I know a lot of you are going to disagree...

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Downshift-1307, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Downshift-1307

Downshift-1307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But I think that each class should only have ONE ability each.
    and if they should have more, make them available from any level, same goes for the weapons (minus what I said about there only being one).

Having such ridiculously powerful abilities like the Infiltrator's EMP bomb thing and the Soldier's Shield is an absolute joke as they are.
    But to make them ONLY available to high level and experienced players...?

Wow... Game Design Fail.

I know for a fact (After studying Game Design and Theory for the last 2-3 years) that the number one thing to ALWAYS keep when developing and creating a competitive game (player vs player) is to keep BALANCE.
    Meaning that each player must have equality and access to the same things to keep the game fair.
    It's like playing Chess with just Pawns, it's completely unfair.

I played my first few games of Fall of Cybertron a few minutes ago and I part of me just knew that this was going to happen, the "high tier" abilities were going to be much more useful/powerful and the number one skill that made me think was the Infiltrator's EMP grenade.
    Not only does it distort your ENTIRE view but it slows you down as well! Making escape impossible, it is in the entirety of the phrase, an "I Win Button".
    Now, this would not be as big as a problem besides the fact that it needed to be nerfed but it is only available upon reaching a certain level!

One player in the match DOMINATED the other team by just exploiting this ability, nothing more.
    After the match had finished, the whole team had left.
    This is very bad for a new game with new players. My studies on previous titles with online play with similar problems show that players who are bested by others purely because of their "earned" advantages are FAR more likely to ditch it rather than suffering through to get to the same level.

High Moon, this is NOT how you keep players involved and interested in your game. This is REALLY bad Game Design.

The Demo nailed the fairness of the abilities on that you KNEW what to expect upon facing a certain class of enemy. I had FAR more fun with the demo of FoC than I have so far with the full game as everything new I have encountered has left me scratching my head and wondering if they actually took notes from the Demo.

Now with the Infiltrator for example, if you get hit with the EMP you might as well as set the controller aside and wait to respawn.

I KNOW that HMS will not make the changes that I believe will make the MP much more enjoyable and I know a lot of you will more than likely disagree with me. (Mostly because you are at said level to use such abilities and enjoy racking up masses of kills and such).

Anyway, just felt like dusting off the old essay/thesis writing skills to put down my thoughts on why I was so disappointed on my experience of MP so far. (Which is a real shame because it is fantastic seeing my characters with the full customization along with everyone else's.)

At the end of the day... I just bloody hope the EMP bomb thing gets nerfed... yikes.

2. Driftveil

Driftveil You find me offensive

yeah I agree.

But just don't take my Scientist Sentry away (even though it's a prime example of an ''I almost win button") </3

3. The Constructicon

The Constructicon Yeah, I turn into a leg.

I do, I disagree.

This isn't Halo, the arcade shooter is on its way out. People don't want a fair playing field, they want to earn things and get stronger as they go. It was okay in WFC and it's fine in FoC, I've met players with higher level skills and they don't destroy me with their superior abilities. I just find a way around it and kill them, every class has a downfall and every ability has something you can do to counter it.

As far as newbies not liking having to level up to gain an advantage, Call of Duty has been doing it for years and that franchise is hot year round. It's chock full of newbs who LOVE coming back for more, it doesn't matter if you have a lame smg and that 10th prestige guy over there is mowing you down with the best gun and perks that make him nearly invincible. They soldier on and level up and get even with them, people dig it for some reason. If you hadn't noticed WFC mostly was basically Call of Duty with robots, the way scoring worked, the kill streaks, the classes and perks...

If anything I think each class needs one MORE ability. As for the EMP grenades, I've only been hit by them a couple times but when I was I managed to dodge, or roll behind some kind of cover to regain control and escape.

I'm one of the very few who seem to like the game as it is, I hate it when they keep taking every little piece of criticism seriously and nerf everything in the game for the sake of "balance". When I buy a game, I like it to be the same game I bought from day to day. Waking up and finding out that my favorite class is now watered down or my cool new color scheme is apparently too hard for kids to differentiate was removed grinds my gears.

Just balance it and leave it alone.

4. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    I have to disagree completely. It is nice to get rewarded for the time you put into the game and unlocking new, better, stronger abilities. If you get all your stuff out of the gate, where is the incentive to continue playing and leveling.

I have been able to get around the shield by keeping range and picking my moments to strike. If the shield goes up, back away and don't waste the ammo. They can't keep it up for long and if they drop it to attack once you back away, they can't bring it back up for a little while. The EMP grenade hasn't been a big issue either. You aren't blind, everything is just very distorted. I can still see, it's just very fuzzy. I have been able to survive almost every EMP I've been hit with. In fact, tonight I was able to kill the infiltrator that used the EMP while I was still under the effects of it on two different occasions.

5. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

EMP mine is a worthless gimmick, anyway. All it does is apply a Filter to the screen which I can still see much of what I need to see. Someone tried it on me this afternoon only to fall victim to my Geewunized Character and his riot cannon.

6. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    Okay, make everything available from the start, then what's the replay value?

