I just saw the world premier of "Superman: Doomsday" at SDCC...(*Spoilers*)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gears, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    "Superman: Doomsday"-- I just saw the world premier at SDCC...(*Spoilers*)

Now this is what a Superman movie should be! The movie won't be out on DVD until September 18, but at SDCC we were treated to the world Premier showing. Although it wasn't perfect, it was pretty awesome, and by far DC's best animated showing yet. The animation was unreal. Also it was more hard edge than anything from DC, including some profanity, and lots of blood and death of humans at the hands of Doomsday. I lost track of how many humans you see him clearly kill. The movie did seem to run a bit fast but that is to be expected considering how long the original story arc ran in the comics. There was no Cyborg Superman in the movie, or Superboy, which for me was disappointing. But Bruce Timm did a pretty good job orchestrating this retelling of the "Death of Superman" and I think alot of you will be happy when you see it on DVD. All of the voice talent is new, but they did an outstanding job, IMO. Adam Baldwin from Serenity plays Supes and he is great. Also James Marsters plays the most evil Lex Luthor yet, even going as far as to shoot Mercy in the head to cover his loose tracks. Anne Heche is Lois and she's decent. Overall I really liked the movie in retrospect and the crowd there loved it too. If anyone has any questions about the movie, fire away...

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Nice review, C. You did a nice job with a balance of good + bad and you were concise. Based on your review, I'd like to see it :thumb 

Sounds like this was your more enjoyable venture at SDCC . . .

3. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

I was there and saw it too, but I was not all that impressed. Good action yes, animation was great too. Changes to voice actors, characters (Superman looking old, Lex looking way young and acting odd at times) and story (the "Dark" Superman) I wasn't too fond of. Probably can't say too much more without spoiler warnings.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review. I am definitely getting this. Been waiting for it (and anything new from the DC WB world) for a long time. I hear that there will be a trailer for a new JLA animated movie in the DVD also. I wish they would try their hands at Infinity Crisis.

5. Ogami Daigoro

They showed a little teaser for Justice League: The New Frontier as well. It looked somewhat interesting. Again, why the voice cast changes yet again, I don't understand. Not very familiar with that storyline either, but it had promise. They showed some stuff with Superman and Green Lantern in separate scenes and had a lot of talking head stuff. But you can pretty much forget Infinite Crisis as a story. There didn't seem to be any interest in doing that story at all, especially with the amount of characters involved.

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whoa! Thanks for the review! I can't wait to see it too...and I'm kinda surprised that the movie showed Doomsday killing folks...that's pretty hardcore! XD

7. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

How long was it?

8. Teratron

Teratron Kaiser Dragon

I was so disappointed last night. The Doomsday screening was probably the thing I was most looking forward to from the Comic Con. Didn't get there until around 6 due to work and the buses running late. Spent a little time on the exhibition floor before heading up to the theater. Quickly realized there was no way I was getting in to the early showing, and I couldn't stay for the late showing. Guess I'll just have to wait for the DVD. :( 

I was under the impression that Bruce Timm, Adam Baldwin, & some of the others were going to talk before and/or after the first showing. Anything interesting come from that?

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice. Thanks for that. I guess it's not horrible that we won't get IC as a cartoon. There's a good thing about getting fresh new stories and not just seeing the comic animated: something I do anyway when I read them.

10. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sounds like I'll definitely be picking this up. :D 

And on any Crisis as a cartoon: I think it'd end up kinda poor, if they did it. Given the usual Crisis cast-size, would probably end up with a lot of characters never actually saying anything, just showing up. :/

11. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it was 78 minutes. There was a panel after the movie with Bruce Timm and some of the other people involved in making the movie. He said the voices were re-cast because this movie takes place in a different continuity than the previous JLU animated continuity. Superman is the only superhero in this continuity. This was done to give his death more meaning. Also Timm said that as long as we buy the DVDs, they will look into adapting more classic DC stories into animated movies. A person mentioned Batman Hush and Batman Long Halloween during a question and answer session, and everyone in the crowd got excited. Also the trailer for JL: New Frontier kicked all kinds of ass.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was very dissapointed when they canceled JLU, in my opinion one of the only good cartoons on TV at the time. So if they provide the goods on DVD, I will buy them. They did a hellova job on JLA and JLU, and the Superman and Batman cartoons of the 90's

13. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I can deal with it... after all, the last episode did seem like a definite ending.

And again, marvel gets lapped in the animation race...

14. Ogami Daigoro

Well, Marvel gets 'em in live action...

I just don't understand why they need to make all of these changes at every turn. The Mask of the Phantasm was a standalone Batman movie, but used many people from the series. I'd think that would augment the popularity in the end. The same thing could be done with Justice League. It would depend on the story being used, but written and adapted well they could still make great stuff within continuity or at least keep voice actors and production teams.

It's all about money and laziness with these people. Forget art for art's sake, even if it is commercial art.