was about it. Then, times got tough and I had to put the project on hold and just recently started working on him again last week. I've gotten almost all of it finished now, other than paint. Many thanks to all the help from Zac/SonOfNemes the most, as well as, MoeSizzlac and yourreflection! He's not completely combined yet, as I am finishing the lower leg area and still have to figure out how to get LEDs in his head. I plan to paint him like Zac's, in G1 colors, not glossy. This is my first bash and I welcome all the praise and criticism.

Attached Files:

2. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    looks good so far, glad to see you came back to it

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

You're not the only one. I started getting together the parts and pieces for a custom Dev about the time I joined the board, just about 3 years ago now. If anything, that time has helped me. I've changed the design, and parts used, for the custom since. And I think it'll come out all the better for it in the end.

There's nothing wrong with banging out a Devvy in a week or two, there's nothing wrong with taking years to complete it. Your time and effort will show in the end.

Good too see you've kept up with it this far, and it's looking good.

4. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

keep at it man. I started mine last march. I did all the mechanics in the weeks after... moved and started a new job. just finished the mechanics a few months ago and got it all primed... then my GF moved in with me and its sitting there waiting paint.

Keep going strong! we'll finish them eventually!

5. Mirage775

Mirage775 Autobot

Ebay:
    Thanks guys!

6. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Looking good there Jason!! I also wanted to give mine a flat coat and it was a really hard decision whether to do that or gloss him but just had to go with gloss in the end so it will be awesome to see yours with a flat look!

7. Mirage775

Mirage775 Autobot

Ebay:
    This one's for my little brother. He told me he wanted it sprayed in matte. I would rather have gloss, but I can do that on mine. I've almost gotten everything together now! I will try to post some more pics tonight.

8. Hellmutt

Hellmutt Well-Known Member

The thing that stood out to me is the guns on the side of the head, I forgot all about that on the G1 figure... COOL!

9. Mirage775

Mirage775 Autobot

Ebay:
    :D  I haven't seen anyone use that yet?

10. Scotscream

Scotscream Total-con

Ebay:
    good work buddy,just go for it

god iv made like 10 of these i think!yep it a big project but will get your skills down,if ya get stuck anywhere let me know and ill try help out,cheers

11. Mirage775

Mirage775 Autobot

Ebay:
    Thanks! Got it all together and forgot to reinforce the Neo-Shifters for MM and they snapped off! :dunce  No worries, fixed it and I'm letting everything set up overnight, so I don't eff up something else! I've added more pics of the rest of the work I've gotten done tonight.

Attached Files:

12. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Looking GOOD!

13. hater06

hater06 Well-Known Member

nice start bud! that scavenger arm is only supported by 1 neo shifter joint? how does it hold up while trying to pose it? also it looks like its an inch away from the body, any plans on covering that up or something?

14. Deonasis

Deonasis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Keep it up now and you might just inspire me :)  I have not finished 1 mod yet but I have 10 bots mid operation some started back in 2006. I should really finish one at least.

15. Mirage775

Mirage775 Autobot

Ebay:
    Thanks Zac!

Yep, only one on him. It's been like that for 3 years. I made the upper half like, yourreflections' Devy and that's how he had his. I might attempt to make something that's closer to Hook.

Cool! I finally have enough space to work on these things. They have been piling up for a while. I have 3 more combiners I wanna get done and several figures.

16. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    looking great mirage. truth be told, my 1st Devy took like 4 months, and it was the only project I worked on. I remember every step forward resulting in 3 steps backwards. Now, I could probably build one blindfolded. Painting...well, somehow I became slower painting...go figure.

17. Scotscream

Scotscream Total-con

Ebay:
    totally agree with every word of that man,lots of kinks to figure out and many ways of doing things and yeah the longer i paint the slower im getting haha not good really!

18. Mirage775

Mirage775 Autobot

Ebay:
    Thanks Mike! I may have to change out his chest shield though. It's porcelain and rather on the heavy side. If I knew how to make molds of it, I would... I left him standing this morning, while I ran errands and he was still standing when I got home, so that's a plus! Also, Mike, I found some of those LED's you were looking for at the Dollar Trees. Do you happen to need more?

19. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, resin molds are tricky like that. the original shield I've cast in resin, and it's heavy as heck.

someone re-up'd me on the LED lights, thanks!

20. Mirage775

Mirage775 Autobot

Ebay:
    I'm thinking about just using the one you had on yours. No prob on the LED's, they had at least 30 packs and I bought 5. Now, I just gotta figure how you go that set up in the SSS head?