I know its still early, but Transformers has still grossed more than Potter

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by seeker311, Jul 17, 2007.

1. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Box office mojo shows Transformers to have both domestic and foreign combine to about 370 Million dollars while Potter's total comes out to around 332 million. There is only an 8 day difference in their releases reported.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    if you want to compare them, only count TF's profits from as many days as the new HP movie has been out.

make no mistake. the new harry potter movie is going to kick transformers' ass.

3. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

Though I'm a fan of TFs and not Harry Potter, it's still kind of sad to see something well written with real depth of character and charm be beaten into submission by Explodofest 2000. It'd be like the G1 cartoon beating Beast Wars to an award for Most Solid Cartoon Plot.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    well, a lot of HP fans I know are lashing out at the new movie, and declaring most of it to be shit.

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    im cool with HP stealing mah TF thunder. i dont need the media to remind myself that i heart TFs. that is all.

6. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Yup. I find it doesn't add up to the previous movies, or the book it's based off of. The Prisoner of Azkaban had a lot of the story altered to fit the movie format but it still had the essence of the book on film. This movie managed to change everything, and not capture anything. It lost all the character development the book had,

But yeah, Harry's gonna Transformers ass but it's the first outing for the 'bots. Wait til they square off again in '09!

7. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I saw Harry Potter, and found it to be pretty good for what it is. I felt the movie and book is a set up for the last two books. Harry Potter will eventually beat Transformers, however TF will have a great box office return and sequels are most certainly coming. I forgive Harry Potter for not having the depth the book had, afterall the book is 870 pages and a script usually ends up around 100-140 pages. Books and movies are different entities and seldomly does the movie incorporate all that is in a book. Rabid HP fans want to see every page presented on the screen regardless of how long the movie will be.

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Harry Potter is almost certainly going to outdo Transformers at the box office when all is said and done, but let's put things in perspective. They're both going to end up somewhere in the top 40 ALL TIME domestically in the US, and top 50 all time worldwide. That's nothing to sneeze at in either movie's case.

9. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

TF had a better first 6 days than HP. Potter looks like it is dropping off faster as well. It may outdo TF worldwide, but right now I think it looks like TF will beat out HP in the U.S.

10. Thorns2010

Thorns2010 Well-Known Member

It took 15 days for Transfomers to reach $228 million in the US while it took Pirates 3 14 days to reach $228 millioin.

So I'd say Transformers has an outside chance of beating Pirates and being number 3 for the year so far behind Shrek and Spider-Man 3

I don't see Potter keeping the tickets sales this weekend with the 7th book being released on Friday night. People who are Potter fans will be going to get that and reading the book all weekend I would assume.

11. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

So far Transformers has beat out Indiana Jones 4, and Transformers 2 too!

12. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I don't need Transformers to be #1. Having it be a serious top contender is just fine for me.

13. Lateralus

Lateralus Well-Known Member

I wish more people here thought like you.

Tickets sales are as related to movie quality as cd sales are related to music quality.

14. Jimmyjimjim

Jimmyjimjim Well-Known Member

I'm a TF fan and all, but "Order of the Pheonix" was, IMHO a MUCH better movie, and ties for first with "Azkaban" as best Potter film to date.

15. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    agreed i was happy with the film i love that its a contender but what satisfaction i have gotten out of the film is all i wanted. So i can careless abotu HP and if it beats out Transformers just so it makes enough noise that we get a sequel

16. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I would be making this point myself had KD not beat me to it :3

17. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

someone needs to make a prime vs potter sig.

18. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Do you do anything other than bitch about how much you hate the new TF movie?

Having seen both films, I enjoyed them both.

19. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I enjoyed both films myself. I'm not sure which HP fans are disliking this film- most that I've talked to have a few nitpicky things, but think that they did a great job of turning an 800+ page book into a 2 1/2 hour movie. Most of the stuff left out was compensated for adequately, and I think a few things were actually handled better in the movie (especially Grawp).
    Transformers is a success no matter where it comes in for the year. I don't know if it'll beat Pirates 3 or HP, but I'm also not sure if there's anything else on the schedule that might beat it this year, unless Simpsons or Bourne does better than projected. Top 5 is fine with me.

-Tony!

20. JediAJ

JediAJ Well-Known Member

The new Potter film... The Half Blood Prince is set for release Next year... November 2008.

So if all goes to plan and Tranformers 2 is released in 2009, it will have a clear field... unless Warner pull off the other two films currently in Pre-production and set for a 2009 release: He Man and the Master of the Universe AND Thundercats.

If Transformers 2 goes up against them, it will be all out arse kicking war. And I'll be honest... I'm not sure who will win.

Unless they make He-Man as camp as hell and they put the pussys in development over drive and get them out next year as well.

We'll have to wait and see.

Oh... here are the links to the two films listed above:

For Thundercats:

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/794/794550p1.html

For He-Man:

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/791/791404p1.html

:(