I keep reading we have too many tanks

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Torque, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    in the Classics/CHUG lines for Decepicons, yet off the top of my head the only ones i can think of are Galvatron and the G2esque Megatron. Bludgeon too, if you want to put him there. Maybe even Hailstorm, but not really a tank. So given the very few Decepticon Tanks, why is it when characters like Shockwave (or really anyone with an outdated/impossible alt. mode) are talked about, everyone says no tanks because there are too many. Planes are often brought up as an alternative, despite the plethora of jet-formers.

What am I missing?

EDIT::Oops, forgot Darkmount. but when you consider:

Starscream
    Lugnut
    Scourge
    Cyclonus
    Thunderwing
    Terradive
    Mindwipe
    all the seekers

and everyone else i'm forgetting, thats like 6 tanks to like 12 planes.

2. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    People probably see Darkmount/Skullgrin as tanks. I still want Classics Brawl.

3. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    they are-wow, i totally forgot about them. still, with:

Starscream
    Lugnut
    Scourge
    Cyclonus
    Thunderwing
    Terradive
    Mindwipe
    all the seekers

I'm just mildly surprised people say that we have too many tanks and need more planes

EDIT:: Dont get me wrong, i like the idea of the space gun. but given how much of a gun-stickler Hasbro is, i'd rather have a Shockwave Tank over a Shockwave Plane

4. wm10k

wm10k Reanimator of Dead Things

don't forget the upcoming frenzy/rumble toys.

5. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    It's just that we tend to see many tread vehicles as tanks and group them together (straxus, hailstorm, and others)

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

There's also WfC Megatron, Universe 2.0 Dropshot, RTS Mindset (if Hailstorm counts as a tank) and the upcomming Demolition Rumble (I frogot if he's RTS or not), but together with your count that's still not a whole lot of tanks over the course of two whole lines. I guess people don't want Energon Shockwave and his huge arm cannon to return.

7. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Planes typically have a greater variety of shapes/sizes to them in Transformers (line Highbrow, Lugnut, Starscream, Mindwipe, and Cyclonus up next to each other and you'll see what I mean). Tanks on the other hand, may have different sizes/colors, but they're typically the same low, flat shape with a turret. Granted there's a huge difference between Straxus, ROTF Megatron, and Bludgeon, but to me anyway, they don't feel as dynamic as the planes do.

I say "no Shocktank" because while he was great with that alt mode in Animated, most major-character TFs in the Classics lines have modern updates to their G1 alt modes; hence my rant about him needing to be a spacegun in the other thread.

I might've been fine with that figure as a backup if he'd had an ELBOW in that arm of his.

8. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Frenzy/Rumble toys? missed those-anyone have pics?

EDIT::ah, he's a scout! i aways overlook the scouts for some reason

9. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

I think that if they can make Classics Megs into a gun, then they could certainly do the same thing for Shockwave...Either way, it's gonna be cool...

10. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Well there have always been a plethora of bots with flight alt-modes. Tanks were rarer, so when their numbers increase it gets noticed.

11. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Unfortunately neither one of them is gonna end up being a gun again. Classics Megatron sadly cannot even be released again due to toy regulations. So him and Shockwave will have to be something else.

12. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

Man, I read that title and by total instinct I just thought about mmorpgs:lol 

but on topic, well that's decepticons for ya.

13. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I believe Hasbro has said at some point that they wouldn't even be able to reissue Classics Megatron nowadays, so I don't think a gun Shockwave would be likely. As much as I would like a gun Shockwave (like that cancelled Titanium mold...), it's unlikely to happen.

On the topic of the thread, I also think that there isn't much you can do with a tank in terms of design as opposed to a jet.

14. wm10k

wm10k Reanimator of Dead Things

i'd take shockwave as a cybertronian tank over a jet. i don't think he needs a true earth based alt-mode either....cybertronian all the way for him.

15. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    all very good points. i guessi was just surprised, though now that i really think about it, i can kinda see it now. Still personally want more tanks though lol

Especially for Shockwave, who is usually a land-based giant gun (which is like a tank) so for me Shockwave Tank>Jet

16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

And yet we're getting a pretty G1-accurate Legends Megatron who turns into a really small but more realistic gun with an orange cap?

I guess that leaves hope for a G1-style Shockwave w/ gun mode in Legends class. I mean, how complicated is his transformation?

17. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I think we have way too many cars.

18. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, a Legends sized gun would be much easier to get away with than a Deluxe or Voyager sized gun.

And I would absolutely love a Legends class G1 Shockwave!

19. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I personally love tankformers. That said as mentioned earlier there are less variety in tanks overall. And when i think of tankformers i think alt modes that are treaded military land vehicles so i lump half tracks like Straxus in with it as well as Hailstorm. I know those 2 technically are not tanks thats just how i group them for collecting. Planes though have greater variety as mentioned. One of my favorite planes recently is Highbrow. I love the nice WWII alt mode.

20. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love my WFC Shockwave and want his toy to be that. I think it fits him best just like I think a tank fits Megatron best.

But since I've only been collecting for the past what, 6 months maybe? I have four tanks and more jets (Brawl/"Blastoff"/WFC Megatron/Straxis vs two cone heads, Terradive, Thunderwing, Vortex/"Swindle" and the upcoming Thundercracker and Starscream). So bring them on I say. Especially Autobot tanks.