I kinda miss Lost.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Nevermore, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Hear me out.

I totally do not miss the lackluster final season, or the trainwreck that was the series finale.

I do miss the intrigue of earlier seasons, the surprise twists, the in-depth analysis, the feverish online discussions.

I think looking back, Lost became so huge it became too big for Damon and Carlton, and what they were viewing as just a "cool show" had became a pop cultural phenomenon unlike any other where viewers were expecting some giant super-awesome resolution, instead of a mediocre action finale (which would have probably made for a decent finale on any other show) and a metaphysical tearjerker write-off for all the main characters. I like that interpretation better than the alternative (i.e. Damon and Carlton deliberately playing a long con on their fans).

Looking back, I also don't like the rampant demystification of plot elements, mysteries, characters and groups that were at some point treated as the key to all the island's mysteries. Mind you, I don't think that it's bad to resolve mysteries, I just don't like when pretty much everything that's teased as super-mysterious ultimately turns out to be just another red herring that's insignificant in the long run, and every character who appears to know all the answers eventually turns out to be just another bumbling fool acting on blind faith.

A few years down the road, I might be interested in a Lost reboot. Dropping all the established characters, Dharma, Jacob and MIB and everything else and starting from scrap. Plane crashing on a mysterious island, a bunch of people survive, weird shit goes on. Flashbacks may or may not be used. But this time, please go the JMS route and come up with a master plan before you introduce convoluted mysteries that ultimately end up as a big pile of nothing.

Those of you who have watched Lost, how do you look back on the show? Those who were disappointed, when did your faith in the show collapse? In the finale? The Jacob flashback episode? When the island was moved? When time travel was introduced?

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I even miss the last season and awesome finale: especially after watching last week's Clone Wars, which paralleled the entire backstory from Lost.

I started watching Dexter, which is nothing like LOST, but has me hooked the way LOST did. It's going to be difficult to make lightning strike twice, but maybe somewhere down the line someone can make something that intriguing on TV again.

3. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

I miss Lost too...

I hope that in a few years, someone tries to continue the story.

The thing with the finale is that it left a lot of room to keep exploring the Lost Universe while not altering the ending of the show.

Bring back the Dharma Initiative, show how things changed with Hurley and Ben in charge. Show what happened to Sawyer, Kate, Claire, Miles, Lapidus, Richard once they got off the island.

Introduce new characters and make them the focus, with the original losties as recurring characters.

Not a sequel, or a reboot. Just a continuation of the story.

Darlton dont even have to be involved

4. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've only seen the 1st season. But I can sympathize. I miss The Sopranos :( 

5. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Me too. :(  I don't look forward to a new episode every week like I did when Lost was on. At least TF Prime will start airing new episodes.

And I wouldn't mind a reboot either. Maybe in comic book form? I think it could work.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    LOST just goes into the category of major TV shows.

MASH, Miami Vice, etc. Shows that EVERYONE watched.

7. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    There is no way they will ever do a reboot of that show.

You're probably missing it because this is the time of year when it starts up - the first time in 7 years we haven't had LOST in February.

One of these days I'll crack open the Blu-rays and go through it all again.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    I will vouch for nevermore. He REALLY likes lost.

:p 

9. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

So you could say......

/puts on glasses

You're LOST with out it.....

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

10. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Which episode was that?

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The one with the brother and sister who are trapped in a nexus. Dark brother is trying to escape the nexus and spread his evil, but his sister "and father" keeps him trapped there. Obi Wan, Anakin and Ashoka crash (or are drawn into) this planet, and Obi Wan is given a secret (hidden deep within a chasm) that can stop the dark man. Anakin is the Chosen one that can remain and keep balance after the "father" figure is gone.

12. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Funny, my wife just said, "I miss Lost" yesterday. :D 
    I look back on the whole thing quite fondly, and I even appreciate the final season & episode more now than I did originally.

I definitely miss it - it was one of the very, very few shows in recent television history that I really got into.

13. Nevermore

News Credits:
    What's funny is that I was ultimately a lot more satisfied with the resolution of Dollhouse. That was a show with a short run (two half-length seasons), a lackluster start, a rapid progress from "dull" to "awesome" and an awesome finale that tied up pretty much everything very well in the end.

I can totally live with Dollhouse being over, and I'd like to rewatch it every once in a while.

With Lost, the entire show is ultimately tainted by the ending.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The mainly pointless final season and disappointing and lacking ending put me right off. Still not decided if I'll ever bother picking up seasons five and six on disc. Maybe if they become really really cheap.
    Part of me would like something new done with the concept, but then I still have the bad taste of how it went out making me feel like I probably wouldn't invest in the new show like I originally did with Lost just to have my chain yanked at the end.
    I do miss Lost. But only seasons one to five. When I start to think about the final season it ripples back and taints the first five for me. Better just not to think about it.

15. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I wish every season of Lost was like season 1. It had the best music as well.

16. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I loved that show and I miss it as well. I was going through withdrawal when it was over. Thankfully I have all 6 seasons in one form or another, but yeah, I'm right there with ya.

17. Nevermore

News Credits:
    For a show that was supposedly about the characters first and foremost, there have been awfully long periods where the writers didn't really advance the characters at all. Like, say, most of season 5. Or most of season 6. You can't just have characters meandering around for several seasons with no clear direction, then suddenly give them a wrap-up towards the end and say "hey, it was always about the characters".

There's also this awful trend to downplay once "mysterious" plot elements as ultimately being awfully mundane. For example, a whole lot of intrigue surrounded the Dharma Initiative, and then season 5 finally put the focus on them and... all we got was people doing mundane day-to-day stuff.

In contrast, one of my favorite episodes in terms of wrapping up mysteries was "The Brig" from season 3. The one where Sawyer confronted and ultimately killed Locke's father. That episode had an excellent character confrontation (almost on theatrical levels - it was really just "two guys in a confined area talking until things escalate"), it brought several character-based arcs as well as a long-standing mystery to a very satisfying conclusion, and on top of that gave a lot of fans a very pleasant "I was right" moment.

The feeling that episode gave me is what I would have liked for the series finale.

18. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

As far as satisfying character driven episodes go, I have to add that the episode "The Constant" is probably my all time favorite episode of a dramatic series ever.

19. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I enjoyed the entire run of Lost including the ending. But I will admit that sometimes I think that if you pretend that the boat rescued the survivors on the island at the end of Season 3, it makes for a better series. Lost lost it's way in season 4, 5 and 6. pun intended. I still enjoyed the ride, though.

20. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I loved Lost.

And yet, the idea of rewatching the show from the start is so daunting that I don't think I'd enjoy it.