I just Went Crazy... Please Advise..

Discussion in 'Transformers Collection Showcase' started by evopete, Jul 6, 2007.

1. evopete

evopete Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well It started with the Entire Voyager Class of toys that my wife said she would get for me for my Birthday one day ( A 4 days ago)...So We got them and a few more including Jazz, Baracade and some other ones....then that night (the Monday the 2nd) we got some more toys as a gift from my mother in law....so the next day I took off work and got the rest of the toys I could I find.... then rested on the 4th...and got a few more........some cash later... I am looking at what has now taken over my dining room...and wondering if I did the right thing....as I never had one transformer as a kid...and now my 2 month old is a great reason to get the toys.... I think... and can live out my child hood dream now that I can......but now the other delema is... do OPEN THEM or DO I LEAVE THEM IN THE BOXES.....I really want to open them and have them displayed (when I get the room and a good showcase). But considering how much I spent...should I just leave them in the boxes... I am not really an avid collector, but I do collect Bit Charges and some Zip Zaps... but nothing serious.....

So Mods, Avid collectors and all others in the middle.. please help and tell me (a non collecter), should I open the toys for display or keep them all in boxes as the set could to be valuable in the future?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Well, to open or not is your call. I'd probably open all or most of them, maybe with the exception of Robovision Prime. I kind of like the MISB look of some figures, but there's no way I'd ever be able to not open an entire series. The thing is, they probably won't be worth much more than MSRP in the future. Maybe an exclusive or shortpacked figure might, but not the majority. With teh advent of eBay everybody and their mother saw that old toys can become valuable and they all think they'll strike it rich... the problem with that is that the reason that old toys MISB and in great shape are expensive is becaue they are RARE. Nobody planned it back then so toys were just opened and enjoyed. With everybody keeping them MISB with the intent of getting rich in the future the market will always be flooded.

*ahem*

Very nice collection, though! I only have a few movie figures (Leader Prime and Megs, Starcream) and they all seem very nice!

3. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

To open them up or not will depend on your preference; I guess you can answer that more easily by asking "Am I going to fiddle with them or pass them down to my kid to fiddle with when he/she's older"?
    On the one hand, if you open them now, they will take up much less space than if you keep them boxed up.
    Like Boo mentioned, the prices on these will stay close to MRSP for quite sometime; it will be very surprising to see any major appreciation in their market value (for the movie toys).

4. Starscreamer17

Starscreamer17 Starscream Lover

I'd open all of them except the exclusives. But open them so you can put them back in the box if you want to store them that way if they end up being worth a ton there in good condition,opened, but still with box. But thats just me :-D

5. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

As Optimus Prime once said:

They're toys, man - open 'em! :) 

6. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Welcome to the dark side....:ev:  and oh, rip open them.

7. ShawnL7

ShawnL7 Old School Transfan

Keep 'em in the boxes. That way they wont ever get messed up or lost, and you can keep them all on display. I dont know about you, but for me it's more astheticaly pleasing to just look at them in the original packaging. And with the new packaging and card backings, they look like hell after you rip the bubble off or tear it back.

8. MegaCepticon

MegaCepticon Well-Known Member

Well since most of the toys you got were given to you, you should open them all up as a sign of appreciation. Unless you don't have room or a way to display them, I say open them!!!

9. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    There isn't much I like to keep MISB. If it's something like from G1 (ala my MISB Starscream) or a special line (i.e. Beast Wars 10th Anniv.) I'd leave them sealed.

However, the movie line is one line I told myself to just open up and have fun with.

10. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I belive these toys wont be much valued in the future due to mass relses and many ppl keep them sealed, becuas they se how much old TF goes for.

11. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    rare tfs keep misb. these things arent anywhere near rare. and to tell you the truth, you'd have more fun opening them. they are fun.

12. snkeyes069

snkeyes069 Legend in his own mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm an MISB collector, but Easterling Capt is dead-on correct. These are being so over-produced that they won't be worth anything in 20 years. Open them and enjoy them. You'll be able to pick up another set to keep MISB when Wal-Mart clearances them in 2 months.

13. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    MISB'er here too.

I look at the toys as display pieces. When they're shown as is, in packaging, clean, and neat ... it looks terrific. Open toys lose their appeal to me after a while ... and just end up going back in the box anyways, so I just leave em.

Here's what I do:
    1. buy the toys brand new and off a shelf. I look for the mint ones. (no bubble dings, straight cardboard, best paint app, no shelfware)
    2. 6 months down the road, I buy doubles on clearance. Since they're on the shelf for half a year, they're BEAT. They're perfect for opening.
    3. I check the Junkion Exhange. People just get rid of their things from time to time. I pick up loose figures for a fraction of the MSRP.

In the end, just do what you want with them. Honestly, out of that entire picture, you'll have more value returning it today, than waiting for future money. On occasion, there might be 1 in there worth something ... but only time dictates that.

14. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Open everything up except Jazz and Brawl. They're not worth opening.

15. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

I'd open em. Enjoy. In a decade or so, they're not gonna net you a sweet profit. Too many people out there with em sealed, having no fun. Save the MISB stuff for single exclusive thingies, and older stuff. These should be all over your place pointing guns at one another!

16. Deonasis

Deonasis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Open them ...that's just what the MISB'ers would want you to do;) 

17. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Funny thing about collecting..Particularly when dealing with the whole open or not open..The reason the older toys are worth what they are, specifically when in the case of MISB is that..No one did it. I don't think (In my personal opinion that is) that people took toy collecting as serious as we do now..People opened and kids played with them..And it was the very few who didn't, that are now making all the money off it. That said, now days, while you have so many people "collecting" and keeping everything sealed..Well, it just won't ever have that value to it..It's to mass produced, to easy to get, and it'll be that way in the future too. These toys today won't be as collectible as their original molds were..So, I say go ahead, and just open them and enjoy!

18. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

I don't have a single TF that I had when I was a kid. Dunno what happened to em. But, I do have memories of having a blast with my TFs and my friends all those years which is why I'm a fan today. I think if I kept them all MISB, I'd have some items to sell today, but apathy towards the entire TF world apart from being 'investments' and that would plain suck.

19. FortressMaximus1976

FortressMaximus1976 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    As far as the movie figures, it MAY depend on what or who the figure is as far as future value...I would say that pretty likely the Robovision or MAYBE leader prime might have some value to it....I have the following movie toys, and right now, they are all MISB:

Leader Prime
    Deluxe Jazz
    Deluxe Barricade
    Voyager Blackout
    Voyager Ironhide
    TRU Desert Attack Blackout/Scorponok

I feel that the TRU Blackout/Scrorpy pack may have some value as its only a TRU exclusive, but I just like the way the movie figures new packaging looks, thats why mine are personally in the packaging..I have about 55% boxed, and 45% loose figures, most of the loose is the original G1 stuff, and most of my boxed stuff is either G1 reissue like the TFC collection or a few G1 sealed items, mainly my MISB G1 mirage which I also put in an ungraded AFA style case.

I think its just personal preference

My 2 cents anyway

20. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Open Open Open Open