I kinda feel guilty for enjoying RID for what it is

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by YellowCorvette, Jun 27, 2018.

1. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Riko is still Best Girl

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    This is a bit of a weird thread from me. I know that RID2015 as a show didn't get held on a high regard, and I understand most of the criticism that fans have towards this show. Despite this and having almost everything stand against this show.... I actually think this show isn't all that bad.

That said, seeing almost everyone in this fandom disliking this show and saying that it has no merit at all (Some of those fans even go as far as sending some pretty nasty questions towards Adam Beechan on an Q&A that he held), this is kinda the one time that I kinda ashamed of liking something that almost everyone hates, even after almost 1 year since the show ended. Watching all of those negative RID reviews (Especially DiamondBolt's video on it) just makes me feel a bit guilty and ashamed for liking this show even if I understand where those people are coming from.

Just asking, but should the people that liked RID2015 for what it is be ignored just because their opinion are in the minority? Should the people that enjoyed this show feels guilty and bad for liking it?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  2. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

Of course not. You are entitled to your opinion. While I did enjoy Robots in Disguise, I do have some criticism for it, but that doesn't mean I think anyone who had fun watching it and enjoyed episodes or elements that I didn't should feel bad about that. I've seen people criticize my own personal favorite series, Transformers: Prime, but I feel no shame in calling it one of my all-time favorite cartoons.

Unless it's preaching a hateful message that's downright harmful (which I really don't think RID2015 was doing), I don't think there's any reason to feel ashamed for enjoying something, even when others disagree with you.

• Like Like x 10
  3. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What he said.

And congrats for not letting the mob mentality rule your decision. It can be too easy to convince yourself that you don’t like something, when you have 100 voices all screaming about every single flaw in every single episode week after week after week.
    It happened to me, when Beast Machines was still a new show. It was only after I rewatched it years later, that I found I enjoyed it & didn’t care about all those flaws the fandom was raging about.

I personally love RID despite all its flaws. It’s got heart.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I also enjoyed it. Much more than TFP. One of the big reasons was, because it did not promise things that never happened and did not have plots that did not lead anywhere. It was very enjoyable. Not the cartoon I would wish for, but really entertaining.

• Like Like x 8
  5. Arvegtor

Arvegtor Aerialbot

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    It's not about the show, it's about conformity.

I think this series was good enough. Not great, but still better than Prime. Yes, it has its flaws, but perfection is impossible by definition. And the whole situation with haters is probably not as harsh as for Energon (which is one of the best Transformers series ever for me).

• Like Like x 2
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    You really shouldn't. That's the best way to enjoy something. You don't pretend it's something it isn't or that it does something it it doesn't. It's an honest appreciation.

A lot of people may hate RID because they see it as inferior to Prime, and others may hate RID for totally legitimate reasons. Either way, it's not up to them whether you like it.

• Like Like x 10
  7. Go-Faster-Wings

Go-Faster-Wings Well-Known Member

You shouldn't feel like the opinions of the vocal haters should have any influence on you enjoying a cartoon. I mean, it's a cartoon. It was literally made to be enjoyable, which I think it is very successful at.
    I personally love the series. I love it because of the characters and the long running jokes and the character interaction. If I wanted a plot focused series I would watch Prime, but RID is about the characters for me.

• Like Like x 2
  8. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Riko is still Best Girl

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Thanks for all the replies. I do have some issues with RID2015 (I addressed those in CaptainSlayer's RID2015 thread), but I don't really think it's as bad and has no redeeming quality as most people say it is. This show is not a masterpiece and it never is, but I still like it for what it's trying to do.

At the same time, I'm not asking for everyone to liking it. I just wish that people don't act like the fans of RID2015 are completely wrong for liking it despite of the problems they claim it had (Or at least, give the show a chance instead of hoping on the bandwagon)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:
    Why? As long as it entertained you, its all good and nothing to feel guilty for. Its a nice little show with some cool characters and a fun toyline. I like it too.

• Like Like x 3
  10. AndySupreme99

AndySupreme99 Universe 11

News Credits:
    Why would you even care if anyone likes or hates RID or any other show? as long as you like it,that's okay,really what you like or hate is ONLY up to you,not up to others,if the majority of fans (I admit being among them) hate RID,that's none of your concern,if you love RID,that's none of their concern,everyone has the right to choose and think for themselves,and nobody has any right to influence or change other people's minds.
    Also,most importantly,nobody should ever feel guilty or awkward or in any negative way for having a different opinion,because,like I said,everyone has the right to choose and think for themselves,and everyone is different.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Indie Musician, Scumbag Jesus

people seem to hate RID for..uh…..being a campy Saturday morning cartoon. RID2 is legitimately the closest to Sunbow G1 in spirit that we've had since 1984. It reminds me a lot of Teen Titans and Ben 10. Episodic with "villains of the week" while larger plots loom overhead and get addressed here and there. It's not Shakespeare, it's not faux-epic like Prime. Fans seem to be craving some kind of "grown up" series and that just isn't gonna happen.

