I keep reading we have too many tanks

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Torque, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    in the Classics/CHUG lines for Decepicons, yet off the top of my head the only ones i can think of are Galvatron and the G2esque Megatron. Bludgeon too, if you want to put him there. Maybe even Hailstorm, but not really a tank. So given the very few Decepticon Tanks, why is it when characters like Shockwave (or really anyone with an outdated/impossible alt. mode) are talked about, everyone says no tanks because there are too many. Planes are often brought up as an alternative, despite the plethora of jet-formers.

What am I missing?

EDIT::Oops, forgot Darkmount. but when you consider:

Starscream
    Lugnut
    Scourge
    Cyclonus
    Thunderwing
    Terradive
    Mindwipe
    all the seekers

and everyone else i'm forgetting, thats like 6 tanks to like 12 planes.

2. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    People probably see Darkmount/Skullgrin as tanks. I still want Classics Brawl.

3. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    they are-wow, i totally forgot about them. still, with:

Starscream
    Lugnut
    Scourge
    Cyclonus
    Thunderwing
    Terradive
    Mindwipe
    all the seekers

I'm just mildly surprised people say that we have too many tanks and need more planes

EDIT:: Dont get me wrong, i like the idea of the space gun. but given how much of a gun-stickler Hasbro is, i'd rather have a Shockwave Tank over a Shockwave Plane

4. wm10k

wm10k Reanimator of Dead Things

don't forget the upcoming frenzy/rumble toys.

5. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    It's just that we tend to see many tread vehicles as tanks and group them together (straxus, hailstorm, and others)

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

There's also WfC Megatron, Universe 2.0 Dropshot, RTS Mindset (if Hailstorm counts as a tank) and the upcomming Demolition Rumble (I frogot if he's RTS or not), but together with your count that's still not a whole lot of tanks over the course of two whole lines. I guess people don't want Energon Shockwave and his huge arm cannon to return.

7. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Planes typically have a greater variety of shapes/sizes to them in Transformers (line Highbrow, Lugnut, Starscream, Mindwipe, and Cyclonus up next to each other and you'll see what I mean). Tanks on the other hand, may have different sizes/colors, but they're typically the same low, flat shape with a turret. Granted there's a huge difference between Straxus, ROTF Megatron, and Bludgeon, but to me anyway, they don't feel as dynamic as the planes do.

I say "no Shocktank" because while he was great with that alt mode in Animated, most major-character TFs in the Classics lines have modern updates to their G1 alt modes; hence my rant about him needing to be a spacegun in the other thread.

I might've been fine with that figure as a backup if he'd had an ELBOW in that arm of his.

8. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Frenzy/Rumble toys? missed those-anyone have pics?

EDIT::ah, he's a scout! i aways overlook the scouts for some reason

9. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

News Credits:
    I think that if they can make Classics Megs into a gun, then they could certainly do the same thing for Shockwave...Either way, it's gonna be cool...

10. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Well there have always been a plethora of bots with flight alt-modes. Tanks were rarer, so when their numbers increase it gets noticed.

11. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Unfortunately neither one of them is gonna end up being a gun again. Classics Megatron sadly cannot even be released again due to toy regulations. So him and Shockwave will have to be something else.

12. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Man, I read that title and by total instinct I just thought about mmorpgs:lol 

but on topic, well that's decepticons for ya.

13. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I believe Hasbro has said at some point that they wouldn't even be able to reissue Classics Megatron nowadays, so I don't think a gun Shockwave would be likely. As much as I would like a gun Shockwave (like that cancelled Titanium mold...), it's unlikely to happen.

On the topic of the thread, I also think that there isn't much you can do with a tank in terms of design as opposed to a jet.

14. wm10k

wm10k Reanimator of Dead Things

i'd take shockwave as a cybertronian tank over a jet. i don't think he needs a true earth based alt-mode either....cybertronian all the way for him.

15. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    all very good points. i guessi was just surprised, though now that i really think about it, i can kinda see it now. Still personally want more tanks though lol

Especially for Shockwave, who is usually a land-based giant gun (which is like a tank) so for me Shockwave Tank>Jet

16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

And yet we're getting a pretty G1-accurate Legends Megatron who turns into a really small but more realistic gun with an orange cap?

I guess that leaves hope for a G1-style Shockwave w/ gun mode in Legends class. I mean, how complicated is his transformation?

17. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I think we have way too many cars.

18. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, a Legends sized gun would be much easier to get away with than a Deluxe or Voyager sized gun.

And I would absolutely love a Legends class G1 Shockwave!

19. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I personally love tankformers. That said as mentioned earlier there are less variety in tanks overall. And when i think of tankformers i think alt modes that are treaded military land vehicles so i lump half tracks like Straxus in with it as well as Hailstorm. I know those 2 technically are not tanks thats just how i group them for collecting. Planes though have greater variety as mentioned. One of my favorite planes recently is Highbrow. I love the nice WWII alt mode.

20. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I love my WFC Shockwave and want his toy to be that. I think it fits him best just like I think a tank fits Megatron best.

But since I've only been collecting for the past what, 6 months maybe? I have four tanks and more jets (Brawl/"Blastoff"/WFC Megatron/Straxis vs two cone heads, Terradive, Thunderwing, Vortex/"Swindle" and the upcoming Thundercracker and Starscream). So bring them on I say. Especially Autobot tanks.