I Just Spent $23,000

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AngryChad, May 12, 2011.

1. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ...and I'm kind of freaking out right now, but in a good way. I think.

I'm finally getting my basement waterproofed, so I figured why not go whole-hog and get it finished too.

Anyone else have experience with this? I'd love to hear your stories, good or bad.

2. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

What, spending $23,000 or waterproofing a basement? I have experience with neither.

3. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I myself have done waterproofing as a contractor before. Not entirely fun, especially when you have to tear out old walls that are caved in.

4. AngryChad

News Credits:
    Obviously I'm talking about spending $23,000 *exactly*. I don't want to hear stories about people spending $22,000 or $23,001 :rolleyes2 

Just looking for stories of generally expensive home improvements, I guess. Lessons learned, that kind of thing.

That seems like just about the biggest pain in the ass I can imagine, in terms of home improvements. How would you even keep all the dirt back; from just caving in?

Luckily mine isn't so bad. Most of the cost is for the finishing. Waterproofing-wise, I'm just having a modified French Drain put in.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  5. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I assume you mean once you dig it out while doing the work? If so: You'd be suprised at how well dirt will hold up, a lot of it is just naturally compacted and stays in position once you back-hoe it out. But then again, Ohio has a lot of "clay" dirt. Stays nice and solid and holds up pretty well.

If you are refering to walls caving in: Dirt still holds up rather well, a constant watering with cause it to possibly start caving in the walls, but that is over time(not to mention, possible bad building). We had this real bad one, where the wall was bowing inward, the wall was roughly...40 ft long, and we had to brace the house up, tear out the old wall, and rebuild it. You can imagine that being a pain in the ass to say the least. But, when I was a contractor, i've seen so many mind boggling things.

6. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have very little field experience, but ironically I'm in the middle of drawing waterproofing details for a zinc-clad concrete block wall.

So uh, if if you want that, let me know. :lol 

7. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

That's about what my Miata project is gonna cost.
    Turbo kit alone is 5k.

8. Arcee

Arcee Optimus Scourge Forever TFW2005 Supporter

Spending the money now is worth it because water can cause a ton of damage that will cost u a lot more than 23k to fix it.

9. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Thats both good and bad. Good because it will give you piece of mind in the furture, but bad becuase 23000 is a lot to spend on something that isn't fun.

Also, make sure you talk to your home insurance company, maybe they will give you a discount after the work is done.

10. AngryChad

News Credits:
    Awesome tip. I will try that. Thanks!

11. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Heck, me and my dad installed a french drain for our house. We dug a trench over 200 some odd feet long, with a gradual down slope. Cost us less than 200 dollars for the pipe, landscaping cloth. If you just blew that kind of money, wait till you get new window's.

12. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm sure you've looked into the tax credit as well, but it bears repeating.

How much square footage is this all told? Big plans for the finished space?

13. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Ohh man have I got some stories. Ok, so I bought this house a year and a half ago and my parents and I pretty much gutted the place. We put in new counters, tore down walls, put up walls, closed off walls, moved plumbing, tore up foundation for a second bathroom, put in a bigger tub, tiled the bathroom, finnished the ceiling in the garage, put in the kitchen sink, landscaped the back yard, replaced all the doors, and painted all the rooms. And installed new flooring. All said that probably wound up costing a total of around 23000 as well but totally worth it since my place is now awesome!

14. AngryChad

News Credits:
    That's actually a big part of the reason we waited until this year to do it. The energy saver tax credit we got for the the bay window we put in at the beginning of last year was HUGE. They've reduced the maximum deductible amount this year, so we wont get as much back for this, but it'll still help.

TRANSFORMERS!

But mostly it'll be a giant carpeted living space since we're going to try to have kids soon. It's a full basement, so this upgrade will essentially double our usable living space from a little over 1,000 square feet to 2k.

Back to the important stuff though, I'll finally have space for the two extra cabinets (for a total of three) so I can display my meager, mostly G1, collection.

15. AngryChad

News Credits:
    Tell me about it. The one bay window was 4k all by itself.

16. AngryChad

News Credits:
    With the next 23k I will hire you and your parents to do the same to my house. That sounds awesome.

17. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Yeah... it was an intense year. I got the keys the day before Thanksgiving in 2009 and just finally moved in in December. We did a lot of the work ourselves, but some of it was contracted like the electrical and windows. Now the garage has 2 8ft flourescent lights and it makes a really good work space for customizing.

On the upside, since we've done so much of it ourselves I feel like I'm prepared to handle anything that can go wrong.

18. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

I want a townhouse or a condo now lol

2010, in March my son was born and one week later on the 10th I closed on my house.

I didn't move in until July, she got her stuff here at the beginning of the mth and I moved my crap 2 weeks or so later.

New carpet, holes, plumbing, tile, you name it. What wasn't replaced was scrubbed, disassembled and cleaned.(people were pigs plus one)

Still working on repairing everything in the apartment over the garage since it was as bad as the house was.

I sank as much here in all of that as you have.

I will spare u the details of the 2 cast iron bath tubs I hauled from my backyard as well as pool liners(*2) and various, doors, windows, full garage doors etc.............................................

Still I look at it and go damn its come a long way, then I'm like damn, "Still more shit to do" lol

I'm jealous of you apartment or town home dwellers now

No if I was finishing a basement, I would frame it all in myself as well as hang as much of the drywall as I could and then pay someone else to come in and mud and finish it, you will save a fortune.

Good side note, if you are in a wet or low area, plan ahead for any further water issues now, sush as using indoor/outdoor style carpeting down there and possibly having them put the water path/ditch around the edges of the basement back to the sump pump.(even go so far as a little generator for sump pump power if bad power outage occurs)

19. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

I spent about 20K tearing my 72 Monte Carlo down to the last bolt and rebuilding it. Fortunately for me it was spread out over 5 years but still. The good news is I taught myself how to paint, weld and do body work and have an ass load of tools now and the car came out fantastic in my opinion...

[​IMG]

20. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Buying a house. It's more than worth it...but it sure hurt signing my name.