Nothing is truly overpowered in this game, the only things that REALLY need to be nerfed are:
    *X18 Scrapmaker
    *Whirlwind
    I rarely get a kill JUST because of the EMP grenade. It's not common for me to get hit by the grenade, let alone killed by it.
    Even sentries are fooled by Cloak now.
    Whirlwind is basically a death sentence. Even with dash, I always get killed. When I see it coming, I know I'm like a bug on a windshield.
    The Scrapmaker usually takes me down in 2 seconds flat, regardless of my health.
    Also, the shield isn't really overpowered. I use it, and any shot from any direction except the DIRECT front of me damages me. And the shield goes down fast when under fire.
    Nothing is truly overpowered, even enemies under the affects of the heal beam aren't worth running away from.
    Cloak is only overpowered in that it's so easy to escape death with, which doesn't lose you anything when your target escapes, except the fear he'll come back and snipe you or something, but that's it.

7. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    And stopped reading there.

8. J2DK

J2DK Fan

I, too, hate that "fail" has replaced the noun "failure" on the internet and now in spoken word. I did read the post, though.

The EMP grenade is not as bad as it seems. You get used to it, really. I've killed a few Infiltrators while under the effects of their grenades. I've been killed once by someone I hit with a grenade, too. The grenades can be dodged, also. I love the shield, but really, I'm completely vulnerable to anyone not in front of me. Getting shot in the shield seems to still attach a mark from the orbital pistol, too. In my opinion, nothing is broken in this game. There is nothing on the level of Magma Frag Launcher against non Flak armored players, Warcry, or the killstreaks. If anything, MAYBE increase the spread on the Photon Burst Rifle hipfire.

9. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would agree that it's stupid game design. The higher you go the better you will be. The lack of weapon and ability upgrades at the start hinders players, no matter how slight. The better ability always seems to be for the higher up levels.

The good news is that it just takes a few games to get to level 10 with any class, giving you at least access to a few upgrades, a weapon, and both abilities.

No it 's not. Even Call of Duty is trying to fix itself from the rut of shitty gameplay creep design with each iteration much like FOC tried to do. People will catch on, and have caught on, to unbalanced design flaws. A game that is balanced competitively is a game that keeps its community around for a very long time. See Counter Strike, Team Fortress, Quake, Starcraft, etc. People don't want to play a game where xxxLEET_SNIPAS11223xxx will always kick their rear end using some exploit or overpowered ability. Then EVERYONE uses said ability and the game stagnates.

10. Flaming Matrix

Flaming Matrix Murder claw master

I disagree. You are a sitting duck when using the scrapmaker, and while it's hard to just run from whirlwind (as it should be, I don't want everybody outrunning my melee ability), if you jump onto something or transform and drive away, then you'll be fine (I know it's not as easy as it sounds, but it's possible).

Also, I do not find myself being easily killed by the abilities and weapons you have to unlock. It's really not that difficult, as everything has a counter.

11. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    As a person who cares a TON about competitive play, I can definitely say that EMP bomb is hardly broken, as well as Flak Shield.

Seriously, OP, seriously?

No matter how much you study, unless you actually play competitively, you have zero idea of the reality of what goes on. Play any Majors or compete in any big tourneys around the US for any kind of game? I know people who are extremely invested in fighting games and go to EVO and other big Majors around the US for fighting games, so I know what I'm talking about here.

There's a huge difference between an ability that is considered unbalanced and the lack of player skill. I faced a TON of EMP users and Flak users the past few days, and they don't kill me any better than someone else not using those abilities. The fact is that a lot of people don't know shit and can't play worth shit. They're just not experienced enough, or just plain bad at the game, and don't make the good calls. They're not unbeatable, and even if they are, you don't have to directly challenge them. What happened to evading and finding softer targets, or mobbing up on an enemy. As a Titan player, I haven't found a Flak Shield user or EMP user I couldn't deal with.

What do I think needs balancing? I think as a player, the Destroyer's Barrier is a bit too strong. I play conquest, and it REALLY has an impact on the game. Two or three Destroyers with Barrier is enough to stop a team dead, and there's nothing you can really do on them when you've got two Destroyers stuck between two Barriers. You have to walk through it to get to them, and that means getting hit by Riot Cannons and rocket launchers. I also have a bit of an issue with the Scientist Sentry that slows instead of shoot. That seems to me of a case of having your cake and eating it too. The Scientist's weakness is close range, and having a slow on a Sentry just makes it a bit too good. Basically, with all the mobility that's available to a Scientist even without double jump, I feel that an enemy getting in close should be a tough fight, but setting up the Slow Sentry makes close combat engagements trivial.

12. clonemanager

clonemanager Hunter

News Credits:
    I agreed . hMS should actually balance the highest kill player by himself in his own team for the immediate next rounds.

13. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    The Scrapmaker is so damn powerful that anyone who tries to take advantage of the slowness effect gets almost instantly gunned down. So many times, a Titan has been surrounded by my teammates, kills one off, I shoot at him, turns and guns me down in about 2 seconds.
    Every time you try to get close to a Titan and take him down with the stronger weapons, i.e. Scatter Blaster, melee, Thermo Rocket Cannon, he immediately turns on Whirlwind with Energon Absorbers and you're a pile of scrap.

Agreed on the second paragraph, though. It even seems as though each class's second ability is meant to counter its other. Hover can crash down over barriers, Shield I assume can deflect Whirlwind, EMP Grenade can decloak enemies, and Sentry can damage enemies under the effects of Heal Beam enough to make your fire as strong as if they weren't being healed.

14. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    I disagree though the leveling up abilities are powerful they have a weakness.

Sentry - Weak armour easy to destroy
    Shield - The enemy can not shoot while using it only melee
    Hoverslam - The player is basicly a sitting duck
    Emps - They are easy to dodge if you jump to the side