RID has a LOT going for it, some people just can't look past their bitterness and the lenses of their own bias to recognize that.

Children and families actually enjoyed it, I met a lot of these parents and kids working at ToysRUs in 2016. Literally everything is neon which is a specific kind of taste, but even if colorful for colorful's sake isn't your thing you should still be able to recognize the high production values. Polygon did some phenomenal work on the series. The music is techno groovy and the voice cast is star studded and deliver consistently strong performances. Not to mention how much of a golden nugget Steeljaw turned out to be.

It's so odd to me that people who grew up loving campy G1 or goofy Beast Wars can't enjoy RID when that series is very much the same approach.

• Like Like x 9
  12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yes, you should feel bad. Very, very bad.

• Like Like x 2
  13. GoLion

GoLion No longer a collector

News Credits:
    Honestly? Between this show and Prime, this show wins hands down. It's fun and it doesn't take itself too seriously. It reminds me of the original cartoon in a lot of ways.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Seriously? Dude, dont feel bad for liking RiD 2.0. Its a good show. Sure it has its flaws and all but if you enjoy it, why feeling guilty? Dont listne to the fandom, listne to your heart,mate. ;) 

15. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    I really enjoyed the first season of RID, I'd even say the first season and a half. I thought it wore a little thin as it went on, but I still enjoy it for what it is. I can't say I thought the finale was extremely great, but I really like how it did something out of the box, with the Cybertronian council and all.

It's been a while since I've seen Prime, but I recall feeling the opposite with that. I liked the third season and the finale, but I thought it started off kind of slow.

I definitely wouldn't feel guilty or ashamed for liking it. At the end of the day it's not really any more stupid or lowbrow than the G1 cartoon. That gets put on a higher pedestal because it's nostalgic and classic, but there's plenty of dumb and embarrassing stuff in it. Watch "Sea Change" if you really want to be embarrassed at Transformers fiction, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TLK Barricade

TLK Barricade Keep calm and Hail Megatron.

I know exactly how you feel. There are far too many people out there who consider their own opinions to be "facts", and have a tendency to treat others very cruelly for disagreeing with those "facts". On YouTube especially, it's gotten to the point where it's almost impossible to share your opinion, no matter what it is, without at least one person ordering you to commit suicide or else they'll murder you. No joke, I've seriously seen people take it that far. People like them are the reason I have trust issues and refuse to talk about myself to anyone I haven't known for very long, because for all I know, if I say, for example, that I like watching Dragon Ball in both Japanese and English instead of only one or the other, they could pull out a knife threaten to repeatedly stab me in heart unless I promise to only watch it in whichever language they prefer.

Please excuse my language, but FOR FUCK'S SAKE, why can't we just agree to disagree like civilized people
    instead of trying to force others into thinking they're only allowed to like what we want them to?!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  17. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot That moment when you realize I'm someone's mom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You feel guilty really? That's silly. That's like being I'm a Yankees fan and I feel guilty because people in Boston don't like the Yankees.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Just a kids cartoon and a toy advert that never tried to pretend to be nothing more than a kids cartoon and a toy advert. It didn't break any new grounds, but it worked well for what it was supposed to be. The animation was fairly polished (and I suppose expensive too) if you compare it with the kids cartoons these days.

The toyline had its fumbles, but also had a few decent figures.

Can't say you should feel bad for liking any of this.

Oh, and...

Loud people on fansites aren't ''everyone" nor are the majority. Especially not for a cartoon that wasn't really aimed at the fandom and it did manage to sell its toyline well enough.

Suggesting that it's a TFP sequel was a mistake on the Hasbro side, though. It did create false expectations, hence the bad rep for the show within the parts of the fandom.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    RID has a sense of perspective and lets its characters have a bit lf fun. Sure, Bee is in charge but he’s also a hair metal fan. Strongarm is the most interesting new character in some time for my money.

Most importantly, the show’s writers aren’t in love with their own sense of self-importance and aren’t dangling serious questions like what it means to be a Prime while ironically having a better handle on the ideas of leaders like Optimus learning to let go and let the bot he has trained prove what a good job he did.

Its a good show and I want the rest of it on Netflix ASAP.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Never, ever, feel guilty for liking something. You like it, then that's good for you! The show must have had some stuff that got your attention and made you love it so much. Sure, not everyone may like it, but everyone has a different taste :D 

• Like Like x 3